Windows 10: Combinte backup and restore system images

Discus and support Combinte backup and restore system images in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been testing different backup programs, and periodically I manually created a system image using backup and restore. However, I did not always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by snowshed, Nov 22, 2020.

1. snowshed Win User

Combinte backup and restore system images

I have been testing different backup programs, and periodically I manually created a system image using backup and restore.

However, I did not always use the same external drive for these images. As a result, I have a WindowsImageBackup folder on two different drives.

Is there a way I can combine these two folders into one, on the preferred drive?

:)

snowshed, Nov 22, 2020
  2. Clark Ari Win User

Restore a System Image Backup

Hi Kirk,

One of the possible reasons why this issue occurs is when the System Image Backup that you'd like to restore is corrupted. We would like to know more about the issue so we can assist you better. Please answer the following questions:

• How did you create your system image backup?
    • Can you provide us the screenshot of the exact error message?
    • Is your USB device readable to other PCs?
    • What are the contents of the USB device? Can you provide us the screenshot of it?

We're looking forward to your response.

Clark Ari, Nov 22, 2020
  3. Try3 Win User
    How to restore system image backup

Ryan,

To restore from a system image by booting with an installation disk or System repair disk -

1. [Boot from the disk]
    2. Select language, formats & keyboard,
    3. Select Repair your computer,
    4. Troubleshoot,
    5. Advanced options, [and see note ***]
    6. System image recovery,
    7. Accept the latest image identified by the system or, if you have multiple images saved on your backup drive, use Select a image to chose the one you want.
    8. The rest is entirely menu driven. Whilst there are some options that can be chosen, the defaults are normally off for all these and should be accepted.

I am not familiar with use of a Windows 10 "Recovery drive" but I would expect only the opening steps to be any different. Everything after selecting System image recovery would, I expect, be the same.

If you get any untoward events such as warnings about formatting drives, please take a photo of the screen and post it here.

If, when booting from an installation disk etc, you are interrupted by this dialog, just select No. The only time I have seen this dialog was when I was restoring a system image straight after having installed a new Windows 10 version.

Combinte backup and restore system images [​IMG]

*** Do be aware that your normal drive letter assignments do not [temporarily] apply when booting from an installation disk etc or using the onboard restore facility ["WRE"] so from the Advanced options you can select Command prompt then use Dir C: then Dir D: and so on commands to look at each drive in turn to figure out what each one is temporarily called [ignore the X drive, it is a virtual drive controlling the computer during this procedure]. When you have finished, type Exit to close the Command prompt and it will take you back to the Choose an option screen where you can select Troubleshoot, my step 4 above.

Denis

4. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Combinte backup and restore system images [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Combinte backup and restore system images - Similar Threads - Combinte backup restore

2. Restore complete system image backup on laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore complete system image backup on laptop: When I try to recover my data from a system image backup I made from an external hard drive in Windows Recovery, it says I need to create a disk. However, the issue is that I am doing this on a laptop that doesn't have a CD/DVD-ROM drive. Aside from purchasing a portable one,...
  3. Restore complete system image backup on laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore complete system image backup on laptop: When I try to recover my data from a system image backup I made from an external hard drive in Windows Recovery, it says I need to create a disk. However, the issue is that I am doing this on a laptop that doesn't have a CD/DVD-ROM drive. Aside from purchasing a portable one,...
  4. Unable To Do A System Image Backup Using Windows Backup Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable To Do A System Image Backup Using Windows Backup Restore: As shown below it says I have plenty of room on Local Disk E: to save a back up to. 396gb free.After I start it shows an error shown below saying there is not enough disk space. Why?...
  5. Unable To Do A System Image Backup Using Windows Backup Restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable To Do A System Image Backup Using Windows Backup Restore: As shown below it says I have plenty of room on Local Disk E: to save a back up to. 396gb free.After I start it shows an error shown below saying there is not enough disk space. Why?...
  6. backup and restore system image fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup and restore system image fails: I am having a problem with backup and restore not completing a system image backup. I've researched this problem in this forum and have not found an answer that works. I have an Acer machine running windows 10 Home. It has a 1 TB internal hard drive and a 1TB external hard...
  7. Restoring from system image backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring from system image backup: submitted by /u/SgtJackVisback [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lk0h04/restoring_from_system_image_backup/
  8. Backup and Restore - Exclude drive from system image backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and Restore - Exclude drive from system image backup: Hello, I have a quick question about "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" feature on Windows 10. I set up a backup months ago to include a system image and some personal data and everything worked fine. I notice this backup feature tried to backup my game dedicated drive...
  9. How to restore system image backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to restore system image backup: Hi guys, i made a system image backup of the window 10 running on my toshiba laptop via control panel on a external harddrive. And i am trying to restore it by going to window recovery, then system image recovery in advanced options. But the problem i am facing it that when i...
  10. System Image or Backup and Restore Files in Win10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image or Backup and Restore Files in Win10: Hi, A few days ago I discovered I had some corruptive files preventing me from Updating successfully. So, after much hair-pulling I did a Windows 10 reinstall via a USB Flash Drive while Windows was running and it was successful thanks to some talented folks on this forum....