Windows 10: Close lid functions malfunction

Discus and support Close lid functions malfunction in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a HP 2018 Elitebook 840 G1 14 inch and I've tired multiple times to set up the close lid function so i can close the lid and still have my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Tony_84.tf, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Close lid functions malfunction

I have a HP 2018 Elitebook 840 G1 14 inch and I've tired multiple times to set up the close lid function so i can close the lid and still have my windows open on another screen. But no matter what i do or change it still goes straight to shut down after i close it. How can I fix this?

:)

Tony_84.tf, Sep 7, 2020
  2. Ruz San Win User

Windows 10 lock on lid close

Hi Radoslav,

Like the information you were able to find, closing the lid of your laptop will shut it down, put it to sleep, or let it hibernate. Locking the PC by closing the lid is currently not a function available in Windows.

We suggest you share your feedback or suggestions on this
    page
    for Microsoft to look into this option for future developments in Windows.

Hope this helps.

Ruz San, Sep 7, 2020
  3. Win 10 - computer won't lock or sleep when lid is closed

Hi Shari,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Please follow the methods mentioned below:

Method 1: Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.

• Select on Control Panel.

• Click on Power Options. On the left, click on "Choose what closing the lid does". Click on the drop down menu for "When I close the lid" and choose "Sleep" or "Hibernate.

Method 2: I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.

Method 3: If the above method doesn’t help, I would suggest you to
    reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back with their default settings. Follow the steps.

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Let us know if the issue is resolved or if you require further assistance.

ThofikhAhamad, Sep 7, 2020
  4. Ruz San Win User

Close lid functions malfunction

Laptop restarts after closing the lid

Hi,

It appears that your laptop hibernates when you close its lid. This feature terminates running processes on your machine since it allows the system to use very little power. If
    Do nothing is already selected for Choose what closing the lid does
    in Power Options, let's try to make hibernation unavailable. Follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type powercfg.exe /hibernate off then press Enter.
    See if this will prevent the laptop from hibernating when you close the lid.

Let us know how it turns out.

Ruz San, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

Close lid functions malfunction

1. Close lid functions malfunction - Similar Threads - Close lid functions

2. Excel stockhistory function malfunction

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Excel stockhistory function malfunction: I am encountering an issue with the stock history function in Microsoft Office 365. Despite having a valid subscription and an updated Office installation, when I select a stock which is correctly connected and displaying abundant data, the formula returns a red error sign...
  3. Excel stockhistory function malfunction

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excel stockhistory function malfunction: I am encountering an issue with the stock history function in Microsoft Office 365. Despite having a valid subscription and an updated Office installation, when I select a stock which is correctly connected and displaying abundant data, the formula returns a red error sign...
  4. Lid Close Action

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lid Close Action: Windows 11 on an HP Envy computer. Cannot find, "Lid close action," which should be under "Change Advanced Power Settings." which should be under "Change Plan Settings," which should be under "Power Options," which should be under "Hardware and Sound" which should be under...
  5. Lid Close Action

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lid Close Action: Windows 11 on an HP Envy computer. Cannot find, "Lid close action," which should be under "Change Advanced Power Settings." which should be under "Change Plan Settings," which should be under "Power Options," which should be under "Hardware and Sound" which should be under...
  6. When lid closed

in Windows 10 Customization
    When lid closed: Hey Microsoft Community! I want to "Do nothing" when my laptop lid is closed. I was able to set this in Control Panel. I don't want to drain my battery, though, so I want it to hibernate about 5 minutes after there is not activity. Thank you!...
  7. Close a lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Close a lid: When I try to change my lid options in my laptop, it says "some settings are managed by your system administrator". But the problem is that I am already logged in as the administrator. What can I do to fix this other than reinstalling windows. The laptop model that I am...
  8. Laptop won't carry out functions until lid closed and reopened

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop won't carry out functions until lid closed and reopened: Hi guys, I am really stumped by this weird problem. I have a windows ten based laptop. Since getting a desktop a while back, the only really functions I use it for are to use DJ software, run some music programs in a more portable manner and take me away from my study and...
  9. Laptop Opening lid function

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop Opening lid function: Hi every1 I would like to know whether there is an option by which I can switch on the laptop by just opening the lid without having to press the power button. Thank you...
  10. Malfunction USB ports and BSOD (when restarting), after closing laptop lid

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Malfunction USB ports and BSOD (when restarting), after closing laptop lid: Sometimes, when reopening my laptop lid after closing it, I find that my USB ports are not working (unplugging and replugging my USB devices does not fix it). I proceed to restart my laptop, and will end up being stuck at the "blue restart screen" for a very long time, or at...