Windows 10: cmd vs powershell

Discus and support cmd vs powershell in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings. As a normal PC-geek I don't know how, when and why I should use Powershell instead of cmd. Or in another way, why has Microsoft changed cmd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Burgurne, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Burgurne Win User

cmd vs powershell

Greetings.
    As a normal PC-geek I don't know how, when and why I should use Powershell instead of cmd. Or in another way, why has Microsoft changed cmd to Powershell in the right-click menu? What are the benefits?

Or has Microsoft just done this to make fun of us, that don't know all the commands to Powershell ?*Sad

I have found (and used) Brinks good guide to make the cmd rearrive at the menu instead of Powershell, but what am I missing by not learning Powershell??? *Redface

:)

Burgurne, Jun 17, 2017
  2. Mike-77 Win User

Can't run Powershell or cmd.exe as administrator

I'm not really an expert on PowerShell or cmd. Sometimes I'll have a problem with the computer, and when I look around for ways to fix it, sometimes need to use cmd, sometimes PowerShell. There's a good explanation about the differences between PowerShell
    and cmd here.

Mike-77, Jun 17, 2017
  3. Facing some issues in CMD and PowerShell

To resolve your concern, you may perform System File Checker. To do so, check this

link

Let us know the results.

Regards.

Realyn Mar, Jun 17, 2017
  4. cmd vs powershell

MS just wants more people to use it, thus it has brought it to the foreground.
    I always remove it, since mostly only malware uses it, especially ransomware.
    Powershell is a great tool for system admins, since it allows to do more and faster.

TairikuOkami, Jun 17, 2017
  5. vram Win User
    I find PS has this lag to it on startup. The Windows pops up almost immediately, but there is a delay as to when you can start typing anything. Witnessed it on multiple PCs. I hate it for that reason alone.

6. Mystere Win User
    If you don't know why you would use powershell vs cmd, then you probably only need cmd. However, there may be times (especially if you're following a tutorial on here) where they will give you commands that are powershell commands.

There are many subsystems in Windows that have Powershell interfaces for command scripting. So you have to issue commands from Powershell for these.

As an aside, you can enter most cmd commands in powershell and they'll work just fine. For a lot of people you can use them interchangeably.

Mystere, Jun 17, 2017
  7. johnpd Win User
    Powershell is tremendously more powerful and complex. It requires a steep learning curve especially if you are not familiar with an object oriented programming language. There are some things in CMD prompt that do not work in Powershell. If you are using fairly basic commands and batch files, CMD will do although it can do some fairly complicated stuff as well. The biggest problem I have found with Powershell is finding appropriate documentation for it although there are thousands of examples on the net to which you can refer.

JohnD

johnpd, Jun 18, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

cmd vs powershell

That includes the command CMD itself, which will run a command prompt within the PowerShell window. Type EXIT to get back to PowerShell when you're done...

9. pparks1 Win User
    You can run the same commands in powershell as you can in cmd, but you can also run a ton more powershell commands.

I think MS changed it because
    1). More people are using powershell
    2). MS is encouraging those who don't use PS, to start using it.

pparks1, Jun 18, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
Thema:

cmd vs powershell

1. cmd vs powershell - Similar Threads - cmd powershell

2. How to Restart WSL using PowerShell, CMD, Task Manager

in Windows 10 News
    How to Restart WSL using PowerShell, CMD, Task Manager: [IMG]WSL or Windows Subsystem Linux is a built-in feature that helps run a Linux environment on a Windows 10/11 machine without using any dual-boot setup or virtual machine. Restarting WSL can be a convenient and time-efficient way to reboot or reinitialize the Linux instance...
  3. Powershell/CMD Exit Code 3221225794

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powershell/CMD Exit Code 3221225794: We have an file transfer automation application where it can run different applications if needed i.e. WinSCP, PSFTP.exe Putty, Winzip, etc. We use a lot Powershell in some of the file transfer processes. We have one new file transfer process that needs to transfer a large...
  4. Powershell/CMD Exit Code 3221225794

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powershell/CMD Exit Code 3221225794: We have an file transfer automation application where it can run different applications if needed i.e. WinSCP, PSFTP.exe Putty, Winzip, etc. We use a lot Powershell in some of the file transfer processes. We have one new file transfer process that needs to transfer a large...
  5. Enable Tamper Protection Using PowerShel or CMD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable Tamper Protection Using PowerShel or CMD: How to activate Tamper Protection using Powershell or Command Line? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-tamper-protection-using-powershel-or-cmd/bf2364f0-d0e7-4806-aca7-5cd860fe4bf7
  6. Enable Tamper Protection Using PowerShel or CMD

Enable Tamper Protection Using PowerShel or CMD: How to activate Tamper Protection using Powershell or Command Line? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-tamper-protection-using-powershel-or-cmd/bf2364f0-d0e7-4806-aca7-5cd860fe4bf7
  7. Enable Tamper Protection Using PowerShel or CMD

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Cmd and windows Powershell pop and closes when plug the pc to charge. How to solve this,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cmd and windows Powershell pop and closes when plug the pc to charge. How to solve this,...: As I stated above, cmd and windows PowerShell opens and closes in less than a second. This only happens for the first time after I boot the pc, from this I mean that when I start the pc, only the first time I plug it in the charger cmd and powershell pops and after that no...
  9. Cmd and windows Powershell pop and closes when plug the pc to charge. How to solve this,...

Cmd and windows Powershell pop and closes when plug the pc to charge. How to solve this,...: As I stated above, cmd and windows PowerShell opens and closes in less than a second. This only happens for the first time after I boot the pc, from this I mean that when I start the pc, only the first time I plug it in the charger cmd and powershell pops and after that no...
  10. Can you create a DNS server in w10 using a terminal such as powershell, cmd...? without...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can you create a DNS server in w10 using a terminal such as powershell, cmd...? without...: Hello, I am doing work on DNS servers and I would like to know, does anyone know how to install a DNS server on Windows 10 and how to do it, I have looked on many websites and forums and everyone uses Windows Server or Dual Server but these two options do not work for me. , I...