Windows 10: cloning

Discus and support cloning in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to upgrade to a ssd on a laptop that has windows 7, but was upgraded to windows 10. Will my cloning software copy both?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PaulaBriscoe, Jul 1, 2019.

1. cloning

I am trying to upgrade to a ssd on a laptop that has windows 7, but was upgraded to windows 10. Will my cloning software copy both?

:)

PaulaBriscoe, Jul 1, 2019
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Oct 1, 2019
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Oct 1, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

cloning

Cloning HD

I don't know about Acronis, but I use the Free version of
    AOMEI Partition Assistant
    to clone Drives and have never had any trouble . . .

Click HERE for a step by step on cloning your hard drive with AOMEI

DaveM121, Oct 1, 2019
Thema:

cloning

1. cloning - Similar Threads - cloning

2. PRoblems cloning an NVMe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PRoblems cloning an NVMe: I asked about this on Bleeping Computer two days ago, but didn't get a reply.I'm trying to clone a 250GB NVMe boot to a 2TB NVMe. I've done this successfully four times before, but I.m having problems this time, The other times I used a fresh new drive, this time I'm trying...
  3. PRoblems cloning an NVMe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PRoblems cloning an NVMe: I asked about this on Bleeping Computer two days ago, but didn't get a reply.I'm trying to clone a 250GB NVMe boot to a 2TB NVMe. I've done this successfully four times before, but I.m having problems this time, The other times I used a fresh new drive, this time I'm trying...
  4. Bitlocker keeps showing up after the i've changed boot sequence to cloned SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker keeps showing up after the i've changed boot sequence to cloned SSD: I was cloning my HDD to my SSD. Now before cloning I disabled BitLocker and then clone the drive. After cloning was completed, I change the boot sequence to boot from HDD to the SSD. However bitlocker prompt kicked in asking my to enter the password. And I entered the...
  5. Bitlocker keeps showing up after the i've changed boot sequence to cloned SSD

Bitlocker keeps showing up after the i've changed boot sequence to cloned SSD: I was cloning my HDD to my SSD. Now before cloning I disabled BitLocker and then clone the drive. After cloning was completed, I change the boot sequence to boot from HDD to the SSD. However bitlocker prompt kicked in asking my to enter the password. And I entered the...
  6. After cloning a Hard Drive to SSD I can't access some of my personal files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After cloning a Hard Drive to SSD I can't access some of my personal files: When I attempt to access my personal files it says "D:\School is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc iss inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or...
  7. After cloning a Hard Drive to SSD I can't access some of my personal files

After cloning a Hard Drive to SSD I can't access some of my personal files: When I attempt to access my personal files it says "D:\School is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc iss inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or...
  8. After cloning a Hard Drive to SSD I can't access some of my personal files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Which is the Best App for Cloning the Drive C: Macrium, Minitools Partition, Aoemei or EaseUS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which is the Best App for Cloning the Drive C: Macrium, Minitools Partition, Aoemei or EaseUS: Hi Backup friends.I'd like to have another bootable drive C: on the ready but in your experience which is the best app for cloning the drive C:a. Macriumb. Minitools Partitionc. Aomeid. EaseUSc. Windows 11's built in mirroring/Raid 1 I heard it needs 2 backup disks, I don'...
  10. Which is the Best App for Cloning the Drive C: Macrium, Minitools Partition, Aoemei or EaseUS

Which is the Best App for Cloning the Drive C: Macrium, Minitools Partition, Aoemei or EaseUS: Hi Backup friends.I'd like to have another bootable drive C: on the ready but in your experience which is the best app for cloning the drive C:a. Macriumb. Minitools Partitionc. Aomeid. EaseUSc. Windows 11's built in mirroring/Raid 1 I heard it needs 2 backup disks, I don'...