Windows 10: Coil noise just started on my sons EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra

Discus and support Coil noise just started on my sons EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; For the record, I know what coil whine is and I know it doesn't damage anything...it 's just slightly annoying. History on this setup We built this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by pparks1, Jan 31, 2021.

1. pparks1 Win User

Coil noise just started on my sons EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra

For the record, I know what coil whine is and I know it doesn't damage anything...it 's just slightly annoying.

History on this setup
    • We built this computer in Dec of 2019. It's a Ryzen 3800x, Seasonic Prime 850w, EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Gaming, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 + Wifi mobo
    • He had an APC Back-UPS 600 from his previous build, but it didin't work for the above computer because whenever he would start up a game, the UPS would just emit a constant scream as it was technically overloaded.
    • We just plugged his PC and monitors into the surge only outlets on the APC and turned off the power and that is how it has been running until today
    • We noticed no coil while

Today, I went out and picked up a Cyber Power 1350VA UPS and plugged his computer into it. I would rather have his machine protected from power outages. Booted up his PC, all was well and I was watching his power draw on the readout. Got his idle averages and had him power up a game, wanted to see where the power draw would go to. He was at about 45% load on the UPS, which is good, but had coil whine coming from his EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Gaming.

So, I figured, well maybe this Cyber Power UPS is crap (I usually stick with APC, but wanted to save a few $$'s). So, we plugged stuff back in the way we had it. Everything into just the surge side of the old UPS which was turned off and coil whine was gone when we went into a game, and were gaming with high frame rates on his 144hz monitor.

Then we started to troubleshoot the new UPS to see if we could find a config that would work, but we couldn't. Always would have the coil whine under load while gaming at high FPS.

I went to my office and grabbed my 2 week old APC Back-UPS 1500 (that runs my Ryzen 9 5900x and EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra gaming without issue). We plugged that in, and he still got the coil whine.

So, that left me thinking.....it might be the whole pure sine wave versus simulated sine wave issue. But when the UPS is plugged into AC power/'mains...it passes a pure sinewave signal, so that should not be it.

Therefore, decided at this point, just gonna return the new 1350VA UPS and put him back the way it was and come back to the problem another day.

However, now we get coil whine plugged back into the original UPS, turned off, just on the surge side. WTH...I was able to go back and forth testing this earlier and this configuration always worked, but now we get coil noise. I then pulled the old UPS and put in a nice home theater power strip thing, and same issue. Even with no UPS in his room, still getting coil whine out of the 2080 Super.

Updated the NVIDIA drivers...although I was 99.9% sure that wouldn't fix the issue. Since we didn't have any issues earlier in the evening.

My son doesn't really care. He games with a headset on and cannot hear the noise whatsoever when he is gaming. It just bugs me that I took something that WAS working 100% and somehow caused a change.

Again, I realize that coil whine is normal, it happens on high end cards, and is not an issue...but it's odd that I didn't have it before. if we intentionally limit FPS to 60 in game, no noise. If we play on his other 2 60Hz monitors, no noise. It's only when he is under load to his 144Hz display that we notice the noise. When the game goes to a cut scene or something with less load, noise drops or goes away entirely. So, it's 100% a coil whine issue.

Wondered if any video card gurus here have ever had any success with anything involving this? Reseating the video card, reconnecting the 8 pin power cables, etc?

RMA on the card is a non option. We bought the card from EVGA directly from their B-stock program and the product has a product code that is apparently only covered by a 1 year warranty...so we are 2 months out of the warranty period. Also, I've read tons of stories from people who did RMA cards due to coil whine and the same problems happened with their replacement cards too. It's like luck of the silicon lottery, just luck of the coils themselves.

