Windows 10: cloning with Macrium

Discus and support cloning with Macrium in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ICIT2LOL, Oct 26, 2020.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

cloning with Macrium

I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk , formatting the disk with exfat deleting the volumes so that the disk becomes empty and even tried it with the disk marked as RAW.
    However much I try I keep coming back to failing with error 8 any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated as I have tried reinstalling Windows onto the larger drive but for some reason the net connection just keeps dropping out so I feel a clone is the only way I can fix what I want to do.

Am at the moment cloning one of my other machines and am going to try cloning staright to thathoping the smaller disk will clone by overwriting the clone I am making.

:)

ICIT2LOL, Oct 26, 2020
  2. WinstonR Win User

Access to cloned HD

Hi Dave,

I used Macrium Reflect (MR) to clone the SSD. It is quite possible the cloning operation did not succeed in creating a bootable drive. I have used it successfully in the past for several clones. How can I determine

• if the boot instructions came over with the clone?
    • or should I try cloning the drive again?
    This computer is a Dell refurbed workstation and I am uncertain if it was set up in a RAID configuration although it came with only 1 rotating hard drive.

WinstonR, Oct 26, 2020
  3. Cloning an external HDD

Doing a clean Install while switching hard drive is always recommend due to the fact that the hardware configuration of each PC is different.

What I suggest is to Clone the other data partitions except C:

Use Macrium reflect a freeware for this.

Cloning a disk - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 26, 2020
  4. hfffoman Win User

cloning with Macrium

start menu doesn't work on OS cloned with Aomei

Thanks. I did this and it worked exactly as suggested. Problem solved.

hfffoman, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

cloning with Macrium

1. cloning with Macrium - Similar Threads - cloning Macrium

2. Which is the Best App for Cloning the Drive C: Macrium, Minitools Partition, Aoemei or EaseUS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which is the Best App for Cloning the Drive C: Macrium, Minitools Partition, Aoemei or EaseUS: Hi Backup friends.I'd like to have another bootable drive C: on the ready but in your experience which is the best app for cloning the drive C:a. Macriumb. Minitools Partitionc. Aomeid. EaseUSc. Windows 11's built in mirroring/Raid 1 I heard it needs 2 backup disks, I don'...
  3. Which is the Best App for Cloning the Drive C: Macrium, Minitools Partition, Aoemei or EaseUS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which is the Best App for Cloning the Drive C: Macrium, Minitools Partition, Aoemei or EaseUS: Hi Backup friends.I'd like to have another bootable drive C: on the ready but in your experience which is the best app for cloning the drive C:a. Macriumb. Minitools Partitionc. Aomeid. EaseUSc. Windows 11's built in mirroring/Raid 1 I heard it needs 2 backup disks, I don'...
  4. Can't log into an HDD cloned from a Win10 laptop using Macrium Reflect. Any troubleshooting...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't log into an HDD cloned from a Win10 laptop using Macrium Reflect. Any troubleshooting...: I have cloned my win10 laptop to a 1TB seagate HDD using Macrium Reflect. I have connected it to my PC in order to clone it again to one of my nvme SSDs but I got the following message"your pin is no longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device "I...
  5. Can't log into an HDD cloned from a Win10 laptop using Macrium Reflect. Any troubleshooting...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't log into an HDD cloned from a Win10 laptop using Macrium Reflect. Any troubleshooting...: I have cloned my win10 laptop to a 1TB seagate HDD using Macrium Reflect. I have connected it to my PC in order to clone it again to one of my nvme SSDs but I got the following message"your pin is no longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device "I...
  6. Can't log into an HDD cloned from a Win10 laptop using Macrium Reflect. Any troubleshooting...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Cloning HD to SSD using Macrium, not booting up.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning HD to SSD using Macrium, not booting up.: Hello, I am trying to replace my HD with SSD using Macrium Reflect 7. But after successfully cloning my hard drive and install the SSD to my laptop, it won't boot. It's stuck with a blank screen and only showing the mouse pointer. My HD and SSD are showing both GPT so not...
  8. Times to clone with Macrium Reflect

Times to clone with Macrium Reflect: Due to a corrupt SSD I have installed Macrium Reflect app and started doing a clone of the SDD. I'm doing the clone to an older HDD, which I used as an OS drive before. My plan was to make this clone, and if it succeeded and was bootable, clone this to a new SDD. But the...
  9. Times to clone with Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Times to clone with Macrium Reflect: Due to a corrupt SSD I have installed Macrium Reflect app and started doing a clone of the SDD. I'm doing the clone to an older HDD, which I used as an OS drive before. My plan was to make this clone, and if it succeeded and was bootable, clone this to a new SDD. But the...
  10. Differential Backup On Cloned Drive (Macrium Reflect)?

Differential Backup On Cloned Drive (Macrium Reflect)?: I replaced my hard drive, same size. So I cloned it. Can I do a differential backup based on a full image of the original drive using the clone? Using Macrium Reflect Free Edition as my backup software. 181683