Windows 10: COM Port emulation on USB Port

Discus and support COM Port emulation on USB Port in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am trying to hook a device to my computer so that I can program it. In order to do this I need a COM Port... Since NO COM Ports are created in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LanWizard, Jun 28, 2020.

1. LanWizard Win User

COM Port emulation on USB Port

I am trying to hook a device to my computer so that I can program it. In order to do this I need a COM Port... Since NO COM Ports

are created in Windows 10 how do I map a COM Port onto a USB Port... I have read a previous post and followed it to the letter...

However when I attempt to add a COM Port, The System says that I am missing a driver... I am now baffled... I have attached two

screen shots for your diagnoses...

COM Port emulation on USB Port 7f6c4c24-cfda-4f80-8966-5ce1d1e9b752?upload=true.png

COM Port emulation on USB Port a3fce258-e27b-47dc-a1f0-c0a03374d42d?upload=true.png

:)

LanWizard, Jun 28, 2020

2. How to identify Com Ports in Windows10

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern. However, serial bus controller in Device Manager contains USB devices and USB port numbers and it seems COM Ports devices might be hidden, so please follow the steps mentioned below and check if you can see the Com Ports.

1. Open Device Manager.
    2. Click on View in the menu bar and select
      Show hidden devices.
    3. Locate Ports (COM & LPT) in the list.
    4. Check for the com ports by expanding the same.

Hope it helps.

Manjunath_H, Jun 28, 2020
  3. Assigning a usb port to a specific Com port

Hi guys,

My modem have 2 usb port, and i only need to use 1 of it.

My problem now is my modem is using a cfast card, whenever i change a cfast card and i plug into the usb port, the com port will keep jumping numbers and i do not want that.

Am i able to set the specific usb port to a specific com port number for example like COM port 3 whenever a usb is plug into the usb port?

Or is there any other way i can do it?

DerrickYong, Jun 28, 2020
  4. COM Port emulation on USB Port

Com ports

Hi Robert

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Ports (COM & LPT).

Disconnect the device and see which communication port disappears.

Now, reconnect the device and make sure that the port re-appears under Ports (COM & LPT).

Right click on the port (Communication port (COM N) and select Properties.

Go to Port Settings tab.

Click on Advanced.

Click on the dropdown list next to COM Port Number and select the port you would like to assign to the device and click Ok.

Close the Properties window by clicking Ok.

Close Device Manager and see if it works.

I would also suggest to check if there is any option to choose a different port within the driver setup while installing it.

In case none of these methods works, I would suggest to get in touch with the device manufacturer and see if they have any updates/utilities to override this default behavior.

Andre for Directly, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

COM Port emulation on USB Port

1. COM Port emulation on USB Port - Similar Threads - COM Port emulation

2. COM port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM port: I am using window 10, I tried to communicate with arduino mega 2560 by grbl controller. its connected but not active some times its active. why it happened. I tried many times I thoiught the com port service is inturupted by itself?...
  3. COM ports

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM ports: Where are the COM ports on windows 11? Looked through device manager and couldnt find any. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/e9069c14-9696-4ac5-99df-a5a67079048a
  4. usb com port problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    usb com port problem: I am trying to use my win10 laptop to connect via USB to an Arduino UNO clone which has a CH340 chip. When I try to load the CH340 driver the installer reports "The drive is successfully pre-installed in advance". When the clone is connected to USB it should then show up in...
  5. com ports

in Windows 10 Customization
    com ports: How do I clear in use com ports in win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/13a6b2f9-f52d-467c-a680-4bfa363a639f
  6. USB COM Port Issues

USB COM Port Issues: On start-up, my only connected USB devices to my laptop are a mouse/keyboard and a hub. The laptop functions perfectly and Device Manager is fine. I have 2 additional USB devices that need to be connected: A: which is a Arduino UNO and B: which is a USB/TTL UART adapter....
  7. USB COM Port mess

USB COM Port mess: I had an Arduino UNO happily connected to my COM3 port via a USB hub. Last week, I needed to install a FTDI USB-UART adapter and had problems with its drivers. Eventually I got it going. Now here's the problem- whenever I plug in my Arduino, Windows thinks its the USB-UART...
  8. Com ports

Com ports: Whenever I try to use serial communation I get an error code #12. The message is I don't have enough room for the com port. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/2cc86c83-2c30-4ef6-b30b-32cbe6508edb
  9. Com Ports

Com Ports: I'm having a problem with com port #5. It gives me a yellow sign with a quote. Whats happening is when I try to make changes to To my Mitsubishi GX 2000 software program for PLC logic controllers it tells me I have a problem with my comm port. I don't think I'm using a comm...
  10. usb not assigning a com port

usb not assigning a com port: my usb device needs a com port how do i manually assign one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-not-assigning-a-com-port/462324da-54ea-4a9e-b158-97992c4f4ad2