Windows 10: C'mon Hollywood --let us rip old DVD's on to convenient HDD's

Discus and support C'mon Hollywood --let us rip old DVD's on to convenient HDD's in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there The old Hollywood Dinosaurs are at it again -- Now they are having a go at SLYSOFT based in Antigua to get them to stop supplying the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Feb 16, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

C'mon Hollywood --let us rip old DVD's on to convenient HDD's

Hi there

The old Hollywood Dinosaurs are at it again -- Now they are having a go at SLYSOFT based in Antigua to get them to stop supplying the popular DVD / BLU Ray ripping software.

Hollywood Escalates Case to International Incident - TorrentFreak

I'm sure loads of people on these boards as well as millions around the world have ripped DVD's (which were legitimately paid for) to store on NAS boxes etc. Many computers (most these days probably_ don't even have DVD drives any more) and who needs to store hundreds of DVD's in any case.

These people are living in a bygone age -- in any case having a go at these sorts of companies won't stop piracy - if anything it will probably increase it.

I for one often use things like AnyDVD or MAKEMKV to rip DVD's so I can store on my Media server. I then donate the DVD's to a charity shop. Gone are the days where I need to store loads of DVD's.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 16, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

windows dvd to dvd

If it is a home movie, simply copy the folder(s) (VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS if it exits) from the DVD onto your hard drive, insert a blank disc and copy them back onto the blank disc and choose Burn. As long as it is not an Original Retail DVD of a Hollywood
    movie this method is the fastest and simplest

If you rip the the DVD to another format it is time consuming, processor intensive, unnecessary and you risk changing the resolution and aspect ratio

DaveM121, Feb 16, 2016
  3. kavi6233 Win User
    N95 8BG Memory problems, can anyone help me?

**bleep**ing chinese fakes. C'mon Nokia rip these chinese!

kavi6233, Feb 16, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

That would be nice, its actually illegal in the UK to back up movies and audio.

swarfega, Feb 16, 2016
  5. This sucks big time. I buy all my dvds legitimately and rip them via CloneDVD mobile and Anydvd for my own personal use, yes NAS storage and streaming to TV. I keep all my DVDs too. Seems so draconian.

Scottyboy99, Feb 16, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Not my problem actually !!! although ISL hosts some of the more "dubious VPN's and torrent domains" since very little blocking goes on here. Also "Tor browser" is used a lot so UK / EU type of blocking like Virgin Media / SKY / Talk talk etc ISP's do doesn't work here - it's 100% ineffective --- however my gripe is with using LEGITIMATE stuff you've paid for. In no way am I going back to masses and masses of DVD's all over the place.

Also when I travel (and I do a lot --still doing a lot of consultancy all over Europe) I take one of those small "Passport" type external USB HDD's -- with a decent 2 TB HDD and decent X265 HEVC encoding I've probably got enough movies on that device at high quality to last me into the NEXT millennium. If I can't rip my own DVD's then I'll probably look for the other ways of doing things so the studios will lose a legit customer. Grab your copies of AnyDVD and Makemkv now before the court starts doing it's nuisance by appeasing "the big boys" to the detriment of the ordinary LEGITIMATE consumers.

My parents are quite elderly now --it happens to all of us eventually-- and don't go to the shops that often -- they can watch a lot of my stuff from my NAS server - and I'm not moving a Blu RAY player around to every g--am-ned TV in my place or carry a load of DVD's over to parents / colleagues houses for them to play.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 16, 2016
  7. I own both AnyDVD and Clonedvdmobile already so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Ripping my own dvds for my own use.

I don't ever get to watch the TV at home due to working late and children dominating it. So ripping movies and putting them on my NAS drives is what I do. I then either stream late at night to our upstairs TV whilst in bed or more often, I use FileBrowser app on my iPhone / iPad to download my own ripped dvd films at leisure into the app for watching on the long commutes to and from work. All above board in my eyes.

My fear is that MS release some update to cripple the programs at a latter date regardless of the fact I own them, legitimately paid for them and also own and have paid for every single one of the 1000+ dvds in my collection.

8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

just keep a backup of a WORKING Windows system (or create a VM) so if Ms ever play nasty just boot from the old Windows or run the Virtual machine. On typical systems a VM for running a NAS server doesn't use a huge amount of resources -- the biggest block will be the I/O -- but then only if the NAS needs to decode on the fly which these days shouldn't happen that often --I'm using PLEX as my movie streamer and Logitech (squeezebox) server for audio - this handles FLAC - I like uncompressed music into decent high end audio equipment- but there are a load of other of other good ones too.

Slightly OT -- suggest you get a CHROMECAST dongle if you have a TV with an HDMI connection. Works brilliantly -- you start PLEX from your mobile phone and use that as the remote to cast to the TV. You need PLEX server (free) on your NAS.

There's also a wifi-ethernet adapter for the chomecast so if you don't have fast wifi connect the chromecast to an Ethernet connection from your cable box / router --speeds the whole thing up by "an order of magnitude" for those with slow Wifi. Cointrolling the wole thing from a phone is brilliant.

