Windows 10: Command Prompt setx truncating to 1024 characters

Discus and support Command Prompt setx truncating to 1024 characters in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; setx path "%path%;C:\julia\bin" WARNING: The data being saved is truncated to 1024 characters. SUCCESS: Specified value was saved. Using this how... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by keilnlgy8901, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Command Prompt setx truncating to 1024 characters

setx path "%path%;C:\julia\bin"

WARNING: The data being saved is truncated to 1024 characters.

SUCCESS: Specified value was saved.

Using this how can I get around the data being truncated?

:)

keilnlgy8901, Jan 23, 2020

2. I can't set environment variable more than 1024 characters using setx command. why please explain me.

Hi, I want to set a variable more than 1024 characters using the setx command. whenever I try this command, I have truncated error. But in windows, we can use 2047 characters. then why I can't use more than 1024 characters.

Karthickraj Rethinakumar, Jan 23, 2020
  3. What is the String limit for SetX command in windows 7 and above?

Hello guys, I want to know maximum string limit for setx command to set an environment variable in Windows 7 and above.

because I got a truncated error when using 1024 above. Please give some reference also. thank you.

Karthickraj Rethinakumar, Jan 23, 2020
  4. Command Prompt setx truncating to 1024 characters

I can't set environment variable more than 1024 characters using setx command. why please explain me.

Why I can't use more than 1024 characters?

-> Because setx.exe has an inbuilt limit of 1024 characters. It actually tells you so explicitly:

WARNING: The data being saved is truncated to 1024 characters.

What are you actually trying to do with such a long variable? There are probably better ways of doing things.

Frederik Long, Jan 23, 2020
Thema:

Command Prompt setx truncating to 1024 characters

1. Command Prompt setx truncating to 1024 characters - Similar Threads - Command Prompt setx

2. command prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    command prompt: Hello everone,does anyone know why my laptop will not run any bootrec commands? yes i run the cmd as administrator. also ran as admin in cd\ as well. nothing i've tried has worked. mind you, i don't know a lot. seems like i know just enough to get myself in trouble. thanks in...
  3. Command prompt

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Command prompt: I did two virus scans and came back with no viruses, but when I'm in games command prompt starts and then closes immediately, it causes issues with my games, some games will black screen and get me killed I can't find anybody else with this issue and I'm looking for some...
  4. 5 character truncation - How to fix

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    5 character truncation - How to fix: I only recently discovered that the 5 character username on my computer was not actually my fault. I had gaslit myself for years thinking about how moronic I was to misspell my own name. I have looked online and I have seen a few ways to fix this and none seem to work. Most...
  5. command prompt

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    command prompt: when another application tries to open command prompt it closes. I thought that it was the autorun virus but when i open it from start menu it doesnt close plz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt/e1498e45-5ac9-45ca-8a5f-6c624895c5a4
  6. Command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command prompt: It seems that I have to renew my command prompt almost monthly by use of the "bootsect /nt60 sys" command. Why is this happening ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt/6ca7646e-66a4-45cf-ab84-781950936dee
  7. Command Prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Command Prompt: On my PC cmd not working properly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt/1997eabc-1c65-4dd5-a223-03a83f66ccf6
  8. command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    command prompt: hi, Is the 64 bit operating system, alright to run on the 32 bit administrator command prompt? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt/0202ade4-c9cf-4456-80b3-5ee9a53dd104
  9. command prompt commands

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    command prompt commands: Can anybody just tell me what the command prompt for starting up in safe mode with networking is, if there is one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/command-prompt-commands/7b058934-65f0-40dc-8982-936764895a61
  10. commands in command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    commands in command prompt: is there a full list of DOS style Commands buried somewhere in win10 i try CHKDSK and get nowhere with the command unless I'm typing it wrong. but there are a few otthers i would be interested in as well. 54240

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows pc warning: the data being saved is truncated to 1024 characters. for setx

2. warning: the data being saved is truncated to 1024 characters.

3. setx path truncate 1024

4. windows setx path truncated