Windows 10: CMD formatting by mistake!!!

Discus and support CMD formatting by mistake!!! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I just finished formatting an external hard disk using the cmd. Unfortunately, I followed up a video explaining all details, but there was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NightPoet, Apr 8, 2020.

1. NightPoet Win User

CMD formatting by mistake!!!

Hello,

I just finished formatting an external hard disk using the cmd.

Unfortunately, I followed up a video explaining all details, but there was something missed!

I did a list volume to avoid any mistake, but in the end all my data got deleted!!

I really need all of them and I have no backup at all!!

I did not close the cmd yet hopping if there is any solution.

please advise with thanks.

:)

NightPoet, Apr 8, 2020
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Apr 8, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Cannot Format HD

Need to initialize it as GPT disk type with HD > 2TB:
    From Admin command prompt:
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk =====> Take a note of disk # for the 4TB HD
    3. select disk # ====> From step 2
    4. clean
    5. exit
    Open Disk Management and initialize the disk as GPT, create simple then format.

topgundcp, Apr 8, 2020
  4. John Sarc Win User

Changing Time Format

Hi Mary,

There's a possibility that the set up time format in your computer Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) is military time. To have this checked, you can try to reset the time of your computer through Control Panel. See the steps below on how to do
    so:

• Open Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region >
      Change date, time, or number formats. This would open the
      Region
      window.
    • From there, click on Additional settings at the bottom part. It will open the Customize Format.
    • Click Reset; then, OK.

The steps should work; however, if not, we suggest that you contact manufacturer and have the BIOS time checked.

Let us know what happens after doing the suggestions .

John Sarc, Apr 8, 2020
Thema:

1. CMD formatting by mistake!!! - Similar Threads - CMD formatting mistake

2. I format LOCAL DISK C using cmd on safemode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I format LOCAL DISK C using cmd on safemode: I format my local disk c in safemode. Now how do I RECOVER my laptop to the original OS with preinstalled drivers in i https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-format-local-disk-c-using-cmd-on-safemode/74f19e33-933b-4dc8-940a-221503034e71
  3. I format LOCAL DISK C using cmd on safemode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I format LOCAL DISK C using cmd on safemode: I format my local disk c in safemode. Now how do I RECOVER my laptop to the original OS with preinstalled drivers in i https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-format-local-disk-c-using-cmd-on-safemode/74f19e33-933b-4dc8-940a-221503034e71
  4. How to solve mistake windows can't format this drive for Windows 10 pro?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to solve mistake windows can't format this drive for Windows 10 pro?: How to solve mistake "Windows can't format this drive. Quit any disc utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again".How to solve it for Windows 10 Pro?I googled and...
  5. How to solve mistake windows can't format this drive for Windows 10 pro?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to solve mistake windows can't format this drive for Windows 10 pro?: How to solve mistake "Windows can't format this drive. Quit any disc utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again".How to solve it for Windows 10 Pro?I googled and...
  6. FORMATTED MY EXTERNAL BACKUP BY MISTAKE

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FORMATTED MY EXTERNAL BACKUP BY MISTAKE: I have asked before, but didn't get the answer I was hoping for. Just as subject line says, I accidentally formatted my 1TB external hard drive that has my entire backup. Ironically, I did it while starting to make a backup of my backup, that I've been saying to myself for...
  7. FORMATTED MY EXTERNAL BACKUP BY MISTAKE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FORMATTED MY EXTERNAL BACKUP BY MISTAKE: I have asked before, but didn't get the answer I was hoping for. Just as subject line says, I accidentally formatted my 1TB external hard drive that has my entire backup. Ironically, I did it while starting to make a backup of my backup, that I've been saying to myself for...
  8. FORMATTED MY EXTERNAL BACKUP BY MISTAKE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Clean command in DiskPart in cmd by mistake

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Clean command in DiskPart in cmd by mistake: Hey geeks, My PC was having some trouble from last few days, so during the chkdsk, it made one of my partition RAW. So, in order to repair it, I accidently ran clean command in diskpart of Command Prompt Admin on my 1 TB HDD. Then I closed the command prompt immediately...
  10. Can I remove a cmd line entered by mistake

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I remove a cmd line entered by mistake: I have entered this cmd, thinking it was necessary "%ProgramFiles%\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextradata "windows98" VBoxInternal/USB/HidMouse/0/Config/CoordShift 0 but I didn't need to and it is preventing me using the program. Is there a way of undoing or...