Windows 10: Close laptop lid - external monitor

Discus and support Close laptop lid - external monitor in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a laptop monitor and an external monitor and set things up so the display is extended On my old Windows 10 laptop, when I shut the lid of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by jsmith613, Mar 23, 2018.

1. jsmith613 Win User

Close laptop lid - external monitor

I have a laptop monitor and an external monitor and set things up so the display is extended

On my old Windows 10 laptop, when I shut the lid of the laptop, all the windows on that screen would just move to external monitor. My new laptop (Asus) does not do this and the windows remain on the laptop screen (which would be fully shut).

How do I fix this?

:)

jsmith613, Mar 23, 2018
  2. DCSans Win User

Closing laptop lid shuts down external monitor

I have a laptop, (Windows 10) with an external monitor. Whenever I close the laptop lid after powering up the computer the monitor goes dark. How can I power up, close the lid and keep the monitor live?

DCSans, Mar 23, 2018
  3. susi62 Win User
    Windows 10 external monitor with lid closed but only when connected

Hey there

I am using my Win 10 laptop either as a standalone laptop or in a desktop setup with an external monitor attached and my lid closed. What I want is that in my desktop environment, the computer doen't go to sleep when I close the lid (I know how to do that
    in the energy settings) and when I use my laptop without an external monitor attached, then it should go to sleep when I close the lid.

How can I condition the energy behaviour on whether an external display is attached?

Thx for the help

susi62, Mar 23, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

Are you sure the "old computer" screen actually turned off when the lid was closed? If the lid is closed there is no way to see if the LCD panel is black. Was there a setting on the old one that didn't actually turn the computer off, put it to Sleep or Hibernate when the lid was closed?

Berton, Mar 23, 2018
  5. jsmith613 Win User
    Yep. The computer remained and I could use the external monitor. But all windows on the laptop screen moved over. Currently when the lid is closed, the windows remain on the laptop screen which is then "off"

jsmith613, Mar 23, 2018
  6. What happens if you set Windows to shut down when the lid is closed? I'm just curious if the lid close event is actually getting detected by Windows.

PolarNettles, Mar 23, 2018
  7. jsmith613 Win User
    Just tried. Does as its supposed to (sleeps when shut lid)

jsmith613, Mar 23, 2018
  8. sml156 Win User

There should be a setting in " Power and Sleep " That controls what happens when you close the lid, The setting you want to select is do nothing I think.

My Laptop bit the dust and I cant look up the setting now, But That's how I had mine setup.

sml156, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Close laptop lid - external monitor - Similar Threads - Close laptop lid

2. Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed: I use 2 external monitors and when I was setting up my ThinkPad - I do not see where I can have the external monitors stay on once I close the laptop lid. I have Windows Pro 11....
  3. Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed: I use 2 external monitors and when I was setting up my ThinkPad - I do not see where I can have the external monitors stay on once I close the laptop lid. I have Windows Pro 11....
  4. My laptop goes to sleep with using an external monitor with the laptop lid closed trying to...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My laptop goes to sleep with using an external monitor with the laptop lid closed trying to...: Hello, I'm trying to use my laptop on an external monitor with the lid closed but my laptop keeps trying to log out and sleep. This only happens when something is in Full-screen or is trying to use the Dedicated Nvidia GPU on the laptop instead of the integrated APU display...
  5. Laptop lid closed “do nothing” but only with external monitor connected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop lid closed “do nothing” but only with external monitor connected: Apologies if this has been posted before. I like using my laptop as a desktop when I’m at home and connect it to an external 4K monitor. Naturally this works well when I enable the setting where the computer stays awake with the lid closed. But anytime I’m not at home I’d...
  6. Keep monitor on while laptop lid is closed.

Keep monitor on while laptop lid is closed.: Hello I have an Acer Swift 5 laptop connected to an HP monitor through HDMI to Vga connecting cable. Whenever I close the lid of my laptop the duplicated display on the monitor vanishes. I have tried the option mentioned below. But still, I am facing the same problem....
  7. External Monitor wont wake from sleep, laptop lid closed.

External Monitor wont wake from sleep, laptop lid closed.: Hi All, I have a setup where I have my laptop on Windows 10 connected through USB C onto a DP port of an external monitor. I keep the lid of the laptop closed Action when Lid is closed is set to nothing already. So essentially the only screen I have is the external monitor....
  8. How to keep using an external monitor with laptop lid closed

in Windows 10 News
    How to keep using an external monitor with laptop lid closed: [ATTACH]If you want to keep using an external monitor with the laptop lid closed, then this article will be handy for you. There is no […] This article How to keep using an external monitor with laptop lid closed first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. Monitor settings when close laptop lid

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitor settings when close laptop lid: Hi, I usually connect a secondary monitor to my laptop and close the lid. This worked fine until today. When I close the lid the monitor indicates that the source settings are higher than it can handle and it indicates me to change them to 1600x900 60Hz. However, I can't do...
  10. Using External Monitors with lid closed

Using External Monitors with lid closed: I had my set up work before. I have a laptop and 2 monitors. One monitor is connected via VGA cord and the other via HDMI. When I shut the lid of the laptop the monitor connected via VGA disconnects and wants to go into power saving mode, like if the computer went to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. closing lid on laptop with external screen