Windows 10: Comma key and F4 key slowly stopped working on Alienware 17 R5

Discus and support Comma key and F4 key slowly stopped working on Alienware 17 R5 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I'm having a pretty strange issue with my comma and F4 keys that has been going on for awhile, and I'm finally deciding to take action. Awhile... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by EverydayAden, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Comma key and F4 key slowly stopped working on Alienware 17 R5

Hi, I'm having a pretty strange issue with my comma and F4 keys that has been going on for awhile, and I'm finally deciding to take action.

Awhile back, I realized that the comma key on my keyboard was slowly starting to grow more and more unresponsive. It seemed to take a few presses before the key would begin functioning, and then it would work just fine again after. This began escalating to taking several presses over time and now it can take up to hundreds. Eventually the key will work, and after it "wakes" back up again, it will continue to function perfectly fine for awhile, and then it will take another few hundred presses for it to work properly again.

It was soon after this that I realized that my F4 also stopped working. After trying doing a quick experiment and trying to get my comma key to "wake up" again, I realized that my F4 key also started working again too, so both must be tied together in some way, and now I'm almost completely sure that this isn't a hardware issue.

Is there any way to fix this? It's been bothering me for quite awhile. If it helps, I will include some basic system information below.
    Operating system: Windows 10 Home x64
    Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce 1060
    CPU: Intel i7 8th Gen
    Laptop model: Alienware 17 R5

:)

EverydayAden, Dec 2, 2020

2. Comma key is not working

The problem is that the "comma" key doesn't work. When I push the button, nothing happens. I can use the "<" symbol on the same button by pressing it with the shift, but nothing happens when I push the comma by itself.

I tried On-Screen Keyboard, and the comma key was not working there either.

I have been copy-pasting commas into were I need them.

NOTICE: I have found the solution to this problem, and that's why I am making this thread for others to benefit as well.

SOLUTION:

the problem seemed to be with NVIDIA. And turned out to have a very simple solution. You do not have to uninstall anything.

you only have to

1. Open NVIDIA GeForce Experience
    2. Go into the overlay settings
    3. Keyboard shortcuts
    4. By default, the comma key is assigned to something in there. (for me it was muting the mic)
    5. Change that key to something else or unassign it (none) by pressing backspace.
    the problem should be fixed

Potato Slayer, Dec 2, 2020
  3. Can cot type "comma" but "<" key is working (shift + comma)

Like I said: "Can cot type "comma" but "<" key is working (shift + comma). Even on On-Screen Keyboard I'm not able to type "comma""

Shift key + comma key = < which I can type anytime I like. Without holding down shift key and pressing the same key does not give any result. I repeat myself even on On-Screen Keyboard the result is the same

GiorgiGhurtskaia, Dec 2, 2020
  4. Comma key and F4 key slowly stopped working on Alienware 17 R5

Can cot type "comma" but "<" key is working (shift + comma)

Can cot type "comma" but "<" key is working (shift + comma). Even on On-Screen Keyboard I'm not able to type "comma"

Any advice?

GiorgiGhurtskaia, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

Comma key and F4 key slowly stopped working on Alienware 17 R5

1. Comma key and F4 key slowly stopped working on Alienware 17 R5 - Similar Threads - Comma key key

2. alienware 17 R5 problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    alienware 17 R5 problems: I reinstalled windows 11 on my alienware 17 R5 gaming laptop. It has a NVidia 1070 video card has a main graphic card and a intel HD 650 video card thats not used. My problem is when my computer monitor goes out from not using it for awhile it won't come back on when i wiggle...
  3. alienware 17 R5 problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    alienware 17 R5 problems: I reinstalled windows 11 on my alienware 17 R5 gaming laptop. It has a NVidia 1070 video card has a main graphic card and a intel HD 650 video card thats not used. My problem is when my computer monitor goes out from not using it for awhile it won't come back on when i wiggle...
  4. Alienware 17 R5 experiences daily BSOD: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alienware 17 R5 experiences daily BSOD: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED: This computer was purchased 5 years ago and within the first year it began experiencing BSOD errors which occured perhaps once every 2 months.Two years into owning the computer and BSOD errors continued to happen more often to the point where, as soon as windows booted up,...
  5. F4 key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    F4 key not working: So basically i boot up my laptop and the f4 key does not work,i cant use alt f4 nor i can use fn-f4 but im able to use alt-fn-f4 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/f4-key-not-working/4ffa01b3-5dc6-471f-bb67-0b3c3725c5bf
  6. F4 key not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    F4 key not working: So basically i boot up my laptop and the f4 key does not work,i cant use alt f4 nor i can use fn-f4 but im able to use alt-fn-f4 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/f4-key-not-working/4ffa01b3-5dc6-471f-bb67-0b3c3725c5bf
  7. Alienware 17 R5 Crash While Gaming

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Alienware 17 R5 Crash While Gaming: Hello everyone, I am writing this post because I have a problem with my computer that no matter how hard I try I have not been able to fix it. I even brought it to computer repair center and the computer still has the same problem, although it got fixed for a few days....
  8. Comma key is not working

Comma key is not working: The problem is that the "comma" key doesn't work. When I push the button, nothing happens. I can use the "<" symbol on the same button by pressing it with the shift, but nothing happens when I push the comma by itself. I tried On-Screen Keyboard, and the comma key was not...
  9. Thunderbolt display & Alienware 17 r5

Thunderbolt display & Alienware 17 r5: I am having an issue where I am trying to connect a thunderbolt display and when connected it gives me a promt to connect or do not connect. I select connect, but it is not connecting. the display only shows up in attached devices saying its not connected....
  10. touchpad alienware R5 17" autoscrolling nonstop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    touchpad alienware R5 17" autoscrolling nonstop: I have a Dell Alienware 17" R5 laptop. I'm trying to disable the autoscroll feature on the touchpad. It's especially annoying in chrome or in adobe pdfs. I've tried all the settings in Alienware "pointing" devices to no avail as well as disabling, uninstalling and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. f4 comma delete not working