Windows 10: Closing lid does not put computer to sleep

Discus and support Closing lid does not put computer to sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Brand new Dell XPS-13 with Windows 10 Creators Update My laptop does NOT go to sleep when the lid is closed. PLEASE NOTE the following:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dangnad2, Jul 8, 2017.

1. dangnad2 Win User

Closing lid does not put computer to sleep

Brand new Dell XPS-13 with Windows 10 Creators Update
    My laptop does NOT go to sleep when the lid is closed.
    PLEASE NOTE the following:
    Settings>System>Power Options>"Choose what closing the lid does">"When I close the lid">Sleep
    Sleep is the option.

:)

dangnad2, Jul 8, 2017

2. Sleep not working correctly (Windows 10 - Acer Aspire V15)

I reformatted my computer recently. Ever since then, when I close the laptop lid, the laptop doesn't go to sleep correctly. I can still put it to sleep by manually pushing the sleep button, but not when closing the lid. This used to work fine.

I have all sleep settings set up correctly in the control panel. Closing the lid should initiate sleep.

The harddrive light doesn't turn yellow like it used to when I close the lid. It just stays blue like it usually does. Yet, the screen does go black as if I put it to sleep. Then when I open the lid I can't turn it back on and have to hard reboot.

justin_580, Jul 8, 2017
  3. Media Streaming Sleep when closing lid

When I'm streaming media, I like to have the lid on my laptop closed, which of course puts the computer to sleep. So, obviously, I changed the "what happens when I close the lid" settings so that it does not go to sleep when I close the lid. Trouble
    is, then it doesn't go to sleep at all, ever, when the lid is closed. How do I rectify this?

BrianAlpiger, Jul 8, 2017
  4. Closing lid does not put computer to sleep

Hi dangnad2.

If you use "Sleep" in the power section once you click start does it sleep?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 8, 2017
  5. dangnad2 Win User
    Ah yes, Caledon Ken. Thanks for your reply. I had more to this thread but didn't want to post too much at one time. There is an additional problem:

When I hit the sleep button: Win-X>"Shutdown or sign out">Sleep it puts the computer to sleep but the mouse wakes it up. In Device Manager no devices have the "Power Management" tab thus no option to disallow wake up.

dangnad2, Jul 8, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Know this sounds a bit goofy, but on my Surface Pro 3, I have to use Hibernate instead. If I use Sleep with close lid, I can "peek" under the lid just enough and still see the screen on! Hibernate works, for me.

f14tomcat, Jul 8, 2017
  7. dangnad2 Win User
    Good suggestion f14tomcat. Way back when (WinXP) the general advice was to use sleep not hibernate though I really never understood the difference. Windows 10 is a whole new can of worms. I'll give it a try and let you know.

dangnad2, Jul 8, 2017
  8. Closing lid does not put computer to sleep

dangnad2 could you also check your BIOS for Power Mgmt settings. Maybe something in there is conflicting or overriding.

Sounds like you have an external mouse. Have you loaded vendors drivers?

As this is brand new device I would also engage the vendor, Dell, and explain my displeasure. Dell should have immediate answer.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 8, 2017
  9. dangnad2 Win User
    Yeah, I use a mouse with the laptop. It is a Dell mouse so I assume the compatibility of drivers. Is there a way of checking?

dangnad2, Jul 8, 2017
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    That's a good point, Ken. From what I know sleep is not supported in S4-S5, only S3. One of the first things I had to change on my new rig.

f14tomcat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Closing lid does not put computer to sleep

1. Closing lid does not put computer to sleep - Similar Threads - Closing lid does

2. Laptop shuts down when putting it to sleep or closing the lid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop shuts down when putting it to sleep or closing the lid: Laptop shuts down when closing the lid or putting it to sleep and even to hibernate. All my applications closes when I turn my laptop on. I have tried everything in the power options many command promts but none of them helped. I even did a reset on my laptop but the problem...
  3. Laptop shuts down when putting it to sleep or closing the lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop shuts down when putting it to sleep or closing the lid: Laptop shuts down when closing the lid or putting it to sleep and even to hibernate. All my applications closes when I turn my laptop on. I have tried everything in the power options many command promts but none of them helped. I even did a reset on my laptop but the problem...
  4. Laptop shuts down when putting it to sleep or closing the lid

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Plugged in laptop does not sleep after closing the lid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Plugged in laptop does not sleep after closing the lid: When my computer is plugged in, it does not sleep or lock my screen when I close the lid. I've tried changing my settings to "Sleep" and "Hibernate" under "When I close the lid" setting, but it still continues to be unlocked and running while plugged in. This has been a...
  6. Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed: Previously, whenever I used close the lid of my laptop, it used to go to sleep. I have even tried to change the settings but still nothing changes.Edition Windows 11 Home Insider Preview Version Dev Installed on ‎ 31/‎10/‎2021 OS build 22489.1000 Experience Windows Feature...
  7. Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed: Previously, whenever I used close the lid of my laptop, it used to go to sleep. I have even tried to change the settings but still nothing changes.Edition Windows 11 Home Insider Preview Version Dev Installed on ‎ 31/‎10/‎2021 OS build 22489.1000 Experience Windows Feature...
  8. computer not going to sleep on lid closing

computer not going to sleep on lid closing: Since update Feb 09/21 KB4601319, OS build 19041.804 and 19042.804, computer no longer enters sleep mode which is configured to happen when the lid closes. Gary...
  9. Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close

Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close: Hi all! I have had a Windows Surface Laptop for 2 years now. Recently, when I close my laptop, the screen does not sleep and the screen light can still be seen. I have checked the Power Options/System Settings and the computer is set to sleep when the lid is closed. Since...
  10. Closing lid does NOT put pc to sleep mode.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Closing lid does NOT put pc to sleep mode.: I've verified the correct Settings, even run hardware troubleshooter. Any suggestions? DELL Inspiron 5555 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/closing-lid-does-not-put-pc-to-sleep-mode/aed5d80b-574d-4547-8b9a-f41a99e6030d