Windows 10: Closing lid does NOT put pc to sleep mode.

Discus and support Closing lid does NOT put pc to sleep mode. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've verified the correct Settings, even run hardware troubleshooter. Any suggestions? DELL Inspiron 5555... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Marites1, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Marites1 Win User

Closing lid does NOT put pc to sleep mode.

I've verified the correct Settings, even run hardware troubleshooter. Any suggestions?

DELL Inspiron 5555

:)

Marites1, Nov 8, 2018

2. Sleep mode when lid is closed

When I close the lid of my Lenovo laptop with Windows 7, the computer doesn NOT go to sleep. The settings in Control Panel are correct: When I Close The Lid I have put SLEEP for battery and plugged in mode. How can I get it to go back to working normally
    and putting my laptop to sleep mode when I close the lid? I already had Windows 7 re-installed, but the problem is still there. Thank you Closing lid does NOT put pc to sleep mode. :)

louisalouisa, Nov 8, 2018
  3. heartsg Win User
    Closing the lid will only enter into sleep by chance

I have a thinkpad X1 carbon, and upgraded to Windows 10.

Everything worked fine including sleep.

Suddenly one day ( well I can't really recall which day, just recently), I noticed that when I close the lid, it won't enter into sleep.

If I open the lid, and close the lid again in short time, it will enter into sleep then.

I then started testing, and close and open close and open.

Generally, the behaviour is like this:

1. If I close the lid, 9 out of 10 will not sleep, and there's some chance that it will sleep.

2. If I close the lid (no sleep), open the lid again, and close the lid again in shor time, 9 out of 10 it will sleep at the second close.

3. If I close the lid (no sleep), open the lid, and do some operation (browsing etc), then close the lid, it will not sleep (see step 1)

4. If I change the settings to : close the lid then hibernate, then it works everytime, closing the lid will hibernate the computer.

5. In battery mode, the sleep works when lid is closed, only in plugged-in mode, the sleep doesn't work!

My attempts:

1. I tried to see the system event log, and found that, if I close the lid, and the comuter is not in sleep mode, it enters into Away mode. So it did detect the closing action, and tried to do something, but decided to go to away rather than sleep, which
    is really rediculous.

2. I tried to seach on the forum, and found some media sharing stuff, I tried all settings, including disable media sharing, they didn't solve my problem.

3. I also tried to use "powercfg -requests" in cmd window and found there are none applications that is preventing the system from entering into sleep.

4. I tried to set every single power settings of plugged-in mode to be as same as "battery" mode, no use. Battery still works and plugged in mode still not working most of the time.

5. System restore is not an option because I disabled system restore (harddisk is too small for system restore).

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

heartsg, Nov 8, 2018
  4. Closing lid does NOT put pc to sleep mode.

Closing the lid does not put pc into sleep mode.

Lately we have noticed that when we wake up our Dell laptop (by opening the lid), it goes directly to the Desktop, without requiring a sign-in. Today I returned from an errand to find the cooling fan loudly whirring (with the lid closed). I opened the lid
    and, again, went directly to the Desktop. I then right clicked Start and chose Sleep, whereupon the screen went black, the backlit keys went out, and the cooling fan stopped. I closed the lid, reopened it a few minutes later, and was then required to sign
    in.

It seems that the action of closing the lid is NOT putting the computer into Sleep mode.

I have verified (via Control Panel and Settings) that it is supposed to go to Sleep mode. Can anyone help us to correct this problem--without having to take it to a computer repair shop?

Grandpa Jim, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

Closing lid does NOT put pc to sleep mode.

1. Closing lid does NOT put pc to sleep mode. - Similar Threads - Closing lid does

2. Laptop shuts down when putting it to sleep or closing the lid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop shuts down when putting it to sleep or closing the lid: Laptop shuts down when closing the lid or putting it to sleep and even to hibernate. All my applications closes when I turn my laptop on. I have tried everything in the power options many command promts but none of them helped. I even did a reset on my laptop but the problem...
  3. Laptop shuts down when putting it to sleep or closing the lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop shuts down when putting it to sleep or closing the lid: Laptop shuts down when closing the lid or putting it to sleep and even to hibernate. All my applications closes when I turn my laptop on. I have tried everything in the power options many command promts but none of them helped. I even did a reset on my laptop but the problem...
  4. Laptop shuts down when putting it to sleep or closing the lid

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Plugged in laptop does not sleep after closing the lid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Plugged in laptop does not sleep after closing the lid: When my computer is plugged in, it does not sleep or lock my screen when I close the lid. I've tried changing my settings to "Sleep" and "Hibernate" under "When I close the lid" setting, but it still continues to be unlocked and running while plugged in. This has been a...
  6. Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed: Previously, whenever I used close the lid of my laptop, it used to go to sleep. I have even tried to change the settings but still nothing changes.Edition Windows 11 Home Insider Preview Version Dev Installed on ‎ 31/‎10/‎2021 OS build 22489.1000 Experience Windows Feature...
  7. Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed: Previously, whenever I used close the lid of my laptop, it used to go to sleep. I have even tried to change the settings but still nothing changes.Edition Windows 11 Home Insider Preview Version Dev Installed on ‎ 31/‎10/‎2021 OS build 22489.1000 Experience Windows Feature...
  8. Laptop in sleep mode lid closed for 14 hrs

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop in sleep mode lid closed for 14 hrs: So my laptop was in sleep mode with closed lid for 14 hrs i just have to ask will harm anything as i cant see anything wrong but pls tell is it harm full?...
  9. Connected laptop that was on to TV, closed lid. Put laptop in sleep mode (with TV screen...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Connected laptop that was on to TV, closed lid. Put laptop in sleep mode (with TV screen...: Reason: would like to keep it in sleep mode overnight without shutting down for heat purposes Any other suggestions for the heat? I have a quiet fan blowing at the laptop at all times, sometimes the heat seems to cause videos to stutter I connect a surface book 2 to a TCL...
  10. Closing lid does not put computer to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Closing lid does not put computer to sleep: Brand new Dell XPS-13 with Windows 10 Creators Update My laptop does NOT go to sleep when the lid is closed. PLEASE NOTE the following: Settings>System>Power Options>"Choose what closing the lid does">"When I close the lid">Sleep Sleep is the option. 88530

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 not sleeping when lid closed

2. one note closes when pc sleeps

3. closing lid dont make pc sleep

4. why does my laptp run out of battery when i close the lid,
  5. windows 10 doesd not sleep when closing lid,
  6. not working lid close sleep,
  7. does closing the lid of Dell Inspiron put it in sleep mode,
  8. Hi I want to go to sleep with the lid lid sleep I want to leave to put the sleep,
  9. close lid sleep mode,
  10. lid not sleeping when closed windows 10,
  11. win 10 laptop does not go sleep mode when close lid,
  12. Sleep mode doesnt work when closing the lid,
  13. computer is not going into sl;eep mode when closing the lid,
  14. dell laptop not sleep when closed,
  15. windows 10 closing lid does not sleep