Windows 10: CMD's REN and wildcards in Win10

Discus and support CMD's REN and wildcards in Win10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I learned MS-DOS commands back with MS-DOS 3.30 around 1989. I recall there were some tricks with wildcards.So when I started downloading X-COM 2 from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SlickRCBD, Jun 26, 2021.

1. SlickRCBD Win User

CMD's REN and wildcards in Win10

I learned MS-DOS commands back with MS-DOS 3.30 around 1989. I recall there were some tricks with wildcards.So when I started downloading X-COM 2 from GOG, and figured out how to use DownThemAll after the first three files, only to find it used a different set of names, I was upset.However, they were all numbered, and I thought I'd just use the REN command to rename them all at once. Except it didn't work. I'm certain this should have worked in MS-DOS, and I also tried it with both the ? and * wildcards.Could somebody please tell me what I did wrong? I've been using wildcards for over 30 years

:)

SlickRCBD, Jun 26, 2021
  2. Try3 Win User

Qualified Path Wildcard?

For the purpose of what you were trying to achieve in your OP, what I posted achieves that purpose.

As for asking more generally about the use of asterisks in paths, might I suggest that you try to write down unambiguously what you meant by that asterisk in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\*\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate"
    - I think you won't be able to do so.
    - You might, however, be able to experiment with DIR "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\*" commands as a step towards a solution and that, in essence, is all I've done in my code.

Denis

3. ram93 Win User
    laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Jun 26, 2021
  4. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Jun 26, 2021
Thema:

1. CMD's REN and wildcards in Win10 - Similar Threads - CMD's REN wildcards

2. This command not working: ren "A *.*" "*.*"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    This command not working: ren "A *.*" "*.*": This command is not working for me: ren "A *.*" "*.*" I don't get an error, but file names do not change. Is this command incorrect? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-command-not-working-ren-a/1cd44cf6-63ac-469d-bc41-7bbb2c21284e
  3. This command not working: ren "A *.*" "*.*"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This command not working: ren "A *.*" "*.*": This command is not working for me: ren "A *.*" "*.*" I don't get an error, but file names do not change. Is this command incorrect? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-command-not-working-ren-a/1cd44cf6-63ac-469d-bc41-7bbb2c21284e
  4. This command not working: ren "A *.*" "*.*"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Access Denied on ren command in cmd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access Denied on ren command in cmd: whenever i go into cmds and run it as admin, i type in cd c:\usersthen i do ren bartl "Bartlomiej Dudzik"but i get an Access Denied pop up???any tips or fixes?...
  6. Access Denied on ren command in cmd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access Denied on ren command in cmd: whenever i go into cmds and run it as admin, i type in cd c:\usersthen i do ren bartl "Bartlomiej Dudzik"but i get an Access Denied pop up???any tips or fixes?...
  7. Access Denied on ren command in cmd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. ren cmd syntax error

ren cmd syntax error: I get a syntax error when trying to globally rename the directories below; for example, to change the "x" to a number, e.g., "2," These directories are contained in a sub-directory within my Documents, and these directories have sub-directories inside of them.The format of...
  9. Qualified Path Wildcard?

in Windows 10 Support
    Qualified Path Wildcard?: Microsoft Windows Version 10.0.18363.836 1909 Pro Administrator: Admin cmd C:\>"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2005.5-0\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate Signature update started . . . Signature update finished. C:\>"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows...
  10. REN command is not working

REN command is not working: I have written a simple batch file to rename all of the files with a same file extension inside a folder with consecutive number starting with one provided by the user. It works correctly when I use it with files named like "[We-now] Do It - 783 [spa]".****, but when I try to...