Windows 10: Close Lid Laptop Hibernates

Discus and support Close Lid Laptop Hibernates in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi! I have followed the Advanced Power Settings threads and chose "Do Nothing" when I close the lid. That's not working! When I close the lid, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Rhonda Davis-Ross, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Close Lid Laptop Hibernates

Hi!

I have followed the Advanced Power Settings threads and chose "Do Nothing" when I close the lid. That's not working! When I close the lid, the laptop hibernates and all the monitors go to sleep - it says no power connection! Please help!

:)

Rhonda Davis-Ross, Feb 11, 2020
  2. Ruz San Win User

Laptop restarts after closing the lid

Hi,

It appears that your laptop hibernates when you close its lid. This feature terminates running processes on your machine since it allows the system to use very little power. If
    Do nothing is already selected for Choose what closing the lid does
    in Power Options, let's try to make hibernation unavailable. Follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type powercfg.exe /hibernate off then press Enter.
    See if this will prevent the laptop from hibernating when you close the lid.

Let us know how it turns out.

Ruz San, Feb 11, 2020
  3. Laptop not sleeping when lid is closed and plugged in

Thank you for your help

Unfortunately this has not helped but I have made some interesting observations for the past 2 weeks

My laptop still has this problem in both sleeping and hibernating

It won't sleep or hibernate fully when I press the buttons in the start menu which forces me to hard shut down my laptop

But closing the lid with a small amount of force allows the laptop to sleep

And when I boot it up in safe mode closing the lid hibernates the laptop

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance

Ju Yeol Youn, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Close Lid Laptop Hibernates

Windows 10 sleeps when using external monitor and closing the laptop lid.

Hey Likitha

Thanks for your response.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Have you set Sleep function to activate on closing the laptop lid?
    • Did you check if the laptop goes to sleep when not connected to external monitor and lid closed?

To respond to your questions

(1) I have set the sleep function to operate on laptop lid close only when the laptop is on battery power. When it is plugged in I have set it to do not sleep ever.

(2) I have tested that it does *not* go to sleep when I the laptop is plugged in and I close the laptop lid

Further information:

(1) When I first turned the laptop on I attached it to the monitor and closed the lid. It then ran successfully for approximately an hour before hibernating.

(2) I then restarted the system, external monitor plugged in, lid closed and it went to hibernate after approximately 2 minutes.

MelbourneAl, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

Close Lid Laptop Hibernates

1. Close Lid Laptop Hibernates - Similar Threads - Close Lid Laptop

2. Laptop shuts down / hibernates after a few hours of the lid staying closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop shuts down / hibernates after a few hours of the lid staying closed: I'm experiencing this issue on two Lenovo laptops running Windows 11; one is running on 23H2 22631.3007.When I close the lid, the laptop behaves as expected. The screen turns off, and the laptop enters sleep mode, with the power button light flashing slowly to indicate that....
  3. Removing power supply on closed lid not performing hibernation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing power supply on closed lid not performing hibernation.: I have set the windows power settings as it put my system to hibernate when I close the lid on power off , but do nothing when power supply is on. I observe that when lid is closed and power supply is removed it doesn't hibernate the laptop?...
  4. Removing power supply on closed lid not performing hibernation.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing power supply on closed lid not performing hibernation.: I have set the windows power settings as it put my system to hibernate when I close the lid on power off , but do nothing when power supply is on. I observe that when lid is closed and power supply is removed it doesn't hibernate the laptop?...
  5. Removing power supply on closed lid not performing hibernation.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  6. Laptop wakes up from Hibernate or Sleep while in a backpack with the lid closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop wakes up from Hibernate or Sleep while in a backpack with the lid closed: Airplanes can catch fire from Microsoft Hibernate or Sleep because more recently, Sleep and Hibernate are not working. You put your laptop in a backpack with LID CLOSE TO HIBERNATE or Sleep that worked before for 10+ years on old Windows versions. 20 times in recent weeks I...
  7. turning on laptop with lid closed

turning on laptop with lid closed: I have an HP Spectre and use to two 4k monitors. How can I turn the laptop on without opening the lid? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turning-on-laptop-with-lid-closed/f5b9171f-8310-4a33-93b0-2f1403b1d2fa
  8. Laptop shuts down when in hibernation or closing lid

Laptop shuts down when in hibernation or closing lid: About a week ago my laptop had a change or hard drive. When I got it back, the screen went blank after being put on sleep mode, but I still could see and use the mouse. I rolled back the display driver and now it won’t project image through hdmi, and whenever I put it on...
  9. VNC with laptop lid closed

in Windows 10 Customization
    VNC with laptop lid closed: I use a VNC service to remotely manage hundreds laptops that are stored in a HP laptop cart so they will charge and be connected to ethernet. They are used in a classroom environment and perform required support functions between classes and at night. We recently upgraded...
  10. Closing my laptop lid

in Windows 10 Support
    Closing my laptop lid: Hello, I'm new to windows 10, just had it installed last week and so far, I like it. A problem I'm running into is when I close the lid on my laptop and then open it again after a while, it shuts down and goes to the hp screen. What I would like is, when I close the lid and...