Windows 10: Cold boot freezes twice before finally succeeding on third try

Discus and support Cold boot freezes twice before finally succeeding on third try in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm running the ASUS M3A76-CM motherboard with an AMD 64 Athlon processor--8 Gb of RAM. Recently I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7, and now have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LRK, Nov 5, 2016.

1. LRK
    LRK Win User

Cold boot freezes twice before finally succeeding on third try

I'm running the ASUS M3A76-CM motherboard with an AMD 64 Athlon processor--8 Gb of RAM.

Recently I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7, and now have a cold-booting problem. When I do a complete shutdown, and try to boot up at another time, the first press of the Startup button on my tower freezes at the Setup screen.

I have to do a hard shutdown, and on the second try, it gets past the Setup screen and begins starting Windows, but freezes about 5 seconds later.
    Another hard shutdown followed by a third try finally succeeds in normal bootup.

I tried disabling ASUS Express Gate in Setup, but that doesn't solve the problem. It still takes three attempts to cold boot successfully. Since the only thing that's changed on my machine is the upgrade to Win10, I suspect that's involved.

:)

2. MoreyW Win User

Computer freezes on cold boot. Always resolved on reboot. Event error log as below

I found a post that similar problems could be caused by fast start. After disabling that in power options, the problem at least thus far is resolved.

Thanks

MoreyW, Nov 5, 2016
  3. MoreyW Win User
    Computer freezes on cold boot. Always resolved on reboot. Event error log as below

Thanks for your rapid response.

The build is 16299.125 and no updates available

No changes to user profile. I did set up a guest profile and the problem persisted.

Also, no new programs since problem began but there have been some program updates.

I tried disabling all startup programs and problem persisted.

Thanks again for your attention

MoreyW, Nov 5, 2016
  4. Cold boot freezes twice before finally succeeding on third try

LRK,

Welcome to the forum!

It may or may not be upgrading to Windows 10, and, there are other considerations...

Try following the mainboard's manual to reset the CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide semiconductor).

Before doing so, make sure you unplug the power cord. Next, to disperse internal voltage​, hold down the On button for about 30 seconds.

There is also the possibility this issue could be related to hardware, like a faulty power supply.

cottonball, Nov 6, 2016
  5. LRK
    LRK Win User
    Thanks, I'll check out those possibilities. This is a system I built myself using an old HP tower. I had to do a bit of a hack on connecting the start button leads to the ASUS terminals, but it always worked fine prior to the Win 10 upgrade. I'll open it up and check those connections, and if they're still ok, will try the CMOS reset. Power supply is quite new, and seems to be fine.

6. When you get the computer to turn on, do the LEDs light up, does the hard drive make a few noises, do you see some text appearing on the initial screen?

Also, you can try booting with one stick of RAM, then try two, etc.

Let us know what happens. Thanks!

cottonball, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cold boot freezes twice before finally succeeding on third try

1. Cold boot freezes twice before finally succeeding on third try - Similar Threads - Cold boot freezes

2. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cold boot BSOD: Everyday at startup I get a BSOD. This only happens once and then never for the duration the pc is on. The BSOD errors sometimes vary but this is a analyzed dump file from a recent one:******************************************************************************** **...
  3. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cold boot BSOD: Everyday at startup I get a BSOD. This only happens once and then never for the duration the pc is on. The BSOD errors sometimes vary but this is a analyzed dump file from a recent one:******************************************************************************** **...
  4. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 Freeze/Crash after Cold Boot

Windows 10 Freeze/Crash after Cold Boot: I have been having these problem for a couple of weeks now and it is very consistent. Everyday when II turn the computer for the first time it always crashes after 1 few minutes consistently and after I hard reset it, it runs fine. So far I have tried the following method I...
  6. Cold Boot Hangup - Froze before Windows 10 Boot Screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cold Boot Hangup - Froze before Windows 10 Boot Screen: Good morning all! *Cool Posting here since it appears to be a hardware issue. I perform a full shutdown every night. This morning on startup I got the (hardware?) Boot Screen and it froze there not moving to the Windows Boot Screen. I tried again from a full shutdown and all...
  7. BSOD on cold boot.

BSOD on cold boot.: I have been getting a variety of BSOD's on cold boots. After the first BSOD, everything runs smoothly thereafter; any amount of stress on the PC doesn't cause any BSOD. Things I have tried: Updated bios and all the motherboard related whatnot. Tried to update all my...
  8. Black screen before log in on cold boot, without cursor in Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen before log in on cold boot, without cursor in Win10: Hello. For a period of one month, I’m facing a black screen problem without a cursor before the login screen. I have a windows 10 installed PC, with an asus nvidia gt630 graphics card with the latest driver installed. I tried to uninstall the graphics card and reinstalled...
  9. Cold boot issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cold boot issues: Hello, i have this issue on one PC that I've installed windows 10 and it doesn't boot properly. It goes to the windows logo part then it hangs for a bit before shutting itself down , then i need to power it on again and it will boot after a while. It also creates massive...
  10. Cold Start Freeze

in Windows 10 Support
    Cold Start Freeze: When performing a cold start, the windows logo appears but nothing happens. If I reboot (Hold in the start button) and wait a few seconds, then repress the start button, Windows-10 loads. Why is this? 24306