Windows 10: Cold start OK, reboot hangs on splash screen

Discus and support Cold start OK, reboot hangs on splash screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The machine is MSI Titan GT80 running latest-greatest Win10. The problem began after I installed an AHCI driver as I moved the machine from the RAID... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dictum, May 9, 2020.

1. dictum Win User

Cold start OK, reboot hangs on splash screen

The machine is MSI Titan GT80 running latest-greatest Win10.

The problem began after I installed an AHCI driver as I moved the machine from the RAID mode to AHCI mode in BIOS.
    I undid the RAID configuration a while back but it stayed configured in the RAID mode and booted/rebooted with no issues.

The problem however, in the RAID mode, the machine would not detect one of my SSDs, because not having an active RAID and just the setting meant it defaulted to the IDE mode as far as I understand which is inferior to the AHCI.

Now in the AHCI mode in bios and a AHCI driver installed, a cold boot takes 15 seconds and a reboot hangs on the splash screen.

I disabled fast boot, now the button can't be even checked on:

Cold start OK, reboot hangs on splash screen [​IMG]

Ran sfc /scannow with no errors.

Turned off hybernation:

The fast boot however is still enabled in BIOS, should I turn that off?

:)

dictum, May 9, 2020
  2. zinou Win User

5 min delay on cold start between login screen and bg screen

Ok, let the powershell command run overnight
    If the command didn't solve the problem, the try these steps in order:

1. Disable superfetch service
      • Empty the following folder c:\Windows\Prefetch\
      • Restart the computer
      • Si ça ne marche pas, passer à l'étape 2;
    2. Disable the AppXSvc from the registry: change the "Start" key value from 3 to 4 (see the screenshot)

zinou, May 9, 2020
  3. mora67 Win User
    5 min delay on cold start between login screen and bg screen

After overnight looks

mora67, May 9, 2020
  4. Miracus Win User

HELP!? System Hangs At Windows Splash Screen.

Hi Guys,

To cut a long story short, I built a PC for a friend and it runs fine when it actually boots though! All the parts are compatible and brand new but from day one after setup the system has giving the following symptoms:

Symtoms & Actions taken:

* Inconsistent hangs during Windows XP splash screen:
    - 80% of the time system hangs on cold startup (after 6-12 hours switched off).
    - 20% of the time system boots on cold startup (very unpredictable).
    - If system hangs, Blue loading bar passes roughly 6-8 times before stopping dead.
    - HDD stops loading and reboot is the only option.
    - The system can hang anywhere from 2 to 8 times upon cold boot before working.
    - Usually the system will continue to reboot and run fine once Windows has loaded.
    - Sometimes it boots fine without a hitch from cold.

* Computer can work fine for a day or two with absolutely no problems making it extremely hard to troubleshoot:
    - Booting into Safemode and Diagnostics mode with minimal drivers seemed to work.
    But due to the length of time in which the problem can stay dormant it proved
    Difficult to tell.
    - Attempted a fresh install of Windows 7 64bit on an empty HDD with nothing
    installed and problem still persisted [Indicating a possible hardware fault].

* Bootlogging the problem:
    - If system hangs, it hangs after loading the file "Mup.sys".
    - Google searches indicate that the file following "Mup.sys" is an AGP file.

* Troubleshooting GPU:
    - Removed current GPU, Galaxy Low Power Geforce 9600 GT 512mb.
    - Replaced with Galaxy Geforce GTS 250 1GB.
    - System worked flawlessly for more than a dozen reboots and half dozen cold boots.
    - Reinstalled original GPU, system still worked flawlessly for over a day and a half
    again with over a dozen reboots and half dozen cold boots. ???? *Scratches Head*
    - On the morning of the second day without issues the first 3 cold boots locked up.
    - Before the 4th reboot I swapped to the GTS 250 again and Windows booted fine.
    - I switched the PC off and swapped back to the 9600 GT, STILL WORKED FINE!
    - Hair starts to pile up at my feet!!!
    - 9600 GT is still installed and system is running fine still.

* Mobo Bios research:
    - In a last resort, I checked for possible Motherboard Bios updates. The latest bios
    available claims to fix "capture card display abnormal when install the PCI
    Express VGA".
    - Have yet to install the Bios because of the risk.

Could this fix possibly be the answer to all my frustration?!

The Computers Specs are below (do not confuse with my signature specs)

MOBO: Foxconn P45A-S Socket 775
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93Ghz
    MEM: 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5DHX (CL 5-5-5-18)
    GPU: Galaxy Low Power Geforce 9600 GT 512MB DDR3 256bit (Drivers Forceware 195.62)
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green SataII 500GB - WD5000AADS
    PSU: Cooler Master 460W M.No: RS0-460-PCAR-A3

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!!!

||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    \/ These are my specs not the computer in question.

Miracus, May 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Cold start OK, reboot hangs on splash screen - Similar Threads - Cold start reboot

2. Windows 10 Gets Stuck on Welcome Screen After Reboot or Cold Start Up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Gets Stuck on Welcome Screen After Reboot or Cold Start Up: Hello,A few weeks ago I started having an issue where after performing a cold start up or reboot my PC gets stuck on the "Welcome screen" after logging in. My computer is a home Media Server where the OS is installed on a m.2 drive. Aside from hosting the Media application...
  3. Windows 10 Gets Stuck on Welcome Screen After Reboot or Cold Start Up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Gets Stuck on Welcome Screen After Reboot or Cold Start Up: Hello,A few weeks ago I started having an issue where after performing a cold start up or reboot my PC gets stuck on the "Welcome screen" after logging in. My computer is a home Media Server where the OS is installed on a m.2 drive. Aside from hosting the Media application...
  4. Computer hangs on cold boot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer hangs on cold boot.: Fresh install of Windows 10. The system hangs on boot and just displays the Windows logo every single time! Nothing wrong in device manager and no errors of any kind displaying System specs are: AMD FX 6200 Asus M5A97 R 2.0 motherboard Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB (boot drive)...
  5. Start up / Logon /Splash screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Start up / Logon /Splash screen: A while ago the startup/logon/splash screen has been putting the monitor to sleep about 2-3 minutes after the machine is booted up. The sleep time with power on is set to turn the screen off after 20 minutes if the power is on and never put the computer to sleep. how do I...
  6. splash screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    splash screen: how can I use the splash screen as background 66324
  7. Hangs on bootup before splash screen, only when warm

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hangs on bootup before splash screen, only when warm: I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I thought with all the smart folks on this forum I might get some ideas. I have an odd issue. My laptop will not complete initial boot, but only when the laptop is warm, as in restarting, or after a shutdown/reboot. If...
  8. Ethernet link not connecting on cold start - fine on reboot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet link not connecting on cold start - fine on reboot: Since I upgraded to Windows 10 Home from Windows 7, I've noticed that from a cold boot - e.g. PC has been turned off for several hours, the Ethernet network icon has the red X through it and I dont get any internet/network access. It reports that the cable is unplugged. It...
  9. : ) Splash screen hang :)

in Windows 10 Support
    : ) Splash screen hang :): When a computer boots up , the first thing seen would be the splash screen and after which it goes to windows. Mine , however , hangs at the splash screen. What i have so far: A bootable flashdrive with windows 10 installation, 1 x 250GB samsung ssd and 1 x...
  10. White splash screen during start

in Windows 10 Support
    White splash screen during start: Hi folks, I have win 10 pro installed on my dell e6410. When I start my laptop I see very bright blank white splash screen for 2 seconds during the boot process. The sequence is as folows: 1- I press start button and it powers up 2- Windows 10 logo screen appears 3- Very...