Windows 10: Closing the lid on a laptop during updates

Discus and support Closing the lid on a laptop during updates in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; My mother bought a laptop with win10 home last year, and it was updated to win11 back in December. She just asked me if she can close the lid after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by SlickRCBD, Feb 9, 2022.

1. SlickRCBD Win User

Closing the lid on a laptop during updates

My mother bought a laptop with win10 home last year, and it was updated to win11 back in December. She just asked me if she can close the lid after choosing "update windows and shut down". I haven't owned a laptop in over 10 years, well technically I still have an XP laptop in my closet.With that laptop and it's Win98 predecessor, I learned that if I closed the lid after choosing "update Windows and shut down" the computer would go to sleep and drain the battery, and the updates would fail to install since it would be like a power failure on the desktop. Sometimes just opening the lid after 30

:)

SlickRCBD, Feb 9, 2022
  2. Ruz San Win User

Laptop restarts after closing the lid

Hi,

It appears that your laptop hibernates when you close its lid. This feature terminates running processes on your machine since it allows the system to use very little power. If
    Do nothing is already selected for Choose what closing the lid does
    in Power Options, let's try to make hibernation unavailable. Follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type powercfg.exe /hibernate off then press Enter.
    See if this will prevent the laptop from hibernating when you close the lid.

Let us know how it turns out.

Ruz San, Feb 9, 2022
  3. rmoreau Win User
    How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ?

Hi,
    I want to force a shutdown when the user close the laptop lid even if MSWord is open and the document was not saved.
    Any suggestion ?

Regards

rmoreau, Feb 9, 2022
  4. Closing the lid on a laptop during updates

Laptop goes to sleep when the LID is closed while playing the game.

Hello,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in your laptop regarding the sleep mode while playing game. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Have you connected the external monitor to the Laptop?
    • Did you make any recent changes prior to the issue?
    • Are you facing this issue specifically when playing the specific Game?
    • Are you facing this issue after any recent updates installed?
    This issue might have caused due to the power settings for the closing of LID is set to sleep mode.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys and select the Control Panel.
    • Select Power options by searching in search box.
    • Right side select Change Plan setting next to the power plans.
    • Select the Change advanced Power plan settings.
    • Under the list select and expand Power buttons and lid.
    • Select Turn off the display under the drop down of setting.
    • Click Apply. Ok.
    • Close the LID and Check if the issue resolves.
    Please post to us with the results to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Feb 9, 2022
Thema:

Closing the lid on a laptop during updates

1. Closing the lid on a laptop during updates - Similar Threads - Closing lid laptop

2. Is it okay to close the lid of laptop during the “shutting down” screen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it okay to close the lid of laptop during the “shutting down” screen?: As soon as a shut down my laptop, I close the lid, even if the “shutting down” is still on the screen. Is this okay? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-okay-to-close-the-lid-of-laptop-during-the/f5b7683c-a094-483e-ae6f-5f6966baf9e5
  3. Is it okay to close the lid of laptop during the “shutting down” screen?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it okay to close the lid of laptop during the “shutting down” screen?: As soon as a shut down my laptop, I close the lid, even if the “shutting down” is still on the screen. Is this okay? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-okay-to-close-the-lid-of-laptop-during-the/f5b7683c-a094-483e-ae6f-5f6966baf9e5
  4. Closing the lid on a laptop during updates

Closing the lid on a laptop during updates: My mother bought a laptop with win10 home last year, and it was updated to win11 back in December. She just asked me if she can close the lid after choosing "update windows and shut down". I haven't owned a laptop in over 10 years, well technically I still have an XP laptop...
  5. Is it okay to update your laptop and close the lid?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it okay to update your laptop and close the lid?: My sister clicked "Update and shutdown" and closed the lid then closed the lid of the laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-okay-to-update-your-laptop-and-close-the-lid/25f51f72-ed7b-4a9e-9a36-6f9e53b5a42c
  6. Is it okay to update your laptop and close the lid?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it okay to update your laptop and close the lid?: My sister clicked "Update and shutdown" and closed the lid then closed the lid of the laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-okay-to-update-your-laptop-and-close-the-lid/25f51f72-ed7b-4a9e-9a36-6f9e53b5a42c
  7. Is it okay to update your laptop and close the lid?

8. What happens if I close the laptop lid during a reset?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What happens if I close the laptop lid during a reset?: I want to reset my pc but keep my personal files because lately my laptop has been a little slow. I want to leave it over night because I imagine it will take a little while with all my games on it. In my settings I have it put so that when I close the lid when my laptop is...
  9. Laptop + closed lid keeps waking during sleep.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop + closed lid keeps waking during sleep.: When I’m done working for a bit I put my computer to sleep and close the lid. For some reason every Windows 10 laptop I have owned has always woken my from sleep even when their lids are closed. This causes them to get hot and the fans to scream when it’s not really supposed...
  10. Closing a laptop during an update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Closing a laptop during an update: It was time for me to go to sleep when my mom noticed my computer was still on she said it should be turned off but I tell her I can't because the laptop is updating, and then she grabs my laptop and closes it and puts it outside in the living room out of my reach, then today...