:)

pparks1, Jan 31, 2021
  2. pparks1 Win User

To AMD or to Intel - Discussion: Pros and cons

Well, my son just bought an EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra...so he seems to want to stick with Nvidia as far as video goes.

pparks1, Jan 31, 2021
  3. AddRAM Win User
    AddRAM, Jan 31, 2021
  4. pparks1 Win User

Buying 12 year old son new pc

Okay, getting my son a new PC for Christmas. He has saved his money from lawn mowing and rake cleanup and saved enough for his video card.

Already bought
    Evga 2080 super ftw3 ultra
    Coolermaster h500 midtower
    AMD 3800x
    Seasonic prime 850w full modular psu
    Asus TUF 570 gaming plus (wifi)
    2 x 1TB WD Black SN750 PCIe NVMe
    32GB G.Skill NeoDDR4-3200 Cas 16

To buy later
    2tb Samsung data ssd
    Corsair h100i rgb cooler.

Any concerns?

pparks1, Jan 31, 2021
Thema:

1. Coil noise just started on my sons EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra - Similar Threads - Coil noise started

2. Weird PSU buzzing noises and coil whine noises

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Weird PSU buzzing noises and coil whine noises: I just got a new Super Flower Leadex III Gold PSU today, and it’s making this extremely loud noise. This is what it sounds like: https://www.mediafire.com/file/as7bv0092ghwpod/IMG_4014.MOV/file It seems it goes away if the fan stops spinning. Is it probably just coil whine...
  3. Weird PSU buzzing noises and coil whine noises

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird PSU buzzing noises and coil whine noises: I just got a new Super Flower Leadex III Gold PSU today, and it’s making this extremely loud noise. This is what it sounds like: https://www.mediafire.com/file/as7bv0092ghwpod/IMG_4014.MOV/file It seems it goes away if the fan stops spinning. Is it probably just coil whine...
  4. Weird PSU buzzing noises and coil whine noises

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Best Gaming/Ultra Wide Monitor for 2080 RTX Super?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Best Gaming/Ultra Wide Monitor for 2080 RTX Super?: Let me start off by saying I don't know what the hell is going on with these. There's like 500 million options. People say 2080 RTX Super is good for 144mhz and some say otherwise. I also day trade so I was looking for a nice big ass, ultra wide monitor to keep all the charts...
  6. RTX 2080 super crashing while playing games!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RTX 2080 super crashing while playing games!: I have had trouble with my 2080 super for a couple months now. I get DXGI errors and Video driver crashed and was reset make sure your drivers are up to date errors or sometimes nothing at all. Any graphic intense game crashes. This card worked fine until a couple months ago....
  7. What is the average price of a used EVGA 2080 Ti goes for these days?

What is the average price of a used EVGA 2080 Ti goes for these days?: Hi, I was wondering what the approximate price of an EVGA 2080 Ti card is these days since the 3080 is now out. I'm wondering what I should be paying. I don't want to her scammed. Thanks for any help. 168414
  8. 1440p with GTX 1080ti, 2080 or 2080 Super. performance?

1440p with GTX 1080ti, 2080 or 2080 Super. performance?: Looking for feedback on people who have a 1440p monitor with 1080ti 2080 or 2080 super. I am currently using a 1080p monitor but feel tempted to upgrade to 1440p at some point. How does your performance look like at 1440p? I watched some benchmarks online and most of them...
  9. New 2080 Super with 144Mhz monitor, won't downclock

New 2080 Super with 144Mhz monitor, won't downclock: So, on my kids new PC, he has a 2080 Super FTW3, connected to 3 monitors. 2 of them are 60Hz monitors, and 1 is Gync-Compatible AOC that runs at 144Hz. Trying to track down an oddity with fans spinning up on the GPU, noticed via Precision X1 that his Clock speed as always...
  10. RTX 2080 - MSI or EVGA?

RTX 2080 - MSI or EVGA?: Question guys, would you go with this MSI (on sale for $720) or with this EVGA for 70 bucks more? The only significant difference I see in the specs is the boost clocks...1710 MHz on the MSI vs 1800 MHz on the EVGA. Is that worth paying the extra $70? Also, the EVGA black...