Windows 10: Combining Similar Hard Drives to Double the Size. Is it ok?

Discus and support Combining Similar Hard Drives to Double the Size. Is it ok? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, Everyone!I've got a quick question. I read that when you combine two drives in RAID 0 in order to double the size of the drive, the drives have to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CerebralFreeze, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Combining Similar Hard Drives to Double the Size. Is it ok?

Hi, Everyone!I've got a quick question. I read that when you combine two drives in RAID 0 in order to double the size of the drive, the drives have to be "exactly" the same. I wanted to know what "exactly" was defined exactly. (Nice pun, no?) Anyway, I couldn't find an exact meaning. (Ha, I did it again!)I am currently using a Samsung Pro SSD, 512 gig and I am almost all the way full. I was lucky enough to be given a Samsung Evo Plus, 500 gig. Can I use the Samsung Evo Plus and combine it with the Samsung Pro to achieve a 1 TB SSD?Or, are the two models too different?

Would anyone know an exact answer? *Smile

:)

CerebralFreeze, Jun 10, 2020

2. How to Partiton a Hard Drive in Vista

This is a way to get Vista to see another hard drive that is not associated with the OS. There is some times when your new hdd doesn't seem to want to work well with Vista. But, there is a solution in it.

Open the Computer Management By doing these steps.
    • Click on the Start Button
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Click Administrative Tools
    • Double click on Computer Management
    You are now in the Navigation panel of the Computer Management.
    When in Computer Management, you then have to allow the new drive to be recognized.
    • Double click on Storage
    • Double click on Disk Management
    Now in the middle of your screen there is the layout of the Disk Drives that you have. The drives that are partitioned will show by the drive lettering. The others will just show up as having nothing at all in them. Below that there will be the Disk drives that are installed into the computer. You'll see that the primary one will all ways read as "Disk 0". Then you will have Disk 1 and so on. Under the Disks there will also see your CD-Rom drives.. If there is more then one, it will be labeled the same as Disk drives..

On to the Partitioning of the drive in question.
    • Right Click on the drive
    • Click to format the drive or Enable Volume. There will be a series of windows that open up. This is Vista's formatting. Just go threw the windows, and make sure everything is the way you want it to happen.
    • Once the formatting is done, will take some time depending on the drive size.
    • Right click on the drive
    • Click on Mark the Partition as Active
    After you have done those steps, The drive will be up and running threw Vista.

:Side Notes:
    If you are not the Administer to the Os, then you will have to enable it..
    You may also want to redo the drive lettering of it all. But, I really don't see a reason to do so. If you do, you have to redo drive paths and so forth.. A lot of work on something so small...

Cold Storm, Jun 10, 2020
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    USB Hard drive in dock

Hi Rich,

The error "Device was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match" happens if Windows detects an incompatible driver for your device. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have
    a few questions for you:

• Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.
    • Did you make any changes to your computer before this happened, or is this the first time you connected this hard drive to your computer?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As an initial recommendation, we suggest rolling back or updating the driver for your hard drive by following these steps:

• Right-click the Start button.
    • Click Device Manager.
    • Find your hard drive under Disk drives.
    • Double-click your hard drive to open the Properties window.
    • Go to the Driver tab.
    • Click Roll back driver if it's available.
    • Click OK.
    • If rolling back the driver isn't an option, download the newest driver from the hard drive's manufacturer's website and install it.
    • If the issue still persists, click Uninstall.
    • Click OK.
    • Restart your computer so that Windows can automatically reinstall the hard drive driver.

We'll wait for your response and the results of the initial troubleshooting.

Yolvi Ell, Jun 10, 2020
  4. Combining Similar Hard Drives to Double the Size. Is it ok?

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Jun 10, 2020
Thema:

Combining Similar Hard Drives to Double the Size. Is it ok?

1. Combining Similar Hard Drives to Double the Size. Is it ok? - Similar Threads - Combining Similar Hard

2. How to combine hard drives of different sizes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to combine hard drives of different sizes?: HiI have a myriad of hard drives accumulated over the years, of sizes: 2 of 1TB, 1 of 2TB, 2 of 4TB.The optimal setup would be using 3 drives of 4TB in RAID5, using a spanned drive of the 1TB and 2TB drives.Is that possible somehow?I'm using build 23493 of windows 11...
  3. How to combine hard drives of different sizes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to combine hard drives of different sizes?: HiI have a myriad of hard drives accumulated over the years, of sizes: 2 of 1TB, 1 of 2TB, 2 of 4TB.The optimal setup would be using 3 drives of 4TB in RAID5, using a spanned drive of the 1TB and 2TB drives.Is that possible somehow?I'm using build 23493 of windows 11...
  4. combining all of my Hard Drive backups into one

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    combining all of my Hard Drive backups into one: I have been copying and saving my hard drive data for many years from different computers all window machines about 30 major hard drive backups. What I would like to do is combine all of these into one folder without copies of identical files so that I can find all of the...
  5. combining all of my Hard Drive backups into one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    combining all of my Hard Drive backups into one: I have been copying and saving my hard drive data for many years from different computers all window machines about 30 major hard drive backups. What I would like to do is combine all of these into one folder without copies of identical files so that I can find all of the...
  6. combining all of my Hard Drive backups into one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Finding similar folders in different directories and combining them?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Finding similar folders in different directories and combining them?: I want to know if anyone has had any luck in finding similar folders in different directories in a network drive and combining the folder's contents into one folder. I was thinking I should approach this with either Powershell or Python but not necessarily sure where to...
  8. NAS Hard Drive Sizes

NAS Hard Drive Sizes: I have a 6 Tb NAS and it has two 3 Tb drives in it. If I wanted too, could I exchange them for larger capacity drives such as 2 10 Tb drives or or the NAS fixed to being able to address 3 Tb drives? 144993
  9. Combine Hard Drive Partitions

Combine Hard Drive Partitions: I am trying to combine my C: with D:. There are 3 other partitions on the drive and I'm not sure which partitions it is safe to delete or combine. 1st Partition: 1.36 GB Healthy (Recovery Partition) 2nd Partition: 518 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition) 3rd Partition:...
  10. Double entres of external hard drives.

Double entres of external hard drives.: In the navigation pane, 2 entries for external Hd's H & J are shown. How to turn off the bottom 2 entries for the Hd's H & J & Network & Homegroup. I'm the only user for this computer & only need 1 entry for H & J Hd to show. When working with files on either Hd there are 2...