Windows 10: Cmd window font tiny when running .bat and other command line progs

Discus and support Cmd window font tiny when running .bat and other command line progs in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; The default command window font on my W10 Pro is so small as to be unreadable. I changed the cmd.exe font and size properties but that only solves the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by thermocycler, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Cmd window font tiny when running .bat and other command line progs

The default command window font on my W10 Pro is so small as to be unreadable. I changed the cmd.exe font and size properties but that only solves the problem when cmd.exe is run directly. Batch (.bat) files and other programs that open a command window still show in the original tiny font.

I'm going blind here, can someone please tell me how to change this?

:)

thermocycler, Jun 19, 2016
  2. wiens Win User

Not all command lines of CMD are working in Powershell

In build 14971.1000 Microsoft has changed Command prompt with Powershell in the right-click context Startmenu, see screenshot below.

Batch files (.bat or .cmd) will also not run properly in Powershell because not all command lines of HELP are working in the Powershell. How do we run batch (.bat) files with command lines that aren't supported in it.

Consider you have a file "test.bat" on the root of the D: dirve. You can't run in it Powershell by entering "test.bat" on the D: drive. The term will not be recognized. You have to write "D:\test.bat" to run it in Powershell. That is strange behaviour. In
    the old CMD you didn't had to add "D:\" path in the line to run it in the opened directory.

I know CMD can still be executed in the Startmenu of build 14971.1000, but it looks they are changing this behaviour. It is now hidden from the contextmenu by default.

For those who prefer to use Command Prompt, you can opt out of the WIN + X change by opening Settings > Personalization > Taskbar, and turning “Replace Command Prompt with Windows PowerShell in the menu when I right-click the Start button or press Windows
    key+X” to “Off”.

wiens, Jun 19, 2016
  3. COMMAND PROMPTS

Values:

0 - Disables the Policy. No restriction enforced

1- Prevent Access to Command Prompt (also blocks .bat/.cmd scritpting abilities)

2- Prevent Access to Command Prompt (.bat/.cmd scritpting abilities allowed)

This is a per-user setting.

Instead you may set NTFS permissions for c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe, and Deny read/execute access for the other user account (your partners 13 year old son). They can't access this file, can't run bat/cmd
    scripts. Console applications still work.

Accessing Command Prompt, or running .bat/cmd scripts would show the following error:

[Window Title]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe

[Content]

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

[OK]

And make sure that other user is a Standard user.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jun 19, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Cmd window font tiny when running .bat and other command line progs

I've changed my Command Prompt window to display yellow text on blue, changed Font size and changed window size. I went to Start, All apps, scrolled down to the W section, scrolled down to Windows System, right-clicked Command Prompt, clicked More and chose Open File location. Then I right-clicked that shortcut and Properties. The same settings affected both Command Prompt choices on the right-click of the Start menu.

Berton, Jun 19, 2016
  5. Right! That's what I've done and it has fixed the command window if it's opened directly. The problem I am describing is that when it is opened by a batch or other command line file it does not respect those new settings. Maybe a screen grab
    will clarify the issue. Smaller window is opened by a batch file, you'll note that it's the same location cmd.exe that we modified from the Start Menu:

Cmd window font tiny when running .bat and other command line progs [​IMG]

6. Berton Win User
    It appears to me the issue is a .bat file is calling cmd.exe from %windir%\system32\ directly and not through the customizable short cut on the Start, All apps menu. Right-clicking that cmd.exe file that does not give any custom properties available.

Berton, Jun 19, 2016
  7. Hmmmm, I see what you mean *Sad Not a positive change from W7 IMHO.

8. Berton Win User

Windows' Command Prompt can use many of the 'old' DOS batch file commands, maybe something on one of these pages will show how to write a batch file that changes the colors and Fonts:
    dos batch file commands at DuckDuckGo
    I'm recalling that back in my MS-DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 days that could be done but am not recalling the details. I still have a copy of the book Advanced Batch File Programming 3rd Edition, it also included the 5.25" and 3.5" floppies, could compress the files and try to attach if interested.

Berton, Jun 19, 2016
  9. Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    Make changes needed to that instance.

