Windows 10: Color shutdown options from start icon

Discus and support Color shutdown options from start icon in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Sometimes when in a rush i hit restart instead of shutdown. Is there a way to colorize " shutdown RED" ..sleep moon turns yellow . Restart can be some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Wasi, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Wasi Win User

Color shutdown options from start icon

Sometimes when in a rush i hit restart instead of shutdown.
    Is there a way to colorize " shutdown RED" ..sleep moon turns yellow .
    Restart can be some other color

:)

Wasi, Mar 6, 2020

2. Desktop Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate Icons

I discovered some time ago a simple means of adding two desktop icons to cover Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. I now use these icons all the time as it avoids using the Start procedure, which I never use at all unless I wish to Restart immediately after shutdown. Even then, I tend to use my desktop icons. Just close the browser, click the desktop icon and it is done.

On your desktop, right click the free space, then click new shortcut, you get a Wizard, copy/paste the command for the location type from one of the below commands (in this case, %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState ). Then click Next. You are asked to give it a title - Standby, Hibernate or Shutdown, I suggest using "Standby/Hibernate", click Finish.

Shutdown: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s
    Reboot: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r
    Logoff: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -l
    Standby: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
    Hibernate: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate
    I have listed Hibernate for reference only, as the Hibernate desktop icon does not work for systems reasons, Hibernate can only be achieved by manually using the Power Options properties panel.

Use CNTRL+C to copy and CNTRL+V to paste.

Hibernate is automatic if the Hibernate box is checked in the Power Options properties panel. If the box is not checked, then Standby is automatic. You have to select this box to give you the option you want.

Standby is more convenient if you are using the PC constantly, it is a quicker recovery, but has a power trickle. For long periods of absence, use Hibernate, it is much slower in recovering, but effectively shuts your computer down.

The Power options panel is found by Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate.

The two desktop icons created can be changed by Right clicking the icon then Properties>Change icon>Browse>Windows 32>shell32dll>select icon>OK>Apply>OK
    You now have two brand new icons on your desktop for Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. It works a treat.

My icons are :-

Color shutdown options from start icon Desktopicons-1.png

Bald Eagle, Mar 6, 2020
  3. d2thomas Win User
    Desktop Icon Color Change - Accessibility Option

Hello tenforums, I hope you can help.

A friend of mine who recently upgraded to Windows 10 is legally blind and is struggling with some accessibility options. Here is what we are struggling with: We need to change the font color of desktop icons to black. Certain contrasts are more visible for some impairments and in this case, a yellow background with black bold icon text is the best condition.

What I've tried:
    • Tried high contrast theme / mode
    • Tried to modify regedit based on a suggestion for 8.1 here.

Where I've looked:
    • Control Panel - System - Advanced System Settings - Advanced - Performance
    • Personalize - Change Desktop Icons
    • Personalize - Colors
    • Control Panel - Personalization
    • Display Settings
    • Themes - Theme Settings

I was able to get the text black when using the white high contrast mode, but that option won't work. While it does change the icon text to black, it also takes over many other options that deliver a less than desirable contrast for the user. We originally were thinking we could start with the high contrast theme, save as another theme and then systematically roll back the changes we didn't like, leaving the black text. Does not work - when in high contrast mode it effectively locks out your ability to make certain changes.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

d2thomas, Mar 6, 2020
  4. Color shutdown options from start icon

Changing the taskbar color to white in Windows 10

Hi Michael,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

In Windows 10 there is no option for changing the color to white but you can change it to different colors. To change the color of the task bar I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• In the search box, type settings.
    • Then select personalization.
    • Click on color option on the left side.
    • You will find an option called “show color on start, taskbar and start icon”.
    • You need to on the option and then you can change the color accordingly.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Mar 6, 2020
Thema:

Color shutdown options from start icon

1. Color shutdown options from start icon - Similar Threads - Color shutdown options

2. no color option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    no color option: 2 computers connected to network. On the printer Quality selection HP Pavillion has no color option while Lenovo does We need to be able to use color from the HPDon https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-color-option/450b1a7d-0156-4054-ac3c-21282c8a65d7
  3. no color option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no color option: 2 computers connected to network. On the printer Quality selection HP Pavillion has no color option while Lenovo does We need to be able to use color from the HPDon https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-color-option/450b1a7d-0156-4054-ac3c-21282c8a65d7
  4. no start icon color

in Windows 10 Customization
    no start icon color: My start icons all had the color blue and now they are not https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-start-icon-color/0c9d764e-27f1-4571-b56a-1503f186c51f
  5. Why are the icons of the start menu not colored??

Why are the icons of the start menu not colored??: Why are the icons of the start menu not colored??Even after selecting this ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-are-the-icons-of-the-start-menu-not-colored/e55262cd-239c-4623-935f-cdbc503e4bb3
  6. shutdown icon

shutdown icon: Can you create shutdown icon on laptop windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutdown-icon/7298692a-3687-4014-a1fe-655f042a73ad
  7. Color distortion, background, from start up, email, even the basic colors of icons.

Color distortion, background, from start up, email, even the basic colors of icons.: How to restore basic colors to everything as of yesterday, 10/27/2019? I thought a system restore would work, however, it didn't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/color-distortion-background-from-start-up-email/1935eeac-b4a8-44de-9e47-bd88dc3cce21
  8. Change color of icons on start menu?

Change color of icons on start menu?: I tried looking around and I'm not seeing a option, since the update some icons randomly changed color on their own but I don't see how to do it myself. 29755
  9. Desktop Icon Color Change - Accessibility Option

Desktop Icon Color Change - Accessibility Option: Hello tenforums, I hope you can help. A friend of mine who recently upgraded to Windows 10 is legally blind and is struggling with some accessibility options. Here is what we are struggling with: We need to change the font color of desktop icons to black. Certain contrasts...
  10. Removing Colored Tile Backgrounds from Start Menu Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing Colored Tile Backgrounds from Start Menu Icons: [img] I'm wondering if there's currently a way to remove the ugly as hell tile background from icons located in the Start Menu. In other words, I just want the ICON to show. I really like the Windows 10 start menu (especially after removing the entire tile-set to the...