Windows 10: Cloud services - global outage again today

Discus and support Cloud services - global outage again today in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks I think the AZURE service (Ms) was unaffected but those who always advocate move everything to the cloud should consider that these services... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Jul 23, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Cloud services - global outage again today

Hi folks I think the AZURE service (Ms) was unaffected but those who always advocate move everything to the cloud should consider that these services do suffer downtime (more frequently than realized). From the BBC today Major websites hit by global outage - BBC News Cheers jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 23, 2021
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Cloud services not always 100% up, Outages today in major providers

Hi folks
    While a lot here like using some Cloud services these things aren't immune from outages -- even the *Mighty Amazon* was out for part of today in quite a large part of the world.

Read more Websites begin to work again after major breakage - BBC News

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 23, 2021
  3. pparks1 Win User

Absolutely true, hence the reason that as an enterprise that relies heavily on AWS, my organization encrypts everything. EBS volumes on EC2 instances are encrypted at rest, databases themselves are encrypted at rest, everything is https and encrypted in transit, etc.

Yeah, the cloud is a totally different mindset.

In the old days, we racked and stacked servers and we troubleshot problems on the servers and we backed up the data on the server so that we could restore it. We maintained systems for years and had extensive documentation. When a server went down, the techs were paged and we logged in to fix the issue.

Now, we build everything using infrastructure as code. Server are deployed via this code, and the data on the server itself is not critical. When a server goes down, the instance is simply terminated, and a brand new image is spun up to take the place of the broken server. We don't often troubleshoot a problem on a node anymore, we just check logging in an enterprise tool like Splunk. We can easily roll out new code multiple times per day, and if a problem exists, we simply roll the change back out. And 90% of the time, we don't use VM's anymore either, it's all containers and Kubernetes.

Yes, that's why the cloud providers replicate your data to multiple data centers, and have geographical presence in multiple countries all over the globe. And also the reason why organizations like to have multi-cloud presence too to protect against that random outage.

pparks1, Jul 23, 2021
  4. pparks1 Win User

It's very true, no cloud provider is available 100% of the time. It's predominately the reason why in the industry we try to utilize multiple cloud providers to ensure less chance of a systems outage. This also protects against internet outages as well, which happen from time to time.

Looking at cloud providers as a whole, while outages do occur from time to time....rarely, if ever, is any data actually lost. If you compare that with companies who do things internally, how often do many of them have 100% uptime or 0 loss of data.. For example, when has a company ever found that a system failed and their backups didn't work and they lost data....this happens with some regularity. Or if a system fails midday, they have to revert to a backup from a previous point in time and they lost X number of hours of data.

pparks1, Jul 23, 2021
Thema:

1. Cloud services - global outage again today - Similar Threads - Cloud services global

2. "Global" ping spikes again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Global" ping spikes again: Hello. Some time ago I posted a question asking for help on my ping spikes. Well... I didn't really solve them. It was mainly just a temporary fix.It seems that whenever I launch something like Discord, and more recently Firefox, it starts to happen. This is caused by many,...
  3. "Global" ping spikes again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Global" ping spikes again: Hello. Some time ago I posted a question asking for help on my ping spikes. Well... I didn't really solve them. It was mainly just a temporary fix.It seems that whenever I launch something like Discord, and more recently Firefox, it starts to happen. This is caused by many,...
  4. "Global" ping spikes again

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Win10 Problems with Cloud Services

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 Problems with Cloud Services: I've tried iCloud, Dropbox, and Synology Drive on my Win10 PC. iCloud syncs flawlessly between my 3 Apple devices, but Win10 won't download new files. Dropbox works fine Synology Drive files stopped uploading from Win10 My Win10 rig is hardwired into the network,...
  6. CLOUD SERVICE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CLOUD SERVICE: HOW CAN I REMOVE MYSELF FROM CLOUD SERVICE AND GET MY ACCOUNTS TO UPDATE THEMSELVES CORRECTLY ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cloud-service/1828581d-1f93-4eed-b6eb-997376242bd1
  7. Remunerative global services

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remunerative global services: I was received an email saying I had purchased a new computer system for over $3000. I did not. I called the number and was told I was speaking with your representative. They said they had o run some diagnostics on my computer. I asked over and over if this was really...
  8. Internet Security - Global Services

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Internet Security - Global Services: I recently signed up for a service on my Windows 10 computer after experiencing some technical issues. It was called Global Services and had a tech support number of 1-844-331-2777. I was led to believe that they were a Microsoft support company. I haven't necessarily had...
  9. Details on Google Cloud Platform Services Outage Incident on June 2

in Windows 10 News
    Details on Google Cloud Platform Services Outage Incident on June 2: ISSUE SUMMARY On Sunday 2 June, 2019, Google Cloud projects running services in multiple US regions experienced elevated packet loss as a result of network congestion for a duration of between 3 hours 19 minutes, and 4 hours 25 minutes. The duration and degree of packet loss...
  10. IT Tech Global Services LLC

in Windows 10 Customization
    IT Tech Global Services LLC: I was using my computer yesterday and the screen locked up and said to call a number for support. I did, they spent about 45 minutes on my computer and then sucked me in to paying 319 dollars for their one year protection. I realize now that I had been scamed, even after I...