Windows 10: COM Surrogate high CPU usage due to Microsoft Edge browser

Discus and support COM Surrogate high CPU usage due to Microsoft Edge browser in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Encountered the high CPU usage issue with COM Surrogate but unlike previous solutions posted on here a few years ago and on other sites there's no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by boxenergy, Aug 26, 2019.

1. boxenergy Win User

COM Surrogate high CPU usage due to Microsoft Edge browser

Encountered the high CPU usage issue with COM Surrogate but unlike previous solutions posted on here a few years ago and on other sites there's no video file dllhost.exe seems to be constantly trying to access, when I look at dllhost.exe in Process Explorer under the file handles it just lists system files and the Edge cache, yet COM Surrogate consistently takes up 10-12% CPU until I manually terminate the process, so it seems there is another issue with COM Surrogate high CPU waste that does not involve Windows trying and failing repeatedly to cache a thumbnail for a troublesome video file. Even weirder is that when I open a folder in Explorer containing lots of video files COM Surrogate seems to do its job of caching thumbnails and then closes when it's done doing so. Yet when COM Surrogate decided to start running on its own in the background it keeps running and running and doesn't terminate at all, until forced to do so manually.

Update: I have now isolated this specific problem to Microsoft Edge, the anomalous CPU usage (12%) occurs when I start Edge and does not self-terminate unlike COM Surrogate's normal process when it's auto-started to cache thumbnails. Possibly dllhost is struggling with "C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_[profile]\AppData\User\Default\CacheStorage\CacheStorage.edb" or "C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_[profile]\AppData\User\Default\CacheStorage\CacheStorage.jfm" or "C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\CacheStorage\edb.log" if this Process Explorer method is indicative of the problem but this may be something else entirely, but it is related to Edge because the issue only arises when I start Edge and not when COM Surrogate starts by itself to cache thumbnails, in which case it self-terminates normally when done.

To be clear, ~11% may not seem troublesome but it definitely is when it is CONSTANT. Meaning it does not stop even when I close Edge and has to be manually terminated, I only started looking into this when I noticed my CPU fans running faster consistently for the past few days or week perhaps. I'm unaware if this anomalous behavior of COM Surrogate also occurs by itself (not triggered by starting Edge) but I will keep an eye out in the coming days.

I have run sfc /scannow (came up 100% no file corruption) and multiple full virus scans with F-Secure and Malwarebytes before posting. This seems like a new bug with Edge and COM Surrogate possibly.

COM Surrogate high CPU usage due to Microsoft Edge browser c053653d-3af7-4755-b1ae-18887a6ed9fb?upload=true.jpg

:)

boxenergy, Aug 26, 2019

2. High CPU usage Microsoft Edge on video Streaming

Hi Sibtain,

Let's try to isolate the cause of this issue with the high CPU usage in Edge. We suggest that you clear your browsing data. Clearing your browsing data will help improve the performance of Edge. To clear, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open Edge.
    • Click on the three dots icon on the upper-right part of the screen.
    • Click Settings.
    • Under Clear browsing data, click on Choose what to clear.
    • Click on Clear.

You can also visit this link with a similar concern as yours and check the solution
    provided by Josette Sal.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Robelene Win, Aug 26, 2019
  3. Stevens79 Win User
    High CPU and memory usage on Windows 10 with Microsoft Edge.

Wow, this reply really nailed it. For both Edge and Firefox, I monitored the CPU usage and picked a process with high CPU usage. I killed 1 process per app and the CPU went down to under an average of 10%.

One connection was Fox News (Firefox), but can't see which one was stopped in Edge.

Great suggestion!

Stevens79, Aug 26, 2019
  4. COM Surrogate high CPU usage due to Microsoft Edge browser

Cortana & COM Surrogate high CPU usage when Search or Start Menu is opened

Hi Ruth,

Thank you for suggesting these troubleshooting steps. Unfortunately, starting in a Clean Boot did not resolve the issue. I remember that there were some updates available prior to this issue (KB3156421 and KB3152599) and I didn't do any major changes to
    the system.

One thing that I forgot to mention in my first post, is that the high CPU usage also sometimes occurs with the "Host Process for Windows Tasks" process too. It mostly happens with COM Surrogate, but this process shows up sometimes too.

Thanks!

mrpenguin027, Aug 26, 2019
Thema:

COM Surrogate high CPU usage due to Microsoft Edge browser

1. COM Surrogate high CPU usage due to Microsoft Edge browser - Similar Threads - COM Surrogate high

2. COM Surrogate Too High CPU Usage Because of Windows Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM Surrogate Too High CPU Usage Because of Windows Search: I noticed my laptop fans become louder and I checked the task manager to find out the COM Surrogate taking 15.5+% of CPU usage. There is another problem as well, my pictures and video thumbnails are not showing, I already checked the show thumbnail instead of icons, I already...
  3. COM Surrogate Too High CPU Usage Because of Windows Search

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    COM Surrogate Too High CPU Usage Because of Windows Search: I noticed my laptop fans become louder and I checked the task manager to find out the COM Surrogate taking 15.5+% of CPU usage. There is another problem as well, my pictures and video thumbnails are not showing, I already checked the show thumbnail instead of icons, I already...
  4. COM Surrogate Too High CPU Usage Because of Windows Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 11 - Thumbnails not generating properly, COM Surrogate High CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Thumbnails not generating properly, COM Surrogate High CPU Usage: Hi All,All of a sudden, with nothing changed that I am aware of, any new photos/videos I am adding to the PC, the folders green status bar goes nearly all the way across but then doesn't actually generate the new thumbnails.If I go out of the folder, then back in, it will...
  6. Windows 11 - Thumbnails not generating properly, COM Surrogate High CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Thumbnails not generating properly, COM Surrogate High CPU Usage: Hi All,All of a sudden, with nothing changed that I am aware of, any new photos/videos I am adding to the PC, the folders green status bar goes nearly all the way across but then doesn't actually generate the new thumbnails.If I go out of the folder, then back in, it will...
  7. Incredibly high GPU usage in COM Surrogate

Incredibly high GPU usage in COM Surrogate: The COM Surrogate task in consuming insane amounts of GPU on computer startup. I can end it however then some of the settings stop working and when I delete it the settings menu no longer opens. It is in the System32 folder so I know it is a legitimate file, no idea what...
  8. COM surrogate 20% cpu and usage

COM surrogate 20% cpu and usage: [ATTACH]this happend after installing an app i unistalled it and restart but nothing happened scanned my files but no threats were found https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-surrogate-20-cpu-and-usage/a739637e-40ed-4e19-9347-88749f65fcf8
  9. COM Surrogate high CPU usage

COM Surrogate high CPU usage: Hello I saw many posts for COM surrogate using high CPU but never a case like mine. Whenever i click end task,it restarts the process but it keeps it low under 2% CPU Then every time i start Windows Media Player,both files go over 25-30% so i end up having COM and Windows...
  10. CPU. COM SURROGATE USING HIGH CPU

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    CPU. COM SURROGATE USING HIGH CPU: I AM RUNNING A DJ SOFTWARE PROGRAME CALLED VIRTUAL DJ, EVERYTHING SEEMS TO RUN SLOW OR STOP. LOOKIMG IN TASK MANAGER IT SHOWS HIGH USAGE OF COM SURROGATE, I CANNOT DISABLE THIS WHY. CAN ANYONE HELP ME [ATTACH]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to fix com Sorugate high cpu usage using sfc

2. com surrogate high cpu windows 2016

3. windows 10 com surrogate cpu in idle

4. com surrogate debugging ,
  5. edge high cpu