Windows 10: Cloning Windows 10 to smaller SSD

Discus and support Cloning Windows 10 to smaller SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to clone my 2 TB HD, with only 300 GB used, to a new 480 GB SSD, and keep getting "not enough space" to finish transferring, etc.....I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gilhow, Aug 6, 2016.

1. gilhow Win User

Cloning Windows 10 to smaller SSD

I'm trying to clone my 2 TB HD, with only 300 GB used, to a new 480 GB SSD, and keep getting "not enough space" to finish transferring, etc.....I thought since the used portion (300 GB) being less than the target drive (480 GB SSD) this was a possibility with Macrium reflect/free....I'd appreciate any information on how to do this, or if it's not possible?
    Thanks, Gil Howard

:)

gilhow, Aug 6, 2016
  2. qinada Win User

Clone a 1 Tb drive to a 512 Mb SSC

Hi Vaughn,

You can
    clone larger HDD to small SSD
    with a professional disk cloning software as long as the used space is smaller than the SSD. You will not worry it will clone the unused space unless you use sector by sector clone mode.

I suggest you to clone your HDD to SSD with AOMEI Backupper, if the used space is larger than the SSD, you can clone only the OS to SSD and keep the HDD as data storage. This software is very easy to operate.

qinada, Aug 6, 2016
  3. den.ward Win User
    Windows activation key

I upgraded the SSD to a larger capacity. I cloned the smaller SSD on to the larger SSD. It boots.

Now the PC is telling me that I need to activate Windows. I called Microsoft and they put me into an automated activation key process. It was not successful.

Can someone advise me on how to recover the activation key from the smaller SSD? It came, Windows 10 enabled, with the machine.

den.ward, Aug 6, 2016
  4. aardvark Win User

Hi Gil,

Yes, it can be done but I never did it using Macrium. I believe the ability to clone depends on the actual size of the partitions (and not the used space inside). Also, I think it would be advisable to post a disk management screenshot of your current drive so the person that will be helping you can actually see what you are dealing with and advise accordingly. Now, me being a dummy, I would most likely opt to shrink the partition before I cloned it but that may not be the best way to do it. Someone will be along to give you specific directions I'm sure. Good luck!

aardvark, Aug 6, 2016
  5. gilhow Win User
    H Aardvark....Thanks for your quick reply! I saw in the video Cloning Windows 10 to smaller SSD :)HowTo*Smile Hard Drive to Solid State Drive (HDD-2-SSD) Step-By-Step Cloning w/Macrium Reflect - YouTube that changing the partitions will prevent you from using the recovery partition, later, in case you need it, UNLESS you know what you're doing; obviously I don't, as it looked so easy in his video, but when I tried it, the response was "not enough room" or similar.....I must have tried to resize the "wrong" partition..... I think your idea to include my disk partition info as a screen shot is a good idea....I'll try to include that.
    Gil

gilhow, Aug 6, 2016
  6. I tried it but could never get it to work. It was so long ago now I don't remember what error messages I got. The not enough room sounds familiar though? Even when I thought I had it licked, it wouldn't boot from the disk. I just gave up and did a clean install. This was with a Windows 8.0 UEFI install. Many moons ago.

alphanumeric, Aug 6, 2016
  7. essenbe Win User
    I've done it, but first you have to get the used space down and get the partitions like you want them to be on the SSD. A clone is an exact duplicate. Although the prep work is about the same, why not think about taking an image and restoring it to the SSD?

essenbe, Aug 6, 2016
  8. aardvark Win User

@gilhow: It appears he shrinks the (source drive) C partition at around 08:51 (after dragging it to the new SSD) in that video. The guy doing it sounds quite apprehensive so I would listen to the experts here and work with them. Good luck!

aardvark, Aug 6, 2016
  9. gilhow Win User
    Yeah, I think you're right; I must have chosen the wrong partition, but what is the moderator talking about; have to get the "used space" down.....it's already down! It's 300 GB and the SSD is 480 GB.....the "partition" is 1.8 "unused", and I'm sure you're right; I need to shrink it to something less than 480 minus the "not allocated" partition size.....

I have another question: If I don't succeed at cloning my HD/ operating system (win 10 pro) is there a way to "still" (I know the free download date just ended) install win 10 onto my SSD, which, of course, is brand new and no operating system on it?

