Windows 10: Command Prompt Window Keeps Flashing

Discus and support Command Prompt Window Keeps Flashing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have two computers of mine that keep running "system32\schtasks.exe" in a command prompt. It will appear but go away in a fraction of a second; only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ryley2637, May 24, 2016.

1. ryley2637 Win User

Command Prompt Window Keeps Flashing

I have two computers of mine that keep running "system32\schtasks.exe" in a command prompt. It will appear but go away in a fraction of a second; only by capturing the frame at the right time was I able to get a screenshot of it. It launches that exe file and says "ERROR: Access is denied" even though the account is an administrator. It comes up completely randomly and I haven't been able to find out what has been causing it to run. I've tried looking for it in event viewer but with the number of tasks it has and not knowing which logs to look for I tried narrowing it down to the minute it happened, but event viewer can't load the logs cause I'm giving it to many to show at once. Is their a way I can figure out why schtasks is being launched and be able to stop it?

:)

ryley2637, May 24, 2016
  2. Todd_S_88 Win User

Taskbar flashing Command-prompt window

It could be programs that are running at startup that are executing a batch file or something along those lines. I know I've for instance seen graphics drivers run a batch file after installation. Since this is happening after startup/restarts two places
    you could always check are:

• Task Scheduler, to get there right click your start menu and click on "Computer Management" and go to Task Scheduler->Task Scheduler Library and see what is listed there
      Command Prompt Window Keeps Flashing [​IMG]
    • Go to the Startup tab in task manager
    I feel like task scheduler could have some clues for you, especially if you see ones with triggers of being at a logon event. From there if you are curious you can do some searches on them and see if there is some more information on what they are doing.

Todd_S_88, May 24, 2016
  3. Taskbar flashing Command-prompt window

Thank you for your attention to this matter! I have gone through the Start-up items and disabled the unnecessary items already. The issue has gone away (I think it was taken care of with the last big update); but, I'll keep your suggestion of checking the
    Task Scheduler in mind.

Thanks again!

RP

rockinpreacher, May 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

This is what it is:
    Schtasks.exe (Windows)

You can try a capture with Sysinternals procmon (free, just search and download it).

As you're looking for a particular process, you can search the (extensive) capture quite easily. Hopefully it will give you a clue.

If I run it from a normal command prompt (I'm logged in as admin) I get a long listing, the first part being this:

- you could try that and see what happens.

Shorter is
    schtasks.exe /?

If it's not able to run, you may have some sort of permissions error or other corruption.

- I'm surprised...

dalchina, May 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Command Prompt Window Keeps Flashing - Similar Threads - Command Prompt Window

2. Command prompt flashing for a moment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command prompt flashing for a moment: There is a command prompt flashing on my computer every once in a while. It lasts just a moment and I can't see if there is any text inside of itThe biggest problem is that it tabs me out of full screen games, and that is really annoying.I scanned my pc for viruses and such...
  3. Command prompt flashing for a moment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Command prompt flashing for a moment: There is a command prompt flashing on my computer every once in a while. It lasts just a moment and I can't see if there is any text inside of itThe biggest problem is that it tabs me out of full screen games, and that is really annoying.I scanned my pc for viruses and such...
  4. Command prompt flashing for a moment

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Command Prompt Flashing on system software usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command Prompt Flashing on system software usage: Greetings,Every time I log in, launch event viewer, registry editor, ctrl+alt+del, a command prompt window flashes. So I turned on some auditing and found out that its the jabswitch.exe running with the enable switch apparently doing so at the request of AtBroker.exe. Never...
  6. Command Prompt Flashing on system software usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Command Prompt Flashing on system software usage: Greetings,Every time I log in, launch event viewer, registry editor, ctrl+alt+del, a command prompt window flashes. So I turned on some auditing and found out that its the jabswitch.exe running with the enable switch apparently doing so at the request of AtBroker.exe. Never...
  7. Command Prompt Flashing on system software usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. HELP! A Command Prompt Window Keeps Flashing Quickly On Screen on Windows 10

HELP! A Command Prompt Window Keeps Flashing Quickly On Screen on Windows 10: A few weeks ago, I started noticing a black window flashing on my screen quickly. At first, I wasn't able to make up what it was, but then I recorded my screen for a few minutes to capture it on video, and here's what it is:I haven't found a solution to what this might be or...
  9. Command Prompt just flashes and closes immediately

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Command Prompt just flashes and closes immediately: Hi there, Can anyone please assist, recently had an issue with trying to open command prompt, thought it had something to do with a issue on Windows 10 after an update. When I tried to use cmd to run a command I noticed it would just flash and immediately close, I read...
  10. command prompt flashing on this computer.

command prompt flashing on this computer.: a few weeks ago I clicked an adobe reader update. almost immediately thereafter, command prompt flashing began on this computer and I have found no simple way to stop it. please provide a series of steps that might allow me to eliminate this problem....