Windows 10: Combination of problems

Discus and support Combination of problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there. To start from the begining... Had an issue with PC few months ago, some really helpful guy,via other forum, told me my HDD is dying and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Zhejr, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Zhejr Win User

Combination of problems

Hi there. To start from the begining...
    Had an issue with PC few months ago, some really helpful guy,via other forum, told me my HDD is dying and it needs to be replaced. It can last 2 days or 2 years - was his words. I didnt change HDD and PC was working fine after a restart.

Now my PC started rebooting often, esp.in games. Thought it was overheating issue - was never cleaned. Temperature was around 90C for cpu. (Btw its Dell Inspiron 1750).
    Tried to clean it with bit of compressed air through that plastic grill in the bottom.
    Since then my usbs aint working - keyboard/mouse dont respond.
    After a while I also got 4 beeps on the startup, saw online its memory issue, so I reseated it.
    After reseating I tried to login again; got to the password part. Every time I touch trackpad I get bdos error. I wanted to reset windows again to keep the data, but it prompts me for a password and it doesnt offer onscreen keyboard. (Trackpad doesnt cause bdos in troubleshoot).
    Im running out of ideas :/

:)

Zhejr, Feb 5, 2017
  2. ng85---01 Win User

920 - Cyan - combination of problems?

Also check under settings-right swipe- back ground tasks to see which applications are active in the background. If there are a lot of apps it will defifnitely cause problems. For the reboot issue, as you mentioned, an update will be pushed.

ng85---01, Feb 5, 2017
  3. 920 - Cyan - combination of problems?

Hi. Been reading through the threads and I think I have a combination of problems.

1. Overheating. When the back of the phone gets hot, it either freezes (as in the case of Nokia Maps using GPS) or the screen goes dark and it seems inoperable. During this phase the phone is on and playing with it causes the occasional beep. Eventually
    and apparently when the phone cools off, the screen comes back on.

2. Rebooting. It happens when the phone comes back to life after scenario above and has happened without an overheated battery just a few times (which is still not really acceptable).

I turned off NFC and keep other things like wifi and bluetooth off as much as possible and that has helped. I also started having sync issues with my email (exchange account) when the phone won't connect. Power off does work. This also happened with my
    900. Will do a hard reset and see if that helps.

Finally, when I get a call, occasionally when I answer the screen immediately goes dark and won't come back on (so I can use speaker function). Very sporadic and does not appear to be related to overheating.

I called ATT and went into 3 stores (2 in LA, 1 in DC) but they all said there are no CYAN replacements available. Supposedly they noted these problems in my account and I can keep checking in (just what I wanted to do is to follow up when it seems like
    they should be following up with me).

I don't know if this is MS or Nokia and I know an update is going to be pushed out. But seriously, this is not cool. I love the phone and operating system designs but it HAS to work.

Groomerdude, Feb 5, 2017
  4. Combination of problems

Welcome to the TenForums @Zhejr

Interesting that touching trackpad kills machine. I'm going to suggest that blowing compressed air in has caused something to move into machine and may be causing a short. That or the compressed air managed to dislocate a cable. You are really fortunate as it takes two screws to remove hard drive which you can connect to another device and get your data. You can also run chkdsk on other machine against this drive.

Next I would take out memory again, before doing so make sure you are grounded, and check your reseating. Power on and enter BIOS and touch touchpad. If it crashes or shuts off do not power on again.

Post back and someone will suggest next steps.

Caledon Ken, Feb 5, 2017
  5. Zhejr Win User
    Hi Ken, thanks for the welcome.
    Yeah, removing hdd went smoothly. Given it is SATA drive I guess I could just hook it to a friend's desktop to backup my data.

Not sure about next steps tho...
    Return that old hdd in laptop and than do the reseating/BIOS thing you have said?

I suppose I can I do it other way around?
    Reseating -> BIOS -> if it crashes go and backup my data?
    Thanks

Zhejr, Feb 6, 2017
  6. Zhejr Win User
    By the way, few months ago HDD had like <1% of bad sectors.
    However this time I think HDD isnt causing all the issues, but memory, that USB issue and BDOS too.
    I got memory writing/reading fail msg once. It was before my attempt to clean it with air. USB issue came right after I cleaned it with air, and trackpad bdos came after my 20 reboots and attempts to fix usb.
    Even now with all that I could login to windows if only I had something to write my password with. But without usbs and trackpad I just cant do it

Zhejr, Feb 6, 2017
  7. Pull your drive, its two screws. Reseat your memory, one screw. Boot with no HDD. Test touchpad. By goal is to always protect data. Some I can't replace.

If things are happening electrically in device you don't need a blow off that corrupts drive.

If you think memory is suspect you could look at replacing. Memory is way cheaper than it use to be and you may even have an old device around that you can try borrowing from. Match type. Otherwise see if repair shop has some they could lend / sell just as a test. People are always upgrading. I keep old memory for emergencies like this.

Caledon Ken, Feb 6, 2017
  8. Zhejr Win User

Combination of problems

Did it without hdd, trackpad didn't cause any issues.
    Also I believe that even with hdd inserted trackpad doesn't cause issue in troubleshooting mode. But it causes bsod in normal and safe mode too.