Install PLEX (server) on your NAS and the CLIENT on your smart phone.

If your NAS doesn't have an install PLEX facility then start the PLEX server from a laptop using the NAS multimedia libraries from the NAS box and then cast to TV as before with mobile phone.

Note there's no battery drain on the phone --the phone just acts as the handset --you can even switch off the phone while playing your content.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 16, 2016
  9. Edwin New Member
    I shied away, in recent years, from keeping my most cherished media on the PC.
    I'd rather have a physical DVD gracing my shelf or a vinyl LP gracing a high end turntable.
    Having e-copies of everything just seems like you don't own it if you can't touch it!

Edwin, Feb 16, 2016
  10. I am a bit like you, I enjoy owning the physical copies. But I want the convenience of digital versions of my films too. I never get to play a dvd on the TV anymore as my family controls the TV - if I'm lucky and Manchester United are on live I might be allowed to watch it but's rare!

Even if I did get more TV time I cannot be bothered to sift through the 1000+ dvds I have. Once upon they were all nice and in alphabetical order. Then the children came along ....

11. cereberus Win User
    Totally agree. In UK law was changed last year to allow fair use ie you could copy for personal backup/use but got reversed in High Court by the media dinosaurs.

They cannot get their heads around the fact that these restrictive practices force people to use illegal means!

cereberus, Feb 16, 2016
  12. Edwin New Member
    Doesn't matter if they make it legal or not.
    The same unlawful ingrates are gonna run down to the corner store and rent a first run movie release for 99¢, rip it, bring it back, then go home and gloat that they have a copy of the latest movie, and wallow in their illegal satisfaction of watching it at their leisure!

Edwin, Feb 16, 2016
  13. cereberus Win User

Blimey 99 cents for a new release in a corner store!

In the UK, DVD rentals from stores have virtually disappeared from existence.

Also in UK, a lot of places who sell DVDs will not accept returns unless you prove DVD was faulty.

Of course, people would do it borrowing a DVD off a friend perhaps, but this is only a tiny percentage.

Restricting the majority of law abiding persons because of a few bad guys is silly isn't it.

After all, who in their right mind would restrict guns sales because a few bad guys might kill somebody *Biggrin !

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. C'mon Hollywood --let us rip old DVD's on to convenient HDD's - Similar Threads - C'mon Hollywood let

2. Please Let us Rollback to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please Let us Rollback to Windows 10: Ever since updating my system to Windows 11, life has been very difficult for me. I'm a software Engineer, so my job is to work on my computer almost 24/7. I can't do that if my system is laggy and choppy all the time.I have a 10th gen i7 processor laptop with 24 gb of Ram...
  3. windows search...c'mon man

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows search...c'mon man: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/FalseAgent [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/np3tfa/windows_searchcmon_man/
  4. Old hdd problem

Old hdd problem: Hi I have this old "WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar 2850" and I plugged in with an Usb adapter and I got this sound that something got plugged in but I can't see it. submitted by /u/Joey_0w0 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ky09dy/old_hdd_problem/
  5. Old HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Old HDD: So I just found an old hdd I've been looking for and plugged it into my comp using a usb bridge. It didn't show in explorer so I checked disk management and there it is. It says it's healthy and while it's probably almost 25 years old, the drive is still running just fine...
  6. Missing HDD and CD/DVD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Missing HDD and CD/DVD: Hello Members, I hav been putting this off for some time, but because it is raining and gloomy I thought I would ask this now. My HP Pavilion Notebook ha two physical drives. A 2tb Hard Disk Drive and a CD/DVD. They are obviously working as I can power up and use the...
  7. Reusing old HDD

Reusing old HDD: I just got an ssd for my pc. I want to use it as my boot drive, and my old hard drive for storage. Do I need wipe the HDD, and if so, how do I do it? submitted by /u/TheThirdWheel13 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/erwehu/reusing_old_hdd/
  8. C'mon Ms -- this is rediculous

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    C'mon Ms -- this is rediculous: Hi folks I don't know what games Ms are playing at but this is absolute Bovine Scatology. Centos web site -- (Centos is one of the most used server systems on the planet - based on Red Hat Enterprise server and supported by Red Hat itself) reported unsafe which is total...
  9. W10 and ripping DVD's / Blu Ray's

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 and ripping DVD's / Blu Ray's: Hi there One thing about W10 - a lot of programs I had problems with in the past seem to work perfectly now. This one works brilliantly for example. I use MAKEMKV now for ripping DVD's (FREE) -- there is a fee though if you use Blu RAY's but you get 30 days free trial....
  10. To any DVD ripping - Handbrake quality - Lossless or default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    To any DVD ripping - Handbrake quality - Lossless or default: Hi there To any DVD rippers -- standard DVD's not Blu Ray's. I'm converting my huge mass of DVD's into MKV files to store on HDD and then give the physical DVD's away to the local charity shop -- I've got around 1000 collected over the years. HANDBRAKE converts the...