Windows 10: COM ports do not appear on Windows 10 Pro computer, even when showing hidden devices.

Discus and support COM ports do not appear on Windows 10 Pro computer, even when showing hidden devices. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an 8 port USB to RS232 Serial hub and I am remapping the automatically allocated COM ports to match the port numbers on the hub... I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by johnkat1, Jan 15, 2021.

1. johnkat1 Win User

COM ports do not appear on Windows 10 Pro computer, even when showing hidden devices.

I have an 8 port USB to RS232 Serial hub and I am remapping the automatically allocated COM ports to match the port numbers on the hub...

I have successfully remapped COM 1 - 4 but on trying to allocate COM 5 I see that it says "in use" COM 6 is the same

I have set the environment variable to devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices 1 as suggested in this thread:

https://theitbros.com/how-to-delete-com-ports-in-use/

... and I have changed the view to show hidden devices, but I can not identify what is using those ports.

COM ports do not appear on  Windows 10 Pro computer, even when showing hidden devices. 7c8c7a7a-03b5-4a23-825d-e42736c88e30?upload=true.png

I'm at a loss, can anyone offer any suggestions?

:)

johnkat1, Jan 15, 2021

2. port COM and LPT in the Devices Manager are not appearing

Hi Luis,

I suggest you follow the steps to check for hidden devices, and check if it helps.

1.Press Windows + X and click on Device Manager.

2.Click on View menu and select Show hidden devices. See if this helps in getting the ports to list.

3. Expand the Ports under device manager. Uninstall any entries which appear grayed out, then restart.

4. Right-click your computer name in Device Manager and click Scan for hardware changes. Device manager scans your system and automatically reinstalls your device.

If the issue persists, then I recommend you to install the latest drivers for your motherboard.

Do let us know the result.

Thank you.

Pratiksha Devadiga, Jan 15, 2021
  3. Borolad57 Win User
    USB Webcam showing as Hidden in Device Manager

Hi Likhitha V,

I’m not convinced this is a driver issue at all as the issue appears to be that something has decided to make the device hidden hence the other apps on the PC not being able to find it. However here are the steps I have just tried as outlined in your
    reply.

• The webcam I have is an eSecure webcam, this is connected to a USB port and I know that power is being supplied to the Camera as the lights on the camera can be turned on.

• Opened the Camera App (as supplied with Windows 10) and the “We can’t find your camera message” appears.

• Opened Device Manager

• Expanded Imaging devices. Used the menu option under View to Show Hidden Devices. USB2.0 Camera is then listed.

• Right clicked on the device and selected Uninstall. Message box asking me to confirm Uninstall appears and I select OK.

• Webcam is removed from Device Manager list.

• Removed Webcam from USB port.

• Restarted PC and opened Device Manager. As anticipated no Webcam under Imaging devices even when Hidden Devices is selected.

• Re-attached Webcam to USB port. Device is still not visible under Imaging Devices.

• Opened Camera App and the “We can’t find your camera message” still appears.

• Scanned for hardware changes in Device Manager and the Webcam is still not visible.

• Power still being supplied to Webcam as the lights still operate.
    So now I have a webcam attached to the system that I cannot see in Device Manager or use under any app.

When I ended up in a similar state to this before, by following similar steps (as described in other forums found by searching Google for this issue) I had to restore my PC back to a previous Restore point.
    To get the Webcam to be visible in Device manager again.

Regarding drivers, the manual supplied with the webcam states that the “eSecure Webcam does not require an installation driver CD. Simply plug in the USB wire to your computer and the drivers will automatically
    be installed”. As mentioned in my original post the Webcam worked when it was first attached but something, somewhere chose to make it invisible to the system.

The help on the error message mentions it may be blocked by Antivirus software. I have Windows Defender running and cannot see any setting that may be causing this blocking to happen but I'm not certain that
    I know enough to state that this categorically not the case.

Do you have any other ideas for me to try? Do I revert back to the restore point to at least get the PC to recognise the Device (albeit in a hidden state)?

Any further help would be appreciated.

Borolad57, Jan 15, 2021
  4. COM ports do not appear on Windows 10 Pro computer, even when showing hidden devices.

port COM and LPT in the Devices Manager are not appearing

Original message: Bluetooth and Port COM

How to found the port COM and LPT in the Devices Manager (showing hidden devices) using windows 10 in a ASUS cumputer model TP301UA?. Neither, these are not appearing using the prompt command. So, it is possible to pearing it with bluetooth devices but not
    connect it to receive GPS signal

LuisClavel Matzen, Jan 15, 2021
Thema:

COM ports do not appear on Windows 10 Pro computer, even when showing hidden devices.

1. COM ports do not appear on Windows 10 Pro computer, even when showing hidden devices. - Similar Threads - COM ports appear

2. Ports and com not showing up in Device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ports and com not showing up in Device manager: since the other thread on this was locked.... supposedly this happens after a Win 10 update--no idea which one--or if trueI had this happen. had a com port GPS go missing. Thought it went bad built-in GPS device, and even sent the laptop in for repairTurns out the device--...
  3. Ports and com not showing up in Device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ports and com not showing up in Device manager: since the other thread on this was locked.... supposedly this happens after a Win 10 update--no idea which one--or if trueI had this happen. had a com port GPS go missing. Thought it went bad built-in GPS device, and even sent the laptop in for repairTurns out the device--...
  4. Ports and com not showing up in Device manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Computer Icons appear when i show hidden icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer Icons appear when i show hidden icons: For some reason, sometimes computer icons appear when i open the hidden icons tab, it always shows at least one of it, but when i put my mouse on top of them they disappear, before appearing again later, sometimes a lot of them show up, covering my monitors...
  6. Realtek Audio Driver Not Appearing even after doing "Show hidden devices"

Realtek Audio Driver Not Appearing even after doing "Show hidden devices": So Here we go again I have A problem regarding the Stereo mix and it's been there since the start. So basically the Stereo mix is just not there and well it's not there I've tried show hidden devices and still, it's not coming as if it is not there at first I did not have...
  7. Ports and com not showing up in Device manager even after veiw show all devices

Ports and com not showing up in Device manager even after veiw show all devices: I need to set latency speed on a port USB but the ports and com under device manager isnt showing up.I googled every option but even after following all instructions they still dont show up. Brand new laptop with latest windows 10 instaleld and fully updated...
  8. Bluetooth Not Appearing in Device Manager Even in Hidden

Bluetooth Not Appearing in Device Manager Even in Hidden: Hi there, I can't seem to activate my Bluetooth on my Windows 10 PC Update 2004; Desktop Ryzen 3700x, ASRock B550i Phantom Gaming MoBo. I don't know what happened, but it suddenly isn't available anymore. Things I have tried: 1. Check if Hidden. It is not there....
  9. My device manager is not showing com ports and even it is not showing the device when...

My device manager is not showing com ports and even it is not showing the device when...: [IMG]one of your agent said the steps to add comp ports to disk manager i followed the same steps but the result is it is showing yellow triangle symbol at the com port. Please help me out my device manager is not showing the ports which are active. Thank you....
  10. COM ports not showing as available in Windows 10

COM ports not showing as available in Windows 10: I no longer have COM ports listed in my windows 10 OS. Does anyone know how to reactivate them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports-not-showing-as-available-in-windows-10/05182cc4-4c2b-43d3-94f9-95ab61c47213