Windows 10: COM Port Overflow

Discus and support COM Port Overflow in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I recently came into a curious issue where I apparently exhausted all available COM ports. Now, every time a new device is connected to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Chelsey Smith, Jan 15, 2020.

1. COM Port Overflow

Hi,

I recently came into a curious issue where I apparently exhausted all available COM ports. Now, every time a new device is connected to the machine, COM0 is used. I assume a Y2K like issue arose after it assigned COM4096 and began an overflow to COM0... which apparently does not/should not exist.

Using a utility, I was able to uninstall the phantom devices ranging from ~COM50 through COM4096. However, I was unable to remove the 100+ COM0's that exist as the utility throws an error.

COM Port Overflow 351f7317-25d7-4f5b-9fde-1a9ecbe29261?upload=true.png

I then tried manually uninstalling the devices in the Device Manager... it appears to work, but does not remove the device.

Changing the COM port from 0 to any valid number, also does not work. In fact, it crashes the Device Manager...

Anyone help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chelsey Smith

:)

Chelsey Smith, Jan 15, 2020
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

COM Port Overflow [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

COM Port Overflow [​IMG]

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

COM Port Overflow [​IMG]

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

COM Port Overflow [​IMG]

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Jan 15, 2020
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Port is being blocked

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

• Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?

Upon researching, this seems like an issue due to the port scan. You may want to try the steps listed below and check if it works.

• Login to your Netgear
      NX6200 Extender GUI
    • Click on Advanced tab and choose
      WAN Setup
    • Check the box for Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection.
    • Allow it to update and check if the port is still being blocked.

However, if the issue persists, I suggest you to post your query in the
    TechNet Forums, where we have support professionals
    equipped with knowledge on port forwarding.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jan 15, 2020
  4. Mishima_ Win User

COM Port Overflow

sihost.exe BUFFER OVERFLOW

I am having major issues with my sihost.exe process running on my local after upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 10. After examining the errors on my pc, I see sihost showing BUFFER OVERFLOW result when attempting to RegQueryValue on Cortana values. My
    start menu is unresponsive and things such as opening File Explorer are taking an incredibly long time. I haven't attempted a system restore from safe mode but this is my next step.

Example:

Operation: RegQueryValue

Result: BUFFER OVERFLOW

Path: HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.4.8.176_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy\ActivatableClassId\CortanaUI.AppXd4tad4d57t4wtdbnnmb8v2xtzym8c1n8.mca\Description

Mishima_, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

COM Port Overflow

1. COM Port Overflow - Similar Threads - COM Port Overflow

2. COM port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM port: I am using window 10, I tried to communicate with arduino mega 2560 by grbl controller. its connected but not active some times its active. why it happened. I tried many times I thoiught the com port service is inturupted by itself?...
  3. COM ports

in Windows 10 Gaming
    COM ports: Where are the COM ports on windows 11? Looked through device manager and couldnt find any. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/e9069c14-9696-4ac5-99df-a5a67079048a
  4. COM ports

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM ports: Where are the COM ports on windows 11? Looked through device manager and couldnt find any. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/e9069c14-9696-4ac5-99df-a5a67079048a
  5. com ports

in Windows 10 Customization
    com ports: How do I clear in use com ports in win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/13a6b2f9-f52d-467c-a680-4bfa363a639f
  6. COM ports

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    COM ports: Have 2 USB COM ports on my laptop. I use them to connect to and upload Arduino programming. Device manager started out identifying them as COM port 3 an4, now says 4 and 6, sometimes both as COM port 5. Any info appreciated....
  7. Com Port

Com Port: My Com 3 Port was working fine and I now plugged in a device and I see 2- Com 2 ports and 1- Com 2 port, none of which are connecting to my device? How can I reinstall the Com 3 port driver if I delete the current one can I still download it>...
  8. Com ports

Com ports: Whenever I try to use serial communation I get an error code #12. The message is I don't have enough room for the com port. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/2cc86c83-2c30-4ef6-b30b-32cbe6508edb
  9. Com Ports

Com Ports: I'm having a problem with com port #5. It gives me a yellow sign with a quote. Whats happening is when I try to make changes to To my Mitsubishi GX 2000 software program for PLC logic controllers it tells me I have a problem with my comm port. I don't think I'm using a comm...
  10. Com ports

in Windows 10 Customization
    Com ports: Where do I find the com port's that are assigned to a device that is connected with Bluetooth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/1ebde4c0-a50f-4066-aaf1-ef4c7399ebe7

Users found this page by searching for:

1. com port overflow