Windows 10: Closed laptop lid whilst apps continue to run

Discus and support Closed laptop lid whilst apps continue to run in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I need to record 10min with eye tracker that needs to be connected via USB to laptop whilst walking and recording. The lid needs to be closed and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Filo Russo, Mar 14, 2023.

1. Closed laptop lid whilst apps continue to run

I need to record 10min with eye tracker that needs to be connected via USB to laptop whilst walking and recording. The lid needs to be closed and laptop placed in backpack during walking. The eye tracker supplier suggested there is a windows setting that can allow this - is this the case? I have Windows 10 and laptop is LeNovo ThinkPad.

:)

Filo Russo, Mar 14, 2023

2. Wifi drops when closing laptop lid whilst projecting to external display.

I connect my laptop to my tv with hdmi, once I plug the hdmi cable and connect it to the tv its fine with wifi working, but once I close the laptop lid the wifi disconnects, I used to use the internet as the lid is down whilst projecting to the tv screen,
    and even when the hdmi isn't connected I would close the lid and I would come back to my laptop at a later time with all my downloads running smoothly with no wifi disconnects, now I have to pull the screen back to use the internet, I don't want the screen
    to be up physically, my settings are fine, this wasn't an issue a while back so I'm sure with recent updates from Microsoft they broke the option to close the lid whilst connected to an external screen and keeping wifi on, please fix this Microsoft.

Fahad O. A., Mar 14, 2023
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Laptop restarts after closing the lid

Hi,

It appears that your laptop hibernates when you close its lid. This feature terminates running processes on your machine since it allows the system to use very little power. If
    Do nothing is already selected for Choose what closing the lid does
    in Power Options, let's try to make hibernation unavailable. Follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type powercfg.exe /hibernate off then press Enter.
    See if this will prevent the laptop from hibernating when you close the lid.

Let us know how it turns out.

Ruz San, Mar 14, 2023
  4. HaFin Win User

Closed laptop lid whilst apps continue to run

My laptop was running with the screen lid closed and would not respond.

Thanks again, Andre. I'll need to study your suggestions, since I'm not familiar w/ some of these procedures. Obviously, I need to learn more about Windows management and Apps.

My Windows 10 version is 15063. My Dell Inspiron is compatible w/ Windows.

One possibility for problem is that laptop was updating something (either App or hardware) when I closed lid, and continued to do so while lid was closed (sleep mode?) for several hours and then re-opened. I need to understand more about Events Manager
    log. Maybe I can send you a screenshot of log.

HaFin, Mar 14, 2023
Thema:

Closed laptop lid whilst apps continue to run

1. Closed laptop lid whilst apps continue to run - Similar Threads - Closed laptop lid

2. Closed laptop lid whilst apps continue to run

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Closed laptop lid whilst apps continue to run: I need to record 10min with eye tracker that needs to be connected via USB to laptop whilst walking and recording. The lid needs to be closed and laptop placed in backpack during walking. The eye tracker supplier suggested there is a windows setting that can allow this - is...
  3. Closed laptop lid whilst apps continue to run

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Closed laptop lid whilst apps continue to run: I need to record 10min with eye tracker that needs to be connected via USB to laptop whilst walking and recording. The lid needs to be closed and laptop placed in backpack during walking. The eye tracker supplier suggested there is a windows setting that can allow this - is...
  4. Apps closing when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Apps closing when laptop lid is closed: I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface and all my open apps force close when the laptop lid has been closed overnight. I've checked all previous solutions posted on this site and nothing works. Very Annoying, can someone help resolve asap? ? It really shouldn't be this...
  5. turning on laptop with lid closed

turning on laptop with lid closed: I have an HP Spectre and use to two 4k monitors. How can I turn the laptop on without opening the lid? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turning-on-laptop-with-lid-closed/f5b9171f-8310-4a33-93b0-2f1403b1d2fa
  6. Close Lid Laptop Hibernates

Close Lid Laptop Hibernates: Hi! I have followed the Advanced Power Settings threads and chose "Do Nothing" when I close the lid. That's not working! When I close the lid, the laptop hibernates and all the monitors go to sleep - it says no power connection! Please help!...
  7. VNC with laptop lid closed

in Windows 10 Customization
    VNC with laptop lid closed: I use a VNC service to remotely manage hundreds laptops that are stored in a HP laptop cart so they will charge and be connected to ethernet. They are used in a classroom environment and perform required support functions between classes and at night. We recently upgraded...
  8. How to run Laptop with the lid closed in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to run Laptop with the lid closed in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When we are away from our desk, we usually close the lid of our laptop first and then leave. It’s primarily to keep the prying eyes off the screen. However, this doesn’t mean we have turned off the laptop. It’s [...] This post How to run Laptop with the lid...
  9. My laptop continues to sleep when lid is closed.

My laptop continues to sleep when lid is closed.: I changed the options to 'Do Nothing' when I close the lid, yet it still sleeps when I do it. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-continues-to-sleep-when-lid-is-closed/c52cc16f-5f88-4d6d-b3d9-5b0e6014e9a4
  10. Closing my laptop lid

in Windows 10 Support
    Closing my laptop lid: Hello, I'm new to windows 10, just had it installed last week and so far, I like it. A problem I'm running into is when I close the lid on my laptop and then open it again after a while, it shuts down and goes to the hp screen. What I would like is, when I close the lid and...