Windows 10: CMD Keeps crashing on opening after upgrading to V1709

Discus and support CMD Keeps crashing on opening after upgrading to V1709 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As the title says, I got the update to V1709 and so far everything is working fine except for the CMD, but powershell works. I tried the following... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sumsulk, Oct 24, 2017.

1. sumsulk Win User

CMD Keeps crashing on opening after upgrading to V1709

As the title says, I got the update to V1709 and so far everything is working fine except for the CMD, but powershell works.

I tried the following commands

sfc /scannow
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

But none of these seem to work, I'm wondering if there are any fixes for this issue

:)

sumsulk, Oct 24, 2017

2. explorer.exe keeps on crashing after upgrading to windows 10

Hi Auggy,

Thank you so much for the reply.

I have created dump file and uploaded to my one drive folder and share the link to your email
    *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.

I tried to analyse the dump file using BlueScreenView, but for some reason, it is not able to show anything on the screen.

Hope you would be able to help.

Please let me know the result.

Dennis DevelopmentMode, Oct 24, 2017
  3. auggy Win User
    explorer.exe keeps on crashing after upgrading to windows 10

Hi Dennis,

I might to suggest to obtain a user mode dump of the Explorer crash to get the most information on the crash and perhaps pinpoint the exact cause.

You can configure Windows to create user-mode dumps. Create a System Restore Point first.

If you copy and paste the following in Notepad and save as a .reg file (save with the .reg extension and give it any name such as dump.reg), then right-click the .reg file and select "Merge" to add to the registry, a .dmp file at the time explorer.exe crashes should
    be created in the C:\CrashDumps folder:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\explorer.exe]

"DumpFolder"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,43,00,72,00,61,00,73,00,68,00,44,00,75,\

00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

After Explorer (explorer.exe) crashes, can you then make the .dmp file available (provide link) via a public folder on OneDrive (SkyDrive) or similar site?

Here's a couple of links on using OneDrive (SkyDrive):

OneDrive help - Office Support

Share OneDrive files and folders

More info on collecting user-mode dumps:

Collecting User-Mode Dumps (Windows)

To stop the creation of the user mode dump files run the following registry file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\explorer.exe]

You can delete the C:\CrashDumps folder anytime.

auggy, Oct 24, 2017
  4. CMD Keeps crashing on opening after upgrading to V1709

Check the event logs from Event Viewer maybe there is a log for why Cmd crashed.

What happens when you open Command Prompt as a administrator?

FreeBooter, Oct 24, 2017
  5. sumsulk Win User
    Same result, it just opens rapidly and then minimize's itself and closes down

sumsulk, Oct 24, 2017
  6. sumsulk Win User
    Meh, I think I'll just do a fresh install of windows, it'll be much less trouble then

sumsulk, Oct 24, 2017
  7. FreeBooter, Oct 24, 2017
  8. sumsulk Win User

sumsulk, Oct 24, 2017
  9. sumsulk Win User
    so the repair option with the in-place upgrade didn't work. I had to do a fresh install of windows. Best option would be to wait for Microsoft to fix some of the bugs in V1709

sumsulk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. CMD Keeps crashing on opening after upgrading to V1709 - Similar Threads - CMD Keeps crashing

2. A random CMD promt window keeps on opening

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A random CMD promt window keeps on opening: I reinstalled windows 10 and after that I keeps on getting a random CMD window pop up and it stays for a milisecond and then gone and I dont know what is it or what is happening can anyone please help...
  3. A random CMD promt window keeps on opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A random CMD promt window keeps on opening: I reinstalled windows 10 and after that I keeps on getting a random CMD window pop up and it stays for a milisecond and then gone and I dont know what is it or what is happening can anyone please help...
  4. My game crashes after multitool opens cmd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My game crashes after multitool opens cmd: So i have multitool to one game.When i open multitool it should open that game and cmd to run commands.But when i open my multitool, it opens my game and then game crashes.In my laptop it works, but in my pc it doesnt work.multitool link nightfarm.xyz game link...
  5. My game crashes after multitool opens cmd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My game crashes after multitool opens cmd: So i have multitool to one game.When i open multitool it should open that game and cmd to run commands.But when i open my multitool, it opens my game and then game crashes.In my laptop it works, but in my pc it doesnt work.multitool link nightfarm.xyz game link...
  6. My game crashes after multitool opens cmd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Minecraft keeps crashing after I open it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft keeps crashing after I open it.: I just downloaded Minecraft bedrock on my windows 10 laptop. I haven't played it yet because it keeps crashing after the Mojang screen. I have tried restarting the app but the same thing is happening. I'm not very tech savvy so I was wondering if there are other things I can...
  8. Minecraft keeps crashing after I open it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Minecraft keeps crashing after I open it.: I just downloaded Minecraft bedrock on my windows 10 laptop. I haven't played it yet because it keeps crashing after the Mojang screen. I have tried restarting the app but the same thing is happening. I'm not very tech savvy so I was wondering if there are other things I can...
  9. random cmd prompt keeps opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    random cmd prompt keeps opening: So when I'm using the computer minding my own business a random cmd prompt keeps opening with nothing written on it at the link on top of it it says the usual cmd prompt but then it says something like nutdsr I think so i will try to post a screenshot of it if I can. I'm just...
  10. Cmd closes after open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cmd closes after open: Hello, I installed some program which edited my regedit. As a result there is some cmd starting and closing after every startup and I can't open new cmd because it closes immediately, only powershell works. I found in history that my AutoRun value in...