Windows 10: COM exe does not get scheduled CPU Cycles for a very long time

Discus and support COM exe does not get scheduled CPU Cycles for a very long time in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; We have a COM exe, it has a logging mechanism which takes the timestamp from the stack and passes it to another app via pipe. This application is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SajalShrivastava1, Oct 9, 2020.

1. COM exe does not get scheduled CPU Cycles for a very long time

We have a COM exe, it has a logging mechanism which takes the timestamp from the stack and passes it to another app via pipe.

This application is quite old, but very stable and robust. almost 12 years in market. Visual Studio 2005.

Target' Win 7 and Win 10.

Both on Win 10 and Win 7, recently, what we have noticed is, during execution, this process does not get any CPU time for sometime, ranging from 3-4 seconds to even 4-5 minutes.

After this time process resumes normally/some threads get crashed after resumption.

Some thread not getting CPU is understandable, but we think that some how Windows is blocking this process's execution, without any popup/prompt.

all threads stop working like a hibernate session then resume as if nothing had happened.

Request support to understand the causes which may cause Process not getting scheduled for such a period of time.

:)

SajalShrivastava1, Oct 9, 2020

2. System and compressed memory eating CPU cycles

Hi Imakuni,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about CPU usage by System and compressed memory process. We will help you with this issue.

We appreciate your effort and time spent in resolving the issue.

I would like to inform that Ntoskrnl.exe
    is a critical process in the boot-up cycle of your computer.

This issue might have occurred due to malware infection/ outdated drivers/
    Runtime Broker. Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run a virus scan on your device and check if it helps.

Refer: Security & privacy
    (
    Run Windows Defender scan)

Note: Data or files which are infected by malware might be beyond cleaning and have to be deleted entirely to maintain the integrity of your system, which means there might be a potential for data loss.

Step 2: Turn off the "Show me tips about Windows"

Please do the below steps to do the same.

• Press Start button, click on Settings.
    • In the Settings, select the System>Notifications and actions> turn off the "Show me tips about Windows".
    • Restart the computer.

Step 3: Also, try to install the pending updates on your device.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 9, 2020
  3. Imakuni Win User
    System and compressed memory eating CPU cycles

• Did it, nothing found.
    • Already tried that before posting.
    • It's Windows 10, so it's pretty much always up to date. Regardless, I tried again, nothing new.
    It's funny how being idle lowers CPU consumption to a few %, while simply moving the mouse skyrockets the resource steal (and the faster you move, the more cycles it uses).

Imakuni, Oct 9, 2020
  4. Frick Win User

COM exe does not get scheduled CPU Cycles for a very long time

What's your upgrade cycle?

Step 1: sell everything, for reasons often ideological
    Step 2: live on malfunctioning hardware and light Linux distros
    Step 3: get something at least stable, pronably meaning old office SFF systems, dual core and 4GB RAM, Windows
    Step 4: Scavange a low power GPU, cram it in there
    Step 5: Slowly aquire parts on sale, making excuses ("it was so cheap", "it could be quieter", and so on)
    Step 6: Multimonitor, soon you have something that at least looks like a professional working space and at least decent performance, maybe even allowing you to play the latest games on decene settings
    One year after Step 1, go back to step 1.

Historically that is what my upgrade cycle has looked like.

Long term, if you have money and sense, you either regurarly go small, or you go really big, ie Intel Extreme Edition. At least in the past that made sense. The i7 990X (or Xeon equivalent) is still a beast of a CPU. This route is costly, but it will last for a long, long time.

Frick, Oct 9, 2020
Thema:

COM exe does not get scheduled CPU Cycles for a very long time

1. COM exe does not get scheduled CPU Cycles for a very long time - Similar Threads - COM exe does

2. Why does Windows 10 restarting for a very long time?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why does Windows 10 restarting for a very long time?: My Windows 10 pro has been restarting for more than 1 hour and even now it has not completed this process I clicked restart in the start menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-windows-10-restarting-for-a-very-long/346080ac-332f-4874-ac6a-e290706e23f0
  3. Why does Windows 10 restarting for a very long time?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows 10 restarting for a very long time?: My Windows 10 pro has been restarting for more than 1 hour and even now it has not completed this process I clicked restart in the start menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-windows-10-restarting-for-a-very-long/346080ac-332f-4874-ac6a-e290706e23f0
  4. Why does Windows 10 restarting for a very long time?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Very Long Boot Cycle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Very Long Boot Cycle: i have two systems, one running Win 10 64 bit, the other Win 10 32 bit. The 64 bit system boots quickly; the 32 bit system very slow. Both systems have SSD for Windows. On the 32 bit system after POST once the Windows boot window appears, the rotating busy icon turns for a...
  6. Messed Up Cpu Interrupt Cycle Times

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Messed Up Cpu Interrupt Cycle Times: Im trying to setup up interrupt affinity policy. I have a i59400f proccessor which has 6 cores so i have been told to set my gpu and usb to 2 and 4 in interrupt affinity policy. My average interrupt to proccess latency is good but my Cpu interrupt cycle times are all messed...
  7. Blue screen taking a very long time.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen taking a very long time.: Hello, I was installing an older version of avast when I got blue screened. Before that I had updated my windows version. Problem is, the blue screen won't go away. It's been about 20mins now. Is there anything I could do?...
  8. Stuck at resetting my com at 33% for a Long time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck at resetting my com at 33% for a Long time: Hi can anyone help me? Im resetting my laptop which is an Asus and my laptop is not even 1 year old yet. I went to reset it but until now its stuck at 33%. It had alr been like that for about 2 hours already. Can someone help me around here?...
  9. Very long time to restart!

in Windows 10 Support
    Very long time to restart!: Hi all, I'm having this issue since I upgraded to Win 10: when I click restart, my laptop becomes stuck on the restart screen for ages, even the hard drive doesn't show any signs of activity. Its only after like 15 mins or so the hard drive comes into life and the computer...
  10. Desktop PC's CPU Red Light keeps on blinking for a very long time.

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop PC's CPU Red Light keeps on blinking for a very long time.: When I start my Desktop PC with Windows 10 Pro, it's red light keeps on blinking for a very long time - say more than half hour. During this period I cannot use my PC as everything takes a very long time to load. Once the red light stops flashing continuously, my PC works...