Zhejr, Feb 6, 2017
  9. Zhejr Win User
    Thing is I can not use troubleshooting to do a windows reset.
    -usbs not working (for external keyboard I usually use)
    -some of laptop's keyboard buttons don't work and I need them to enter password to reset windows *Smile

I am thinking of selling the machine for like 200 euros, but I think all these small issues will make it's price lower. A friend advised me not to upgrade laptops like ever, but I disagree

Zhejr, Feb 6, 2017
  10. If you have access to another machine create a boot disk with memtest86.

MemTest86+ - Test RAM

Test your memory.

If you have access to another Win 10 machine create a media key and boot from it to perform trouble shooting. When it boots you have to get past first screen, then click repair in lower left corner.

This tutorial walks you through creating key.

Windows 10 - Clean Install

If you don't have access to 10 machine create ISO.

Caledon Ken, Feb 6, 2017
  11. Zhejr Win User
    Did data backup, scanned HDD, got report "some issues were found and fixed... you can now use your hardware" or something like that.
    Imma do the memory scan, burned whole UBCD to a CD, cuz I wasn't sure which memtest to DL for CD burning. Will tell you the results asap
    Thanks

Zhejr, Feb 8, 2017
  12. Zhejr Win User
    Any advise on burning ISO to DVD? I don't have enough space.
    All the tutorials are on how to create boot media/ ISO but on USB, which I can\t use I think

Zhejr, Feb 8, 2017
  13. Combination of problems

This will be a test of that too. Please create on USB and boot from it.

Caledon Ken, Feb 8, 2017
  14. Zhejr Win User
    Passed 9 runs on memtest. Took 25 hrs tho *chuckle

Zhejr, Feb 9, 2017
  15. Great. I assume you used touchpad, please confirm.

If you booted from USB ports they are good too.

If I understand items correctly we are down to a Windows error. (USB used successfully, no memory errors, device runs when booted to alternate OS.)

At this point I would take data of HDD and secure in known working device. Not sure if you have or can borrow anther laptop HDD but I would try. Install Windows clean, test drive. If okay I would head to store and get a new storage device, preferably SSD, and do a clean install.

Caledon Ken, Feb 9, 2017
Thema:

Combination of problems

1. Combination of problems - Similar Threads - Combination problems

2. How do I not combine the taskbar buttons but not display the labels?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I not combine the taskbar buttons but not display the labels?: I do not want to combine the icons on the taskbar but at the same time I need to hide the labels as they take up too much space. This was an available option in Windows 10 but for some reason, it seems like Windows 11 has taken a step backwards by removing options such as...
  3. How do I not combine the taskbar buttons but not display the labels?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I not combine the taskbar buttons but not display the labels?: I do not want to combine the icons on the taskbar but at the same time I need to hide the labels as they take up too much space. This was an available option in Windows 10 but for some reason, it seems like Windows 11 has taken a step backwards by removing options such as...
  4. Experiencing issues with Shift key combinations 'w', 'e', 'u', 'i', 'b' in Windows 11 while...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Experiencing issues with Shift key combinations 'w', 'e', 'u', 'i', 'b' in Windows 11 while...: When I attempt to press Shift along with any of the keys 'w', 'e', 'u', 'i', or 'b' while typing in a document using software like Word or Notepad, or when filling out forms in a web browser, these combinations do not seem to function correctly. I need assistance in resolving...
  5. Experiencing issues with Shift key combinations 'w', 'e', 'u', 'i', 'b' in Windows 11 while...

Experiencing issues with Shift key combinations 'w', 'e', 'u', 'i', 'b' in Windows 11 while...: When I attempt to press Shift along with any of the keys 'w', 'e', 'u', 'i', or 'b' while typing in a document using software like Word or Notepad, or when filling out forms in a web browser, these combinations do not seem to function correctly. I need assistance in resolving...
  6. Windows 11 Key Combination Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Key Combination Problem: In my laptop every key combination is working fine except Ctrl+Shift+N whether I am trying to create a new folder or use it to go to incognito mode in any browser, it is not working. There is no problem with keys itself as all individual keys are working fine.Please Help...
  7. Windows 11 Key Combination Problem

Windows 11 Key Combination Problem: In my laptop every key combination is working fine except Ctrl+Shift+N whether I am trying to create a new folder or use it to go to incognito mode in any browser, it is not working. There is no problem with keys itself as all individual keys are working fine.Please Help...
  8. Cannot type é using key combination ´+e (problem with diacritics)

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot type é using key combination ´+e (problem with diacritics): Hello there, I just found out that the dead keys on some of our computers do not work properly. Via osk the input does not work as well. I compared the settings with another one that is working just fine and tried it the same way. By typing + e I still get "e" instead of...
  9. Problem with Selected Keystroke Combinations

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem with Selected Keystroke Combinations: A few keystroke combinations that I use frequently come up on the screen in reverse: "ps" comes up "sp"; "an" comes up "na"; and "rev" comes up "ver." So far everything else is fine, but this is annoying. What can be done?...
  10. Combined problem - corupt profile + Chrome software reporter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Combined problem - corupt profile + Chrome software reporter: I have several user accounts and one of them is corrupt so I would need to remove it and create it again (I use more than one account). Also I need to reinstall Chrome. None of these things would be problem but this time they are. 1. The old account folder just cannot be...