Windows 10: Command Prompt Name Change

Discus and support Command Prompt Name Change in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I've been searching the internet for results and I can't seem to get a clear answer. I'm looking to change the name I don't know what else to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by [Syndicate], Feb 9, 2021.

1. Command Prompt Name Change

Hello, I've been searching the internet for results and I can't seem to get a clear answer. I'm looking to change the name I don't know what else to call it that appears in the Command Prompt once you open it. When you first open CMD it looks a lot like:

C:\Users\*name*>

Since the name shows up as the first 5 or so letters of your email it tends to bother me and I'd just like to change it to something else like this every time I open CMD

C:\Users\*New Name*>

The closest I came to finding an answer was an old archived reddit thread but I couldn't make much sense of it. Is it even possible to change that name to permanently say something else every time you open CMD? If anyone can help, can you please describe the solution step-by-step if this is even something you can change. I'm new to messing with computers and the simpler it's explained to be the better, thank you!

:)

[Syndicate], Feb 9, 2021
  2. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Feb 9, 2021
  3. change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, Feb 9, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Command Prompt Name Change

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Bree, Feb 9, 2021
Thema:

Command Prompt Name Change

1. Command Prompt Name Change - Similar Threads - Command Prompt Name

2. copy file with new name in command prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    copy file with new name in command prompt: To copy a file with a new name in the command prompt, you can use the copy a command followed by the source file path and the destination file path. Here's the syntax:cssCopy codecopy [source_file_path] [destination_file_path]Replace [source_file_path] with the path of the...
  3. copy file with new name in command prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    copy file with new name in command prompt: Hi all, This is a bit of an unusual question. I use a radio automation program called Zara, and am trying to get it to load certain sweeper files automatically. The files where these are stored have a ZSL extension. I have them stored currently in my music folder in a Zara...
  4. Command Prompt Renaming Files with " and ' in the file name.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Command Prompt Renaming Files with " and ' in the file name.: I have a folder with thousands of files with in it. I have been trying to run various batch commands on the files within this folder, however some of these files have " and ' within their filename. Is there some way to either eliminate the problem characters from within the...
  5. Unable to change -Command Prompt - To :- Elevated Command Prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to change -Command Prompt - To :- Elevated Command Prompt: Having problem installing updates windows 10 64bit - version 2004 -- need to access command prompt as an Administrator to try to fix. Any ideas ?...
  6. Wrong name on command prompt

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wrong name on command prompt: I just built a new PC and signed in with my Microsoft account. My account displays my full name (which I'd rather it didn't), but the command prompt shows just my first name with the last letter missing. Why would the name used in the command prompt be wrong, and is there a...
  7. Wrong/Repeated/Changed Directory Name in Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wrong/Repeated/Changed Directory Name in Command Prompt: In using the directory command on a 4tb USB external drive the following occurred. the Directory on Windows Explorer (GUI) is: d:/Backups/Documents/…. In CMD, entering "Dir d:/backups " lists all the other directories in the folder except "Documents" but there is a...
  8. Command Prompt User Name format

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Command Prompt User Name format: Hi. Is there a way to change the format of my command prompt User Name? Normally it is just the user name but I have 1 pc where it is the <user name.pc_name>. This is windows 10....
  9. Command Prompt Experimental changes

in Windows 10 Support
    Command Prompt Experimental changes: Anyone figured out a use for the Opacity setting for Command Prompt on the Experimental tab? I've tried it at many different settings and I just can't see a use for it. 2127
  10. Change PowerShell To Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Change PowerShell To Command Prompt: How do you change from PowerShell to Command Prompt using file explorer ? 104838