Windows 10: Cloning win 10 to an internal ssd via external usb rack connection

Discus and support Cloning win 10 to an internal ssd via external usb rack connection in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi! My friend got a very old computer and tomorrow i have to set up a new computer for her, and i will have to migrate the win 10 from the old IDE HD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by mezon, Jan 18, 2020.

1. mezon Win User

Cloning win 10 to an internal ssd via external usb rack connection

Hi!

My friend got a very old computer and tomorrow i have to set up a new computer for her, and i will have to migrate the win 10 from the old IDE HD to the new SSD. I cannot connect the old HD to the new computer and vice versa (no connectors on motherboards).
    Is there any free tool that can format, and clone win10 system partition if i put the new SSD into an external rack and plug it via USB into the old computer? Will this new ssd be bootable if i remove it from the rack after the process and put it into the new computer as an internal SATA HD?

Thanks

:)

mezon, Jan 18, 2020

2. Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

Hi,

I'm not using the SATA ports. I'm using M.2 with the SSD, and the external SSD is connected to my PC using USB. My MB only has only one M.2 socket, so I can only plug in one SSD at a time. (I bought a wrong adapter that doesn't work with NVMe) So I cloned
    my old SSD to an external SSD (Samsung M3 Portable SSD), and then swapped the old one, cloned the external SSD to my new SSD.

I tried AOMEI too, but the free version does not come with disk clone functions. I would probably try Macrium Reflect as suggested above. Thank you!

allenyao09, Jan 18, 2020
  3. OAO
    oao Win User
    Cloning SSD via External USB Drive

I just acquired a second laptop identical to the one I have. I will have exactly the same configuration on both and keep them in sync. I need to clone the SSD to the new SSD, but I don't have access to a desktop or eSATA port.
    Is there a way to use Macrium Reflect to clone the SSD to an external USB drive and then clone the USB drive to the new SSD? Caveat: old SSD 256GB, new 128GB, but the old has much less than 128GB filled.

If not, any other suggestions I could accomplish this?

4. Cloning win 10 to an internal ssd via external usb rack connection

Migrating to a SSD - clone or fresh install?

Also to make it clear when cloning both the source (your hard drive) and the destination drive (your SSD) must both be connected.

When Imaging only the source (hard drive) and an external USB drive to store the image need be connected. After the Image Backup is created you remove the hard drive, connect the SSD and restore the image (using the image backup product's "Recovery Media"
    which you need to create and boot from) to the SSD. Most products also have a "SSD" option check box to properly configure the SSD offset.

You can read a product's user's guide to see exactly what step are required for cloning or imaging.

: http://www.pagestart.com

J W Stuart, Jan 18, 2020
Thema:

Cloning win 10 to an internal ssd via external usb rack connection

1. Cloning win 10 to an internal ssd via external usb rack connection - Similar Threads - Cloning internal ssd

2. Clone a Windows 11 external SSD installation to internal ssd partition of Steam Deck

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone a Windows 11 external SSD installation to internal ssd partition of Steam Deck: Let me describe what I currently have and what I would like to do. I have my Steam Deck set up with Windows 11 installed on an external SSD. When I want to use Windows on my Steam Deck, I shut down the Deck, plug in the SSD, start up, and I'm running Windows.Here's what I...
  3. Clone a Windows 11 external SSD installation to internal ssd partition of Steam Deck

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clone a Windows 11 external SSD installation to internal ssd partition of Steam Deck: Let me describe what I currently have and what I would like to do. I have my Steam Deck set up with Windows 11 installed on an external SSD. When I want to use Windows on my Steam Deck, I shut down the Deck, plug in the SSD, start up, and I'm running Windows.Here's what I...
  4. How to system clone an external hard drive to internal ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to system clone an external hard drive to internal ssd: I recently got my laptop hdd replaced with an ssd and needed the entire system cloned but I guess the technician didn't understand because he gave me a laptop with a fresh windows 10 copy and only the user profile files stored in a folder called backup Is it possible to...
  5. *noob alert* moving clone of old SSD to new SSD via USB?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    *noob alert* moving clone of old SSD to new SSD via USB?: submitted by /u/Equivalent-Panic-262 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lo8j8h/noob_alert_moving_clone_of_old_ssd_to_new_ssd_via/
  6. Clone system to an external bootable USB / SSD (Wintogo system)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone system to an external bootable USB / SSD (Wintogo system): Hi folks while Ms seems to be deprecating the Windows to go idea (currently its only officially available when "Certified" devices are used and you use Windows enterprise you can easily make a Windows to go from any Windows edition -- the problem is that most of the Free...
  7. Accessing external harddisk connected via USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Accessing external harddisk connected via USB: How do I make a connected USB drive (ie, an external harddisk connected via a USB port) visible in the File Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/accessing-external-harddisk-connected-via-usb/2ca4e8e3-10bc-4bc6-a639-4c7676d320a2
  8. Cloning SSD via External USB Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning SSD via External USB Drive: I just acquired a second laptop identical to the one I have. I will have exactly the same configuration on both and keep them in sync. I need to clone the SSD to the new SSD, but I don't have access to a desktop or eSATA port. Is there a way to use Macrium Reflect to clone...
  9. Issue Connecting Internal HD in Enclosure via USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Issue Connecting Internal HD in Enclosure via USB: I am using a Purex hard drive enclosure ( https://www.amazon.com/PUREX-Technol.../dp/B00AI41RCS) with a 3tb Western Digial internal hard drive that I just bought in it and trying to use it to create a system image. It is connected via usb to my pc. The drive inside is...
  10. Fresh Clean install, or Via Cloning/Imaging? to migrate Win 10 to SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh Clean install, or Via Cloning/Imaging? to migrate Win 10 to SSD?: First sorry for my poor english. here's a problem: My Original OS is come from Win 7 Professional 64 bit (from my Academic/MSDNAA ), and then I successfully upgrade it into Win 10 Pro 64bit (fully activated). Have been use that fully activated OS on my machine for years...