Windows 10: Command prompt starts instead of File Explorer?

Discus and support Command prompt starts instead of File Explorer? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Around a month ago, I turned my laptop Asus TUF Gaming FX504 and instead of Explorer launching, I got greeted with Command Prompt. The fix was simple,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MarianSpasov, May 7, 2020.

1. Command prompt starts instead of File Explorer?

Around a month ago, I turned my laptop Asus TUF Gaming FX504 and instead of Explorer launching, I got greeted with Command Prompt. The fix was simple, I just typed "explorer" and everything was back to normal, but this issue kept on happening. I have a feeling it's something in the registry, but I might be wrong. Can anyone help me?

:)

MarianSpasov, May 7, 2020
  2. YusraSyed Win User

Command Prompt not opening. Clicking on Command Prompt opens the default folder location in File Explorer instead.

Hi, I'm using windows 10. I have no idea why my command prompt is not launching properly and is instead opening up the default folder in File Explorer i.e. File Explorer is opening up in the command prompt default start up folder.

Please help.

FYI. I recently downloaded Code blocks, the version with the C compiler. Has it messed with the environment variables or what? I have no clue.

YusraSyed, May 7, 2020
  3. cwtech Win User
    command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, May 7, 2020
  4. Command prompt starts instead of File Explorer?

File Explorer not opening via pinned Taskbar icon on Windows 10

Hi Leon,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I apologies for delay in reply. I will certainly help you with this.

I suggest you to unpin the File explorer from the task bar and re-pin the File Explorer and check If issue is resolved. If issue persist, I suggest you to follow the below given steps and check if it helps:

I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope this information helps. Please post back with the results, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, May 7, 2020
Thema:

Command prompt starts instead of File Explorer?

1. Command prompt starts instead of File Explorer? - Similar Threads - Command prompt starts

2. command prompt starting on desktop startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    command prompt starting on desktop startup: Hi recently whenever I turn on my deviceASUS LAPTOP windows 10 the command promt suddenly opens and closes like within a second it has happened to me a numerous times now pls help me....
  3. Command Prompt/ Batch files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Command Prompt/ Batch files: [ATTACH] when i create a batch file to ping something, it spams the command and throws no response. how do i fix this? https://preview.redd.it/fyy6qwrfx7n61.png?width=256&format=png&auto=webp&s=d55552fdc7a5c297d565617f710992048238660c submitted by /u/xWasss [link]...
  4. windows command prompt automatically starts

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows command prompt automatically starts: windows command prompt automatically starting and then automatically stopping https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-command-prompt-automatically-starts/037933a7-4973-48cf-bead-3d3a17e5d7f0
  5. "Start this PC with a command prompt?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Start this PC with a command prompt?: As already described in the title, I want to start "this PC" with a command prompt. Is that possible? Thanks for the many and quick answers, with which it worked :D "Dieser PC mit Eingabeaufforderung starten?
  6. command prompt can't start

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    command prompt can't start: Hi, I am using windows 10. it's updates, and i got that new thing called windows shell( i guess its instead of cmd) my problem is that command prompt doesn't run. when i press on the cmd or try to run it from the run window, as administrator, or even try "start cmd" from...
  7. Use "Command Prompt" instead of "PowerShell"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Use "Command Prompt" instead of "PowerShell": Hi! I'm using Windows 10 version 1807, In this version, the option "Open in Command Prompt" fully removed from Explorer, in "File" menu and [Shift]+[Right Click] menu, And there's no option to get it back in Settings, only there's an option for [Alt]+[X] menu. I have to...
  8. Command for Command Prompt restoring missing file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command for Command Prompt restoring missing file: Hey i saw your post about how you can boot into Command Prompt and push to restore the file, do you have that command still??...
  9. File Explorer launches Administrator command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer launches Administrator command prompt: When I launch a recent folder or any folder linked on the pinned taskbar icon for File Explorer it launches what appears to cmd.exe with "Administrator" and the folder path in the top bar. the folder is also displayed in the command prompt itself. However if I just click on...
  10. Command prompt in Start button bug

in Windows 10 Support
    Command prompt in Start button bug: Hey people, since creators update trying to launch CMD/Powershell with right click on start button just got nothing being launch. Only way i can launch it by other methods. Does someone else find this problem with creators update? Or my system just get corrupted but sfc...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 command prompt opens file explorer