I had a discussion with another member about this subject - they missed the point
    Command Prompt (Admin)
    x-menu: background color set to red 120 ... I immediately know that I am in an elevated cmd
    [ File ] menu on File Explorer: Open cmd as admin: have to set the background color set to red 120 here as well. The property did not stick across the two instances.
    I tried launching C:\windows\system32\cmd (from inside a std Cmd) to see if the background was red 120 - but alas it was not.
    Run (WinKey+R) [ cmd ] was red 120 though.

I can't recall where cmd stores it's configuration ... or if it even uses one any longer.
    But there has to be somewhere these properties can be set ... registry console?

Slartybart, Jun 19, 2016
  10. Yeah, there have to be a registry hacks for this. I found this Microsoft blog post telling us how wonderful the Win 10 console was going to be but it doesn't have any actionable intelligence.

thermocycler, Jun 20, 2016
  11. chiko Win User
    Confirmed and unexpected.
    I fixed mine by creating an innocuous bat with
    Code: copy con tst.bat dir /s ^Z[/quote] I clicked it while running to pause and set the CMD properties to match what a default Command window was and it worked.

chiko, Jun 20, 2016
  12. Try this (I feel like a novice *Redface )

Launch Command Prompt
    Right click the title bar
    Select Defaults
    Set your fonts, position, size, color, etc
    Press OK

It didn't seem to work on my machine
    ... maybe restarting Explorer or the machine after changing the Command defaults is required
    I'm in the middle of a few things - I'll try both restarts and post back.

Slartybart, Jun 20, 2016
  13. Cmd window font tiny when running .bat and other command line progs

I clicked it while running to pause and set the CMD properties to match what a default Command window was and it worked.[/quote] Aha, that's the way to do it. Just need to figure out how to hold each console window open in order to make the change. Fixed the .bat console and the Python console so far *Smile

Thanks, that was almost too easy...

thermocycler, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cmd window font tiny when running .bat and other command line progs - Similar Threads - Cmd window font

2. When I run .bat or .cmd files it give me an error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I run .bat or .cmd files it give me an error.: When ever I run a .bat or .cmd file it give me an error that "Windows cannnot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access this item. I don't want to run them but it is the same with programs too. My account is adminator and I...
  3. When I run .bat or .cmd files it give me an error.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I run .bat or .cmd files it give me an error.: When ever I run a .bat or .cmd file it give me an error that "Windows cannnot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access this item. I don't want to run them but it is the same with programs too. My account is adminator and I...
  4. When I run .bat or .cmd files it give me an error.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. wuauclt.exe CMD command lines

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wuauclt.exe CMD command lines: 04/22/2022 - 10:59Hello,I am studying in a computer science school, and I work in a telecommunication company sandwich course. I have a project to do to validate my year.I have a Windows server 2012 R2.My goal is to update my computer with command lines.I have the constraint...
  6. wuauclt.exe CMD command lines

wuauclt.exe CMD command lines: 04/22/2022 - 10:59Hello,I am studying in a computer science school, and I work in a telecommunication company sandwich course. I have a project to do to validate my year.I have a Windows server 2012 R2.My goal is to update my computer with command lines.I have the constraint...
  7. Bat or Cmd file not running at login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bat or Cmd file not running at login: This should be an easy one. Created a net use map drive batch file, also as a cmd. Either one not both, just as a troubleshooting step. File is located on my desktop and if I double click on it, either one it executes as expected and maps the drives. 1st approach was a...
  8. Bat or Cmd file not running at login

Bat or Cmd file not running at login: This should be an easy one. Created a net use map drive batch file, also as a cmd. Either one not both, just as a troubleshooting step. File is located on my desktop and if I double click on it, either one it executes as expected and maps the drives. 1st approach was a...
  9. Blurry explorer.exe when run by command line

in Windows 10 Customization
    Blurry explorer.exe when run by command line: I've noticed that 'explorer.exe' strangely opens with a different graphical quality when it's addressed by the 'command line' compare to being opened and directed by clicking. Please check the side by side comparison in the attached snapshot. Explorer window on the left was...
  10. Thunderbird font is tiny tiny tiny.....

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird font is tiny tiny tiny.....: I am using Thunderbird mail client version 72.0b2 (32 bit) and the font is really small. I can;t figure out how to make it bigger and any add-ons say they are not compatible with this version of Thunderbird. I first tried version 68.3.1 but ran into the same problem. I use...