Windows 10: Command Prompt Won't Close

Discus and support Command Prompt Won't Close in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ok, so on my Dell Latitude E6520 laptop, I can open command prompt (Normal and Admin), but can not close any of the CMD windows I open unless I go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by msilverio, Aug 23, 2015.

1. msilverio Win User

Command Prompt Won't Close

Ok, so on my Dell Latitude E6520 laptop, I can open command prompt (Normal and Admin), but can not close any of the CMD windows I open unless I go through the Task Manager and shut them down. I do not have that issue on my desktop, which is also running Windows 10 Pro. Is there any known fix to this issue that anyone knows of? The laptop is the only Windows 10 device I've run across that has this issue. It is just incredibly aggrivating that I have to go through the Task Manager just to close the cmd windows *Mad

:)

msilverio, Aug 23, 2015

2. Command Prompt opens/closes randomly

You could now do several things by right-clicking it:

• Run it immediately to see if it generates the console screen you saw before.
    • Deactivate it.
    • Double-click it to open it, examine under Actions what it does, then have a good look at the batch file it runs.

Frederik Long, Aug 23, 2015
  3. Command Prompt opens/closes randomly

On rare occasions it will stop for a few seconds. I was able to copy this:

FINDSTR: Cannot open c:\ProgramData\acer\updater2\updater2.xml

The system cannot find the path specified.

Cannot access file C:\Program Files\DriverSetupUtility\FUB\+

FINDSTR: Cannot open c:\ProgramData\packard bell\updater2\updater2.xml

FINDSTR: Cannot open c:\ProgramData\gateway\updater2\updater2.xml

FINDSTR: Cannot open c:\ProgramData\founder\updater2\updater2.xml

RonaldBedsole, Aug 23, 2015
  4. George Win User

Hello,

Some ancient memory from a past life keeps prompting me to type in "q" to quit - Does not work!! The only way i close them that I know of is to type "exit" (without the quotes, of course). I suppose you could trick out another keypress to type exit. HTH.

George, Aug 23, 2015
  5. msilverio Win User
    George

Typing exit works for me, of course haha. But I am still curious as to why when I click on the X button of the window, it refuses to close or stop the current process I have going (I.E. a continuous ping test). Also, If I have a continuous test going, such as the ping, the ctrl+c command does not stop it, and when I go through the Task Manager and close the cmd window, it pulls up the TCP/IP Ping Command task once the cmd closes. I have to end both in order to get the cmd window to actually close. Any ideas on that one? (Again, that is only occuring on the laptop, my desktops aren't having that issue)

msilverio, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Command Prompt Won't Close - Similar Threads - Command Prompt Won't

2. Command prompt keeps opening, then running a command, and then closing again.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command prompt keeps opening, then running a command, and then closing again.: DESKTOP-A77K8T8.arnp1.txtp2.txttasks.csv https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt-keeps-opening-then-running-a/aa2905dd-ee63-429e-ab9e-7f8e27ec48b3
  3. Command prompt keeps opening, then running a command, and then closing again.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Command prompt keeps opening, then running a command, and then closing again.: Happy new year everybody!Unfortunately I have been having some trouble for the past 4-5 months when command center would randomly open itself, run a command, then close itself sometimes, other times it'll just open and stay there until I manually close it. I already scanned...
  4. Command Prompt Opening Then Closing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Command Prompt Opening Then Closing: At the moment I have a problem with my HP laptop. I am running Windows 11 and every 1 minute or so I am not certain if it is a regular time a blank command prompt will open under the system32 directory. There would be no text within the prompt and the title would be the...
  5. Command Prompt Opens then closes immediately

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Command Prompt Opens then closes immediately: When I open CMD or any command that uses cmd, it just opens then closes really fastplease help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt-opens-then-closes-immediately/de915006-128d-4861-ac88-ee63f4cfea67
  6. Command Prompt opening and closing immediately

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Command Prompt opening and closing immediately: im trying to open my cmd, ive tried as administrator, I've tried making a copy and renaming the exe file, I've tried launching it in safe mode. and nothing is working...
  7. Command Prompt opens and closes randomly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Command Prompt opens and closes randomly: A CMD window with the title "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319" opens about once a minute for a split second and then disappears, I have yet to find a way to stop this... any help? Thanks...
  8. Command Prompt closing immediately.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command Prompt closing immediately.: When I startup and application which requires the command prompt to function I run the application as administrator and then the command prompt just flashes and nothing else happens, I need help....
  9. Command Prompt closing by itself

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Command Prompt closing by itself: While i try to access Command Prompt, it opens in full sice for less than half of a second, then chages into very small size (viz. picture) near upper left corner of a screen and after cca half a second closes completly. picture I also noticed the command prompt appears for...
  10. Command Prompt won't open

in Windows 10 Support
    Command Prompt won't open: Hi, whenever I try to open the Command Prompt in Win10 (cmd.exe) I get the following pop up: cmd.exe - Application Error The Application was unable to staart correctly (0XCoooo142). Click OK to close the application. I should add this was an upgrade to Win10 Any help...