Windows 10: Command Prompt gives a blank black screen unless I use legacy console

Discus and support Command Prompt gives a blank black screen unless I use legacy console in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So one day, I turned my CMD to legacy mode, and restarted, and then I was like, "That's cool that they have that, now let me turn back to normal mode."... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Diyamund, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Diyamund Win User

Command Prompt gives a blank black screen unless I use legacy console

So one day, I turned my CMD to legacy mode, and restarted, and then I was like, "That's cool that they have that, now let me turn back to normal mode." And nowevery time I try to start CMD without legacy mode on, I get a blank black screen. I have confirmed that CMDis running and it can still process commands, but I can't see anything.

:)

Diyamund, Jul 14, 2020

2. Command prompt only works in legacy console mode

I tried enabling legacy console just to see what it would do (I'm not very familiar with the option). After seeing that it limits the font options, I disabled it again. Reloaded console and then all the text was invisible. The console is still set to the
    default colors. What is going on and how can I fix it?

Anonymous_155, Jul 14, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

4. Jim C 13 Win User

I hosed my Command Prompt

Hi,

I was messing around with the color scheme, font size, etc., on the command prompt, and I managed to hose it big time. The screen appears to come up blank. I right click the top bar, and try to change the text color, but it keeps setting it back to black.
    I have gone into both defaults and properties menus, and no matter what I change, I cannot see the prompt or the text.

At one time, I hit use the legacy console. That did not seem to do anything so I set it back.

There is text there: it is just the same color as the background. If I hit the prompt a bunch of times, the scroll bar starts to move.

Self inflicted wound, I am sure. I hope someone can tell me how to fix this.

JC

Jim C 13, Jul 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Command Prompt gives a blank black screen unless I use legacy console - Similar Threads - Command Prompt blank

2. Black screen with command prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen with command prompt: So basically I had a 2022 windows 10 pc and I wanted to get a 2016 version for my liking and it downloaded everything and then restarted my pc ever since then I didn't know what to do I watched some guides to do some health check ups but it didn't help it gpt me really...
  3. Black screen with command prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen with command prompt: So basically I had a 2022 windows 10 pc and I wanted to get a 2016 version for my liking and it downloaded everything and then restarted my pc ever since then I didn't know what to do I watched some guides to do some health check ups but it didn't help it gpt me really...
  4. Black screen with command prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to get back legacy command prompt.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get back legacy command prompt.: I'm learning c++ and when I run the compiled application by double clicking it gets opened in the new terminal app. I want the old command prompt to be used when I double click the exe. Any idea ?...
  6. How to get back legacy command prompt.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get back legacy command prompt.: I'm learning c++ and when I run the compiled application by double clicking it gets opened in the new terminal app. I want the old command prompt to be used when I double click the exe. Any idea ?...
  7. Windows opens with command prompt and a black screen.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows opens with command prompt and a black screen.: When I switch on my laptop. It opens with a command prompt screen and a black background, i.e. dekstop is not visible. On closing command prompt the black screen remains and the only function that works is Alt+Ctrl+delete. Please help.[IMG]...
  8. Command prompt only works in legacy console mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command prompt only works in legacy console mode: I tried enabling legacy console just to see what it would do (I'm not very familiar with the option). After seeing that it limits the font options, I disabled it again. Reloaded console and then all the text was invisible. The console is still set to the default colors. What...
  9. windows boots into black screen with command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    windows boots into black screen with command prompt: Noticed today that there was an update ready to install so I went ahead with it. During the update process I accidentally hit f8 at my bios screen and booted into windows boot manager. Realizing my mistake I went ahead and exited it and hoped that the update would be...
  10. Command Prompt not working and random black screens.

in Windows 10 Support
    Command Prompt not working and random black screens.: Alright, I fixed it, seems like I fixed it by updating my graphics card drivers.