Windows 10: COM Surrogate has stopped working error, No sound

Discus and support COM Surrogate has stopped working error, No sound in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Recently I started getting the pop-op error stating "COM Surrogate has stopped working". At the time I was running Windows 7 and had recently updated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ravenot, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Ravenot Win User

COM Surrogate has stopped working error, No sound

Recently I started getting the pop-op error stating "COM Surrogate has stopped working". At the time I was running Windows 7 and had recently updated my video drivers. I went ahead and updated to Windows 10, hoping that the update would fix the error, which it did not. Before the Windows upgrade, the COM error was intermittent, and I had sound. After the upgrade, I do not have sound, and the error is constant from startup. After clicking on "Close the program" another error box immediately pops up in it's place.

I have already tried the following solutions to no avail:
    • Updating video/audio drivers
    • Uninstalling video/audio drivers completely
    • Uninstalling all Codecs
    • Updating DivX
    • Nero is not installed
    • Adding dllhost.exe to DEP exception
    • Ran the System File Checker - no errors
    • Ran Check Disk - no errors
    • Scanned and removed all malware using LavaSoft Ad-Aware
    • Ran Windows Repair - no errors
    • Re-registering vbscript.dll and jscript.dll

I am out of ideas for solutions. Any and all help is appreciated.

Attachment 32869

:)

Ravenot, Aug 20, 2015
  2. SuperDon Win User

COM Surrogate error on start up

how to 'fix' the COM Surrogate has stopped working error message on start up

SuperDon, Aug 20, 2015
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Aug 20, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi Ravenot,

Welcome to the 10forums.

There are no dump files in the attached zip file.
    Please run the tool again and make sure there are dump files.
    If there are no dump files in the new created zip file, please check the following directory for dump files: [windows partition]\windows\minidump\

5. Ravenot Win User
    axe0,

Thank you for the reply. I am a little bit confused as to what specifically is missing for you. I checked the file on my desktop and it contains 19 txt files and a .nfo, identical to the uploaded file when i checked it. Rerunning the utility, the zip contained the same list of files. Is a specific one not generating that needs to? (like a dump.txt?).

I also checked the directory you indicated and found the \minidump\ folder does not exist within the windows folder.

Here is the latest zip the utility generated, with similar results as the first one. Not sure what else to do :\
    Attachment 33876

Ravenot, Aug 25, 2015
  6. axe0 New Member
    HI Ravenot,

What is missing are dump files that can be found in the automatically created (created when you have a bluescreen and the minidump is saved) minidump folder.
    Please read BSOD Minidump - configure to create in windows 10
    Without dump files we can't help you.

What we need is a zip file that contains (.dmp file at least 1)
    Attachment 33886

axe0, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. COM Surrogate has stopped working error, No sound - Similar Threads - COM Surrogate has

2. COM Surrogate has stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    COM Surrogate has stopped working: Hi Microsoft community services , when i refresh the desktop , or when i open the folder thet have large icons of photos or videos ... this window appear and say COM Surrogate has stopped working!Please help me ... because i tried some solution such as 1 – Add dllhost.exe to...
  3. COM Surrogate has stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM Surrogate has stopped working: Hi Microsoft community services , when i refresh the desktop , or when i open the folder thet have large icons of photos or videos ... this window appear and say COM Surrogate has stopped working!Please help me ... because i tried some solution such as 1 – Add dllhost.exe to...
  4. COM Surrogate has stopped working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. COM Surrogate

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    COM Surrogate: Gostaria de saber se isso é um virus ou um programa legivel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/com-surrogate/78136555-aabd-40e5-ae6e-d2acdf4ccdad
  6. Com Surrogate has stopped working in Windows Permanently

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Com Surrogate has stopped working in Windows Permanently: I have got this issue but I have tried to solve using this method - https://www.techweed.net/fix-com-surrogate-has-stopped-working/ But I'm unable to solve this . Please Help?...
  7. COM surrogate

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    COM surrogate: I logged on this morning and CMD automatically opened. I became concerned because nothing like this usually happens, so i opened task manager after researching reasons why this may occur and discovering that it may be caused by malware. i saw that a couple programs labelled...
  8. com surrogate has stopped working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    com surrogate has stopped working: When I am using my computer, it would randomly say "com surrogate has stopped working." I then just close it and it pops up again, close it and it goes away. I have no idea why. Here are the Windows Event Logs: Windows Log 1 - Pastebin.com Windows Log 2 - Pastebin.com...
  9. Com surrogate stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Com surrogate stopped working: Not having any issues with the pc but in reliability history I am seeing occasional ‘com surrogate has stopped working’ messages. It’s very sporadic. Sometimes many many days with nothing listed but then yesterday I saw it shortly after starting machine and then again today....
  10. COM Surrogate Stopped Working error

in Windows 10 Support
    COM Surrogate Stopped Working error: I am getting the odd COM Surrogate Stopped Working error and not sure where to start troubleshooting. Can someone point me in the right direction? Here are the error details: Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe Problem signature...