Windows 10: CMD command prompt (CPT) usage and explanations

Discus and support CMD command prompt (CPT) usage and explanations in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was wondering why file not found would occur when I try to access a DIR command on a directory.*Rolleyes DIR name >> file.txt Sincerely,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bash, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Bash Win User

CMD command prompt (CPT) usage and explanations

I was wondering why file not found would occur when I try to access a DIR command on a directory.*Rolleyes

DIR name >> file.txt

Sincerely,

:)

2. cmd (Command Prompt) commands

There are literally thousands. I doubt anyone in their right mind would make a list of every command and every switch. If you are that interested you need to investigate on your own.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Oct 15, 2015
  3. cmd (Command Prompt) commands

I have the same question about getting all the command prompts. I would like to find a list of all of them and their purpose. I am an I.T. student and I learn a few at a time, but having a complete list would really be a beneficial study guide. I have
    searched google, but I cannot find a complete list. I check the lists I find by looking for all the commands I do know. I have yet to find one that has all of them. Is there any way to get one from Microsoft?

Timothy_927, Oct 15, 2015
  4. PJLLB Win User

The syntax you are using is incorrect. The command to get a list of files in a directory is simply dir. What are you trying to do? The command prompt windows thinks you're trying to issue a command which does not exist; hence the "file not found."

PJLLB, Oct 15, 2015
  5. Bash Win User
    I have seen uppercase commands in the documentation I have for WINDOWS 10.
    When do you use lower-case commands ?

dir DirectoryName >> file.txt might work.

I will try this now.

6. Bash Win User
    OK, I previously had dir command in lower case.

I have a set command first.

set dir1=DirectoryFilePath
    set filePath=FilePath.txt

dir %dir1% >> %filePath% || goto Label

This results in file not found for some directory that I know exists ???

Thanks for the help so far !

7. Bash Win User
    The system cannot find the path specified

== is the new error I am now seeing

set dirName=directoryFolderPath

cd %dirName%

gives this new error.

Thanks for keeping up with this issue.

8. Bash Win User

Hi Again,

I see the folders on my desktop libraries but I cannot access them using any valid CMD command prompt use.

I used IF EXISTS dirName and it is not found ??

Is there some kind of access permissions I need to obtain first ??

Bash, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. CMD command prompt (CPT) usage and explanations - Similar Threads - CMD command prompt

2. Why wont the cmd prompt start this command?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why wont the cmd prompt start this command?: So I am in the process of fixing my computer by repairing Windows 10 using SFC with the offline option but whenever I try to run "sfc /scannow /oofbootdir=e:\ /offwindir=C: \Windows" it doesn't work instead it gives me a list of commands that sfc can be used with as seen...
  3. Why wont the cmd prompt start this command?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why wont the cmd prompt start this command?: So I am in the process of fixing my computer by repairing Windows 10 using SFC with the offline option but whenever I try to run "sfc /scannow /oofbootdir=e:\ /offwindir=C: \Windows" it doesn't work instead it gives me a list of commands that sfc can be used with as seen...
  4. Why wont the cmd prompt start this command?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Command Prompt Flashing on system software usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command Prompt Flashing on system software usage: Greetings,Every time I log in, launch event viewer, registry editor, ctrl+alt+del, a command prompt window flashes. So I turned on some auditing and found out that its the jabswitch.exe running with the enable switch apparently doing so at the request of AtBroker.exe. Never...
  6. Command Prompt Flashing on system software usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Command Prompt Flashing on system software usage: Greetings,Every time I log in, launch event viewer, registry editor, ctrl+alt+del, a command prompt window flashes. So I turned on some auditing and found out that its the jabswitch.exe running with the enable switch apparently doing so at the request of AtBroker.exe. Never...
  7. Command Prompt CMD flashes but does not stay open.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command Prompt CMD flashes but does not stay open.: My CMD was working fine until I had to uninstall Anaconda from my system. After that the CMD prompt stopped working. When running CMD even as administrator, it opened the window but immediately got closed. The problem was not from PATH variables. Even directly going to...
  8. Check disk at command prompt CMD

Check disk at command prompt CMD: Hello,I also appealed to the Microsoft community where I also have a request to you, and those to ask you to give me all the useful check disk commands in the command prompt CMDThank you!Wait for response!A good day!...
  9. Check disk in command prompt CMD

Check disk in command prompt CMD: Hello, I also appealed to the Microsoft community in which I also have a request to you, and those to ask you to give me all the useful command disk commands in command prompt CMD Thank you! Wait for response! A good day!...
  10. Cmd prompt and cmd prompt csscript.exe

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cmd prompt and cmd prompt csscript.exe: Hello Lovely people,Im from the Netherlands so my english isnt that very good,But couple of days when i start my up i got an cmd prompt but its empty so it doesnt say anything it stays a few sec and then it goes away and then i get the cmd prompt but with cscript.exe and then...