Windows 10: COM Surrogate when trying to copy files into protected areas like Program Files

Discus and support COM Surrogate when trying to copy files into protected areas like Program Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Recently, on my Windows 10, when I'm trying to copy files into a folder that requires admin prompt, like Program Files, nothing happens. This is linked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlexeiAndronov1, Feb 16, 2021.

1. COM Surrogate when trying to copy files into protected areas like Program Files

Recently, on my Windows 10, when I'm trying to copy files into a folder that requires admin prompt, like Program Files, nothing happens. This is linked to a COM Surrogate process.

If I launch task manager, I see a COM Surrogate process taking up about 10% processor time, and it runs indefinetly I wasn't patient enough to see how long it will run.

If I terminate it, another one pops.

If I terminate it again, the prompt to allow copying appears and everything completes as normal.

Usually, after I've gone through these 2 terminations, for some time I can copy files no problem, but then the problem will return.

:)

AlexeiAndronov1, Feb 16, 2021
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Feb 16, 2021
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Feb 16, 2021
  4. newtekie1 Win User

COM Surrogate when trying to copy files into protected areas like Program Files

Protecting files on a USB stick?

Even if you restrict access to read only, they can still copy the program. Read access is all copy needs.

My suggestion for simplicity is to create a small file on the drive and mark it hidden as well as marking it a system file, so even if they turn hidden files on the file won't show up. Put this file in a separate folder that is also marked as system, name the folder something random and windows important sounding. So even if they do find it, they won't know what it is and should ignore it. Then make the main program check for the file on execution and exit if the file isn't on the flash drive.

This should fool 90% of people unless they are pretty computer literate.

newtekie1, Feb 16, 2021
Thema:

COM Surrogate when trying to copy files into protected areas like Program Files

1. COM Surrogate when trying to copy files into protected areas like Program Files - Similar Threads - COM Surrogate trying

2. x265 video file For com surrogate

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    x265 video file For com surrogate: Hello all Accounts & community.I only use x265 video file, this problem occurs & It slows down the systemall files cannot be viewedIf the x265 file is not in the computer, everything is normalThank you for your time...
  3. x265 video file For com surrogate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    x265 video file For com surrogate: Hello all Accounts & community.I only use x265 video file, this problem occurs & It slows down the systemall files cannot be viewedIf the x265 file is not in the computer, everything is normalThank you for your time...
  4. x265 video file For com surrogate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM Surrogate: My english is not very good i hope you dont mind, anyways i have this problem where COM Surrogate is using about 90% of my GPU, I can close is however it appears again, and when i delete it it appears in C:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Roaming\ac2c2914-db85-ba9a-1a65-a8cafbdf3a8c, it...
  6. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    COM Surrogate: I have been receiving the following error quite frequently, especially when I run disk cleanup. "COM Surrogate has stopped working". I have Windows 8.1 Pro. Can anyone advise me what this error represents and if I should be concerned about it?...
  7. COM Surrogate

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    COM Surrogate: Gostaria de saber se isso é um virus ou um programa legivel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/com-surrogate/78136555-aabd-40e5-ae6e-d2acdf4ccdad
  8. COM surrogate

COM surrogate: I logged on this morning and CMD automatically opened. I became concerned because nothing like this usually happens, so i opened task manager after researching reasons why this may occur and discovering that it may be caused by malware. i saw that a couple programs labelled...
  9. Com Surrogate

Com Surrogate: Hi! This days my computer shows a window that I never saw before about COM Surrogate. It says Windows Security in the name bar above but I don't thrust. What it is? It's a virus?...
  10. File open in COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Support
    File open in COM Surrogate: I have no idea what COM Surrogate is, but, recently I've had a lot of trouble with it. I'll try to throw something in the trash, or even put the file in some other location and it won't let me. I get the following message (see screenshot) and the only way I can get rid of it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. com surrogate during copy