Windows 10: Cloning Windows 10 + Steam games from hdd to M.2 sdd AND reinstalling Windows 10 w/out...

Discus and support Cloning Windows 10 + Steam games from hdd to M.2 sdd AND reinstalling Windows 10 w/out... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey all, I haven't used windows in quite awhile and just recently bought a used 2017ish Asus GL552VW budget gaming laptop i7 2.6ghz, 16gb ram, GTX 960m... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by stanfargo, Mar 22, 2020.

1. stanfargo Win User

Cloning Windows 10 + Steam games from hdd to M.2 sdd AND reinstalling Windows 10 w/out...

Hey all, I haven't used windows in quite awhile and just recently bought a used 2017ish Asus GL552VW budget gaming laptop i7 2.6ghz, 16gb ram, GTX 960m to play various Steam games I know I won't be able to play newer AAA titles, mainly got it to catch up on sub-$10 RPGs from the past 15 years, came with activated Windows 10 home on a 1tb hdd. I have a Toshiba 500gb M.2 sata sdd on the way, and I'd like to transfer everything to that and just use the 1tb hdd as storage for non-operational files pics, music, etc. The Asus's previous owner deleted and uninstalled most of their stuff, but it boots and runs slower and with more hiccups than I experience on my daily driver 2013 MBP i7 3ghz, 8gb ram, 500gb ssd that's never had an OS reinstall. Even though cloning to the M.2 ssd will possibly/hopefully fix a lot of the general lethargy, I'm worried there will still be unseen bloatware/malware/etc in the background from the previous owner's use that may continue slowing things down or making games not run as well as they could.

I've been researching my options and it looks like I can clone the entire disk image from the hdd to the M.2 sdd and reset Windows through the system tool, but I'm confused about whether it's possible to keep all the Steam games I've already downloaded and started playing or if I'll have to re-download everything. Seems like it wants to erase them even if I choose the "Keep my files" option in the reset tool. I only have phone internet at home with 22gb 4g + 15gb hotspot/month, limited options for fast/reliable wifi nearby so mostly use Steam offline, meaning Steam online game saving is less of an option and would be ideal to not have to redownload everything. Given all this, what's my best option? Can I do a full Windows 10 reset after I've cloned to the M.2, then just copy and paste the Steam files from the 1tb hdd to the M.2 sdd before wiping the hdd and they'll run just fine? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

:)

stanfargo, Mar 22, 2020

2. SDD and a HDD windows 10

I have Windows 10 installed on a 525gb SDD. I have a 1tb HDD that I'm using for my data. I've been reading a lot of conflicting tweaks to use on the SDD. Help!

1. Should I eliminate the swap on the SDD? I do a have a windows managed swap file on the HDD.

2. Should I turn off indexing on the SDD?

3. Should I turn off system restore on the SDD?

Most of the articles I've been reading have been a couple of years old. I know that the current SDDs are better but do these same tweaks apply now?

Any info and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

saturn7110x, Mar 22, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 22, 2020
  4. MrGenius Win User

Cloning Windows 10 + Steam games from hdd to M.2 sdd AND reinstalling Windows 10 w/out...

[Solved] Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142

I noticed quite some time ago that KB3119142 (Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package) kept reinstalling itself for some reason. At least once daily. Sometimes up to several times a day. I just ignored it. It didn't seem to be doing any harm. And I figured they'd eventually fix it. Well...days turned into weeks, weeks into months, with no end to the problem in sight. It dragged on unsolved for at least the last few months. Literally reinstalling itself hundreds of(at least a hundred, felt like more) times in that period of time.

So I finally googled it a couple days ago. And just got around to fixing it today. Which appears to have worked. And it couldn't have been easier to do. I feel so stupid to have let it intimidate me for so long.*Oops! Cloning Windows 10 + Steam games from hdd to M.2 sdd AND reinstalling Windows 10 w/out... :oops:
    Below are links to the thread that I got the fix idea from, and the official MS support info page for KB3119142(from which I quoted the above).
    http://www.tenforums.com/windows-up...-windows-10-keeps-reinstalling-kb3119142.html
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3119142

MrGenius, Mar 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Cloning Windows 10 + Steam games from hdd to M.2 sdd AND reinstalling Windows 10 w/out... - Similar Threads - Cloning Steam games

2. How to Boot Windows 10 from Cloned M.2 NVME

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Boot Windows 10 from Cloned M.2 NVME: Hi I hope you can assist meI have been succesfully running windows 10 on a 4 year old M.2 NVME Disk 0 which has a read speed of around 374mb and a write speed of around 150mbs.I have just purchased another larger M.2 NVME with read and write speeds infinately superior to the...
  3. How to Boot Windows 10 from Cloned M.2 NVME

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Boot Windows 10 from Cloned M.2 NVME: Hi I hope you can assist meI have been succesfully running windows 10 on a 4 year old M.2 NVME Disk 0 which has a read speed of around 374mb and a write speed of around 150mbs.I have just purchased another larger M.2 NVME with read and write speeds infinately superior to the...
  4. How to Boot Windows 10 from Cloned M.2 NVME

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Transfer of windows 10 from HDD to m.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer of windows 10 from HDD to m.2 SSD: Recently I bought m.2 SSD and want to install in my laptop. I don't know the exact procedure of it. I want to make m.2 SSD a system drive or drive c without losing any data. How can i shift windows 10 operating system from HDD to m.2 SSD safely with all files?...
  6. Reinstall windows from hdd to m.2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstall windows from hdd to m.2: Want to reinstall windows from my hdd to m.2 due to running into many performance issues. I have a Windows media creation on a USB. submitted by /u/Lakeroad1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l8wylm/reinstall_windows_from_hdd_to_m2/
  7. transfer windows 10 from hdd to sdd

transfer windows 10 from hdd to sdd: Hello I have a genuine licensed windows 10 installed in my computer HDD and I want to replace HDD with SDD. Is there any way to transfer genuine windows 10 from my computer hdd to new SDD without voiding license? THANK YOU!...
  8. cloning hdd to NVMe m.2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cloning hdd to NVMe m.2: if i clone my hdd to a nvme m.2 using something like macrium will windows use the right driver for nvme on boot or would i need to reinstall to get correct drivers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cloning-hdd-to-nvme-m2/a8055614-e138-453d-a75f-15a6d457735e
  9. Windows 10 hdd to m.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 hdd to m.2 ssd: Hi guys, I’m just wondering if I can or how hard / easy it is to move windows 10 from a hard drive to an m.2 ssd. Thanks in advance for any help :) submitted by /u/oscarfowes [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hhz2r2/windows_10_hdd_to_m2_ssd/
  10. Cloning OS from SSD to M.2

Cloning OS from SSD to M.2: I'm ordering my first M.2 drive and I need advice. 500g ssd to 500g m.2 Can I clone the OS? What program should I use to clone? Should I just reinstall windows? 149234