Windows 10: combining ethernet and wifi

Discus and support combining ethernet and wifi in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a Gigabit ethernet connection and an AX (wifi6) card installed on my desktop. Can I combine them to make an even faster connection? My router... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Jamesmac70, Aug 13, 2020.

1. combining ethernet and wifi

I have a Gigabit ethernet connection and an AX (wifi6) card installed on my desktop. Can I combine them to make an even faster connection?

My router does have 3 guest networks, each with both 2.4 and 5ghz so I can assign them different names.

I am also connected to 1.5Gb/sec fibe, so I can still gain some bandwidth over what the ethernet provides, hoping I can use the wifi to get some of that speed (and not put the wireless card to waste).

submitted by /u/Jamesmac70
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Jamesmac70, Aug 13, 2020
  2. revdrw Win User

WIFI Works, Ethernet won't

OK but why?

NOT YELLING, JUST EMPHASIZING

Please note, I installed the new Lynksis, it worked just fine for 3-4 days on both my MACBOOK PRO when in ethernet connect and the Dell, then the ethernet just quit working for both my MacBook Pro and Dell desktop. It did work, then just quit for no apparent reason. WIFi for iPhone, iPad, Andriod Phone, and when I set to wifi for my MacBook pro all work fine.

Detailed history: I first noticed that on my Desktop dell that is CAT5 ethernet connected to the WIFI ROuter, that it stopped, no internet access. I began to trouble shoot, and turned off my WIFI on my MAcbook and it wouldnt work either, plugged into same router but different cat5 cable. At that time, all WIFI devices still worked. I figured that it must be the ethernet side of the WIFI router, so I replaced the router with brand new one. the Lynksys N900 listed in original thread. Ethernet and everything worked just fine for 3-4 days. But then ethernet quit, but wifi still works.

Whatever the problem, it affects both my MacBook Pro and Dell with WIN 7. I'm guessing it is NOT a computer problem, if it is it is affecting both my Mac and Dell, separate cat 5 cables to same wifi router

To remixedcat, I don't know for sure how to check IP settings, see above post, no damage apparent to anything.

revdrw, Sep 5, 2020
  3. laptop can't find wifi but connects with ethernet cable

Please try these troubleshooting steps that may help.

1. Make sure the router SSID broadcast is on.
    2. Change the wifi channel to see if it resolves the problem.
    3. Enter the SSID and WPA2 password manually and see if the laptop connects.
    4. Temporarily turn off the encryption.
    5. We go into device manager & check updates for wifi drivers, we may need to simply update the driver.
    6. We go to Settings - Network & Internet - Status - Change Adapter Options, then right-clicked 'Ethernet' and disabled it. We do the same with wifi. Then we (with Ethernet still disabled) enabled wifi. It should re-connect to your wifi after a while.
    7. We have to disconnect our Ethernet cable from our laptop and follow the steps:
      Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Manage Wireless Networks and remove all wireless connections by right click on it and select Remove network from the drop down menu. After doing this, close the windows and scan for the wifi networks.
      Click on the available network and select connect. After a while, we will be asked to give a password for our wifi connection. Type the password and click on connect button. And now will be connected to our wifi network via wireless.
    8. First is to disconnect the internet cable from the laptop then uninstall/reinstall the wifi adapter.
      Go to Device Manager and uninstall the wifi adapter.
      Once uninstalled, reboot the laptop and it should reinstall the driver automatically.
      After the reboot do try connecting to your wireless network again.
      If all these will not work, do also make sure that the wireless adapter is enabled. Depending the model of your laptop there should be key combinations on how to enable/disable it.

Daisy Zhou, Sep 5, 2020
  4. JLPATL Win User

combining ethernet and wifi

Can't connect wifi or ethernet

So I cant get WiFi or Ethernet to work on either of my two computers with the new Windows 10 Update. I read and try to follow the recommendations (using a work computer) about the steps to take. I love that the final step if the first suggestions didn't
    work, is to make sure you've downloaded the correct drivers. Could the engineers be more specific as to how you download drivers when you can't get on the internet.

Thanks.

JLPATL, Sep 5, 2020
Thema:

combining ethernet and wifi

1. combining ethernet and wifi - Similar Threads - combining ethernet wifi

2. No ethernet or wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No ethernet or wifi: Trying to install windows 11 pro on a new build, it has a Z790 AORUS ELITE X WIFI7 motherboard. Windows cannot see the ethernet or the wifi. I think I have installed the corrct drivers but still no luck....
  3. No ethernet or wifi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No ethernet or wifi: Trying to install windows 11 pro on a new build, it has a Z790 AORUS ELITE X WIFI7 motherboard. Windows cannot see the ethernet or the wifi. I think I have installed the corrct drivers but still no luck....
  4. WiFi and Ethernet Combined On System

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi and Ethernet Combined On System: My PC, like most others, has the ability to connect to the net via the wireless or ethernet route. Thinking I knew enough about network connections already, I was proved wrong. It all happened during a speed test of my wireless network. I always noticed that whenever I...
  5. WiFi and Ethernet Combined On System

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WiFi and Ethernet Combined On System: My PC, like most others, has the ability to connect to the net via the wireless or ethernet route. Thinking I knew enough about network connections already, I was proved wrong. It all happened during a speed test of my wireless network. I always noticed that whenever I...
  6. WiFi and Ethernet Combined On System

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Wifi and Ethernet

Wifi and Ethernet: How do I remove this ethernet icon from the wifi section? It is really annoying. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-and-ethernet/b908fe79-6dc9-45a0-89eb-d65238dc5219
  8. Ethernet and WiFi

Ethernet and WiFi: Having a new Asus ROG Rampage Extreme Encore I can connect Ethernet and WiFi simultaneously but I have to reconnect WiFi after I reboot How can I have them both connect when rebooting so I don't have to "remember" to reconnect : I do not want to bridge networks...
  9. Combine 4G with WiFi?

Combine 4G with WiFi?: is it possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/combine-4g-with-wifi/38d63076-9ca7-45ca-8a47-0b71addd081f
  10. wifi and ethernet

wifi and ethernet: my internet wifi router has builtin lan ports if i connect to it using both wifi and Ethernet cable will my download speed double another hypothetical question what if i has two wfi connections to internet and i connect to it using laptop builtin wife to one wifi network...