Windows 10: Cold Start Freeze

Discus and support Cold Start Freeze in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When performing a cold start, the windows logo appears but nothing happens. If I reboot (Hold in the start button) and wait a few seconds, then repress... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sunburn Ed, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Cold Start Freeze

When performing a cold start, the windows logo appears but nothing happens. If I reboot (Hold in the start button) and wait a few seconds, then repress the start button, Windows-10 loads. Why is this?

:)

Sunburn Ed, Sep 27, 2015
  2. Bill12640 Win User

Fall Creators 32-bit installation crashes

On a 32-bit Win10 box Fall Creators installation crashes. Black screen freeze at 75%... cold boot... starts installing again at 75% with red screen... then red screen freeze at 83%... cold boot... reverts back to my earlier Win10 version. Tried online and
    iso installs. Ran Update troubleshooter too. Did not resolve problem. How to solve this?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

Bill12640, Sep 27, 2015
  3. kapbharat Win User
    nokia 5230 display problems

Cold ? How much cold ? If its freezing then that may be due to the Temperature effect. Place a thick peice of cloth or some insulating material first, and then keep the phone on that...

kapbharat, Sep 27, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

Cold Start Freeze

What build are you using?

5. XweAponX Win User
    Does the Device, PC, Laptop go into Sleep mode or Hibernation? My Desktop won't wake from sleep mode, I have to do much the same thing you describe to boot it, else it just sits there. Sometimes I have to flip the power switch on the power supply.

I have had some Toshiba Satellite laptops get stuck in a limbo state, they had been hibernated, and pressing start would not resume. You can tell when they are in this state because when you try to boot, you don't get the boot time messages (F9 for Boot Menu, etc). To bust it out of that mode I had to turn it on then remove the battery and let it shut off and reset, then I could boot it.

XweAponX, Sep 27, 2015
  6. Mouhim Win User
    Hi,

The fast startup option is not advised on some computers. Even with TH2 on, it makes Windows Hangs when doing a Cold start (A startup not a restart) on some computers, it's not a universal bug.

Disable it in Control panel, power options, choose what power button do, click on change settings that are currently unavailable in the upper section before going down to uncheck the option "Turn on fast startup".

Since doing so will prevent cases like yours from benefiting from this new feature, i would suggest to turn off the startup windows splash screen to gain back a second or two. (Do so by running Msconfig, go to the boot section, and check NO GUI BOOT.

Good luck

Mouhim, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cold Start Freeze

1. Cold Start Freeze - Similar Threads - Cold Start Freeze

2. "Live Kernel Dump" related freeze cold trail...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Live Kernel Dump" related freeze cold trail...: Normally these days with Any Windows problem o' mine there's always some sort of temporary solution, but other than a recent hardware change I made that may be to blame which I will get to, my patience is just about wearing thin, and I'd dislike to have to resort to a...
  3. "Live Kernel Dump" related freeze cold trail...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Live Kernel Dump" related freeze cold trail...: Normally these days with Any Windows problem o' mine there's always some sort of temporary solution, but other than a recent hardware change I made that may be to blame which I will get to, my patience is just about wearing thin, and I'd dislike to have to resort to a...
  4. BSOD on cold start only

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on cold start only: Hello, Recently been having BSOD on cold starts only. From what I have read online it indicates a memory module fail. I have looked at the minidump and there is an indication of a memory issue but I'm not sure if I am reading the dump file correctly. Also, are there any...
  5. Windows 10 - Cold Start

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 - Cold Start: Question: When I first power up my laptop, I get the background screen. When I access the mouse or touch the trackpad my screen flashes wildly. I got to reboot the laptop, and everything is resolved; the problem disappears. -- Quite baffling ?? -- Anyone ever encountered...
  6. BSOD on cold start up

BSOD on cold start up: Hi, I just put together a new desktop. I5 9600k Aorus Z390 Ultra 16 gb ram @3200 Mhz Recently I have been getting BSOD on cold start up. Usually, the system would reboot and it be stable thereafter. I have the dump files hosted here....
  7. explorer is not launching on windows cold start up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    explorer is not launching on windows cold start up.: On starting my laptop from a complete shut down and logging in, i only see a command shell window, i have to run explorer.exe in the command shell for it to come up. any suggestions on a fix? or what is possibly causing the problem?...
  8. 1903 Crashes on Restart... Not on Cold Start

in Windows 10 Support
    1903 Crashes on Restart... Not on Cold Start: Just received the WU 1903 update on an Asus Zenbook laptop. During each reboot the Asus locked up on its boot screen. The Asus logo appeared, but not the circling balls. Eventually it timed out to a black screen of death. Forcibly powering off, and then restarting continued...
  9. BSOD every cold start

BSOD every cold start: Hi, I'm getting BSOD every cold start of my PC every day. After rebooting everything runs fine. The system is new (it was built a week ago). memtest86 showed no errors and clean windows reinstall didn't help as well. Yesterday I updated all drivers/BIOS via MSI live...
  10. BSOD on cold start up

BSOD on cold start up: Hi The BSOD, that happens on a cold start up (when the computer has been turned off overnight) has been happening on random occasions ever since I built the computer. I've reinstalled windows, twice. I had thought it might be a hardware issue and have checked each stick of...