Windows 10: Combine Taskbar items enabled; how do I control sorting of window names

Discus and support Combine Taskbar items enabled; how do I control sorting of window names in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; In Settings -> Home -> Taskbar, I enabled the "Combine taskbar items" checkbox. Does not matter if I use "When no room" or "Always", the list of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Rob-Bob Ceglinski, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Combine Taskbar items enabled; how do I control sorting of window names

In Settings -> Home -> Taskbar, I enabled the "Combine taskbar items" checkbox. Does not matter if I use "When no room" or "Always", the list of windows in the combined icon is random. I open windows in a particular order so they are easy to find, for example, I open 18 PuTTY windows, first 5 are storage machines, the other 13 are database machines. Each time I open the combined icon button, the order changes. I would like it to be sorted by when window was opened (behavior in Windows 7 and earlier), or at a minimum, alphabetical, so I can easily find the machine name I am looking for instead of reading each one every time.

:)

Rob-Bob Ceglinski, Jul 31, 2018
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

Problem with a combine taskbar icons.

Hello,

In Windows 10, you can personalize the settings of your taskbar. If there are multiple applications opened, same applications will be combined under one taskbar button. If you want to change this setting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Click on the Settings app.
    • Select Personalization.
    • At the left side of your window, click on Taskbar.
    • Under Combine taskbar buttons, choose Never.

Kindly update us with the results and if you have further queries, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Jul 31, 2018
  3. Problem with a combine taskbar icons.

Thanks for answering.

What you suggested is not the problem I asked for a solution.

For more understandable I've attached a figures below.

I'd like to have it in the right figure(showing the window of program not just a title)

Im sorry for my bad English, thanks in advance Combine Taskbar items enabled; how do I control sorting of window names :) Combine Taskbar items enabled; how do I control sorting of window names :)

Combine Taskbar items enabled; how do I control sorting of window names 85c775b5-dc76-4dce-bb54-4b49ef906a51.png

Dark Illusionist, Jul 31, 2018
  4. Hawky Win User

Combine Taskbar items enabled; how do I control sorting of window names

Enable Recent Items Jump Lists in Start but not on the taskbar?

Alright, so in Windows 10 there is the option in Settings under Personalization > Start called "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar". Enabling this turns on Recent Items on programs in the Start menu and on the right-click menu on programs on the task bar. I like having Jump Lists enabled on my Start menu, but I hate having them on the taskbar! When I right-click a program like Chrome or Premiere on the taskbar the Recents list is huge! It towers almost to the top of my 1080p screen and I hate it because I never click any of them!

So I was wondering if there is a registry/group policy edit anywhere that enables Recent Jump Lists on Start but not on the taskbar? I think it's stupid these options aren't separate in the first place!

Hawky, Jul 31, 2018
Thema:

Combine Taskbar items enabled; how do I control sorting of window names

1. Combine Taskbar items enabled; how do I control sorting of window names - Similar Threads - Combine Taskbar items

2. How do I not combine the taskbar buttons but not display the labels?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I not combine the taskbar buttons but not display the labels?: I do not want to combine the icons on the taskbar but at the same time I need to hide the labels as they take up too much space. This was an available option in Windows 10 but for some reason, it seems like Windows 11 has taken a step backwards by removing options such as...
  3. How can I enable the "never combine taskbar buttons" in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I enable the "never combine taskbar buttons" in Windows 11?: Hi all,How can I enable the "never combine taskbar buttons" in Windows 11? I don't think we have an option for this and this is number 1 thing that I don't like about the W11.I only found an extra app to do this, if you have any other ideas, please share.Thank you....
  4. How can I enable the "never combine taskbar buttons" in Windows 11?

How can I enable the "never combine taskbar buttons" in Windows 11?: Hi all,How can I enable the "never combine taskbar buttons" in Windows 11? I don't think we have an option for this and this is number 1 thing that I don't like about the W11.I only found an extra app to do this, if you have any other ideas, please share.Thank you....
  5. Never combine items in taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Never combine items in taskbar: Last year I upgraded from Win10 to Win11, but had to downgrade it due to the lack of the feature "Combine when taskbar is full", which allowed me to not group items in taskbar. Does Wins11 now have this feature? Or do I still need to install third-party software or make weird...
  6. Never combine items in taskbar

Never combine items in taskbar: Last year I upgraded from Win10 to Win11, but had to downgrade it due to the lack of the feature "Combine when taskbar is full", which allowed me to not group items in taskbar. Does Wins11 now have this feature? Or do I still need to install third-party software or make weird...
  7. How do I sort file name with Chinese pinyin?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I sort file name with Chinese pinyin?: I have collected some Chinese songs for my music playlist and organize by alphabetical order. In a way, I wanted the pinyin connect with alphabetical. For example, 1. ni 2. wo. However, I heard it is instead organize in unicode which mess up the pinyin. So is there a way to...
  8. Change Desktop icons from Sort by name to Sort by Item type

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Desktop icons from Sort by name to Sort by Item type: Can someone share with me the registry location of the Desktop icons Sort by? I need to change it in our Default profile. Somehow I changed it to Sort by name and it's should be sort by Item Type before I did a copy profile. If you need additional information, let me know....
  9. How do I combine Firefox into one icon on the Taskbar?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I combine Firefox into one icon on the Taskbar?: All icons are combined on the Taskbar --- except Firefox => there are two icons when it is running. How do I combine them into one icon? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-combine-firefox-into-one-icon-on-the/7f892fbc-5694-4f32-a63f-9650ab600fe3
  10. How Do I Add SORT BY Items to Every Subfolder in a Folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Do I Add SORT BY Items to Every Subfolder in a Folder?: Hello, I am using Windows 10 v.1803 (build 17134.345). I have a folder with 20 subfolders. In one of those folders, I've added two options to the Sort By context menu (Type, and Total File Size). Is it possible to add those two options to all of those 20 subfolders at once,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. combine task bar items is disabled