Windows 10: Cloning

Discus and support Cloning in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a 2 TB HDD that I am cloning to a 2 TB SSD. The HDD is going bad. It takes a lot of time for the computer to boot up. That is the reason why I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by marctat, Jan 9, 2021.

1. marctat Win User

Cloning

I have a 2 TB HDD that I am cloning to a 2 TB SSD. The HDD is going bad. It takes a lot of time for the computer to boot up. That is the reason why I am cloning to a 2 TB SSD.

It took over 24 hours for Reflect to complete the cloning and it says it cloned successfully.
    Could this be normal time? I am worried that even though it said it cloned it successfully that it still doesn't boot.

I have cloned many HDDs in the past and it usually takes 3-4 hours for a 1 TB drive.

:)

marctat, Jan 9, 2021
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Jan 9, 2021
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Jan 9, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Cloning

Cloning HD

I don't know about Acronis, but I use the Free version of
    AOMEI Partition Assistant
    to clone Drives and have never had any trouble . . .

Click HERE for a step by step on cloning your hard drive with AOMEI

DaveM121, Jan 9, 2021
Thema:

Cloning

1. Cloning - Similar Threads - Cloning

2. HDD won't clone. How can I move the data to a new SSD?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    HDD won't clone. How can I move the data to a new SSD?: I have a Windows 10 installation, with LOTS of apps and documents saved onto a 750GB hard drive in an Asus laptop. There is well over 400GB free on the drive, including an empty 280GB partition. I purchased a Seagate Barracuda 120 500GB SSD to transfer the system from the...
  3. Cloning System Partitions Only Without Destroying Data On Clone Drive

Cloning System Partitions Only Without Destroying Data On Clone Drive: I am trying to clone only System partitions from a 1TB SSD to a 4TB SSD that has 2 partitions filled with data but enough free space at its beginning to host the System partitions . 1st attempt I tried the copy System partitions only on Minitool Partition Wizard but was...
  4. Clone Boot disk ( Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB) to Samsung 970 EVO PLUS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone Boot disk ( Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB) to Samsung 970 EVO PLUS: I would like to clone my boot drive(Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250) to a new Samsung 970 EVO PLUS NVMe M.2 1TB Hard drive. The SSD 850 is in Legacy in the BIOS under Storage boot option control. I want the new M.2 drive to be the new Boot drive. My understanding is that I must...
  5. Macrium V7 unable to clone / image Disk with xfs (Linux) partitions

Macrium V7 unable to clone / image Disk with xfs (Linux) partitions: Hi folks seems latest version of Macrium free V7 won't clone or image physical (i.e not VM) Linux disks / partitions containing xfs formatted partitions. No probs with ext2/3/4 though. Not sure if this has always been the case because I used to use ext4 file systems on...
  6. Cloned Hard Drive Issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cloned Hard Drive Issues: I cloned a hard drive from a Toshiba laptop to an SSD that I put in an HP laptop. Everything is fine except for some Bluetooth issues. I cannot pair the earbuds on the HP that I used on the Toshiba, nor can I delete them. Is this caused by some data on the Toshiba motherboard...
  7. Trouble with disk clone/HDD to SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trouble with disk clone/HDD to SSD upgrade: So, I've got an HP laptop that is only less than two years old and it was never fast. Before replacing the thing outright I thought I would try to swap out the spinning rust for an SSD and see if that helped. Here are some basic specs and details of what I've done. It's a...
  8. Cloning an m.2 NVMe boot drive to another

Cloning an m.2 NVMe boot drive to another: Hi All, I have a rather interesting issue and all of the researching and trouble shooting steps have not produced any different results so I'm trying here to see if anyone has had the same experience. Here's what I've tried. Backed up a 500gb nvme m.2 drive to internal...
  9. How to clone a 500GB HDD to a 120 GB SSD?

How to clone a 500GB HDD to a 120 GB SSD?: I own a 120GB SSD I'd like to install in my desktop PC. Currently I have a 500 GB HDD, almost full, just a single partition. I need some way to clone it with the option of selecting just what I want to clone (in my case just Windows and my programs). Then I'd like to use my...
  10. Cloning the NVME boot drive in a laptop with only one M.2 slot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning the NVME boot drive in a laptop with only one M.2 slot: I've researched this enough to know it's possible to clone the NVME boot SSD on my new Lenovo T14 to an external drive then somehow move that clone back onto a newer/bigger NVME SSD that I'd have swapped out into the T14. The boot drive has the latest W10 version (20H2, build...