I appreciate everyone's thoughts!

gilhow, Aug 6, 2016
  10. topgundcp Win User
    Cloning will not work since the destination disk is smaller capacity (480GB) than the source disk (2TB), it does not matter if you have only 300GB of data in the source and also not advisable even if you can (different disk might have different cluster size). You'd need to copy instead.
    Note: Source disk is 238GB, destination is 139GB. Click on Clone, select the destination disk (make sure it's unallocated ie. donot format), drag each partition then drop onto the destination disk to copy. Cluster size will be aligned correctly

Cloning Windows 10 to smaller SSD [​IMG]

topgundcp, Aug 6, 2016
  11. essenbe Win User
    Topgun, if he resized the C partition small enough he could do it.

essenbe, Aug 6, 2016
  12. gilhow Win User
    Well, I thought it was going to work......I only have 3 partitions in my 2 TB HD, with 300 MB used. This time, when I dragged the lst partition, it showed only the 300 MB transferring to the available 450 or so SSD; no problem, then dragged the 2nd partition (recovery partition) and it wouldn't fit, so reduced it about 30 MB and viola, it fit.....clicked on backup and it worked for about 15-20 minutes, then "clone failed"....reasons given were failure to read....and failure to write....The reason I bought a new SSD was that I got innumerable error messages, that my HD was failing, collaborated by 3rd party software (Acronis). I had read that bad sectors wouldn't make a difference when cloned, as they wouldn't be copied; then, I also read that it does make a difference......I'd say from this first experience, it does. Please let me know what you guys think; it definitely seems possible to clone from a larger HD to a smaller one, if your source disk (and target, I suppose, but mine is new) is healthy.....

gilhow, Aug 6, 2016
  13. topgundcp Win User

As said above. Even if he could clone it, it is not advisable. Different HD has different cluster size plus sometimes you's have disk signature collision.
    @OP
    • Are you running any Anti Virus ? if so, temporarity disable it.
    • Run Chkdsk on the 2TB drine with /r option
    • Did you clean your SSD and leave it unallocated ?

topgundcp, Aug 6, 2016
  14. Just use AOMEI partition assistant.It worked without issues cloning my 1Tb HD to my 240G SSD as well as on others for my friends and family.Just choose the option to resize to fit the new drive and you're all set.I found it to be easy to work with and it's free.

MarioAndretti, Aug 6, 2016
  15. Does Cloning (Macrium) use "Intelligent Sector Copy" or "Forensic Copy"?

Perhaps if it uses "Forensic Copy", there may be data blocks on the source HDD that are outside of the range of the target SSD?

lehnerus2000, Aug 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Cloning Windows 10 to smaller SSD - Similar Threads - Cloning smaller SSD

2. How to upgrade 256 Sata SSD with a NvME 1 TB SSD and clone the existing smaller SSD to my...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to upgrade 256 Sata SSD with a NvME 1 TB SSD and clone the existing smaller SSD to my...: Hello!I Have an Asus Laptop and I want to upgrade the SSD, I currently have installed a 1 TB HDD in the laptop and i'm wondering if its possible to clone the smaller SSD into the Hard Drive to install the new SSD. I've looked for many tutorials but I haven't found any case as...
  3. Cloning a large drive to a smaller drive,

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning a large drive to a smaller drive,: I have a 1 Terabyte drive that I want to clone to a 500 gig M2 SSD. Would it be better if I split that drive in half to 500gig. The C drive would be a 500 gig partition and the other 500 would be a separate partition. I would then just clone the C drive partition to the SSD....
  4. Cloning a large drive to a smaller drive,

Cloning a large drive to a smaller drive,: I have a 1 Terabyte drive that I want to clone to a 500 gig M2 SSD. Would it be better if I split that drive in half to 500gig. The C drive would be a 500 gig partition and the other 500 would be a separate partition. I would then just clone the C drive partition to the SSD....
  5. Cloning to a Smaller SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning to a Smaller SSD: What is a decent cloning product that can clone from a larger hdd to a smaller ssd, either paid or free. There's not a lot on the old drive. It's version 2004 of Windows 10. I'm unable to get to the boot menu or the bios using the novo button on a Lenovo Z580 for some...
  6. Cloning to a Smaller SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning to a Smaller SSD: What is a decent cloning product that can clone from a larger hdd to a smaller ssd, either paid or free. There's not a lot on the old drive. 173366
  7. Cannot clone drive to smaller drive

Cannot clone drive to smaller drive: Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 2004 Installed on 10/14/2020 OS build 19041.572 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0 I have used Minitool Partition Wizard for several clone jobs. Never had a problem up to now. The thing different is now I am cloning a...
  8. Is Macrium a good app to clone a system hdd to a much smaller ssd?

Is Macrium a good app to clone a system hdd to a much smaller ssd?: Is Macrium a reliable programme to clone a system HDD to a much smaller SSD? 64651
  9. Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.

Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.: Hello there I purchased a Crucial MX300 525gb SSD to upgrade my laptop storage, that has an Intel Opal SSD 180gb on it. I need more space My idea was to clone the information from one SSD (intel is now inside the laptop) to the bigger SSD (using an USB-SATA cable and...
  10. SSD Clone to SSD

SSD Clone to SSD: Hey, I am cloning several computers for work with the exact same hardware. I have a working computer with a SSD and HDD. When I clone the SSD and start up the same computer with the SSD switched windows will not load and it gives me the standard missing required files to...