Windows 10: Committed Memory full but RAM has empty space?

Discus and support Committed Memory full but RAM has empty space? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Can someone check what's wrong. I installed 8gb more, and it's still not enough. I don't want to destroy my ssd and want to disable page file. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by QDanteQ, Apr 7, 2022.

1. QDanteQ Win User

Committed Memory full but RAM has empty space?

Can someone check what's wrong. I installed 8gb more, and it's still not enough. I don't want to destroy my ssd and want to disable page file. I recordered info by Windows performance recorder and opened a few tabs in chrome. Can someone check this info and tell me what's wrong, thanks.The link to the recording: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1px0HDTrYsxyJV13z2UUCqnxIMw1Vj5SV/view?usp=sharing

:)

QDanteQ, Apr 7, 2022
  2. iMarbot Win User

I'm running modded Cities: Skylines (as very memory using game when modded). I have an SSD, so I don't want a massive paging file size (at the moment its disabled to see if it will fix by problem but it doesn't seem like it). During the loading process the
    committed memory maxes out, yet there is a lot of space on the RAM (image below):
    Committed Memory full but RAM has empty space? 6f2809b0-340e-4821-9603-446cc6f0610a.png

I don't understand how the committed memory is full yet the RAM has almost 5GB empty? After the committed memory maxes out, the game crashes, crashes some random running programs too and sometimes black screens my PC and then spams me with errors.

iMarbot, Apr 7, 2022
  3. iMarbot Win User

Surely if the total committed memory is 16GB with no paging file and I have 16GB RAM, then all the committed memory is RAM? And that memory works the same on all machines running Windows? I don't understand how the committed memory can be full but RAM is not.
    I will the performance toolkit next time I try run the game, but I'm not sure when to run it, while the game is loading and RAM usage is increasing or at a different time?

iMarbot, Apr 7, 2022
  4. Committed Memory full but RAM has empty space?

16GB of committed memory on a 8GB RAM system

You do not have 16 GB of committed memory. Your task manager screen snap shows that you have 2.2 GB of committed memory, aka "commit charge", with a commit limit of 16 GB.

Committed memory is virtual address space, specifically process-private virtual address space, and it is pageable. So n GB of commit charge is not necessarily using n GB of RAM. And on the other hand, there are other uses of RAM besides committed memory.

See the numbers on your first Task Manager screen snapshot under "Committed"? The first shows how much is currently committed (the "commit charge") and the second shows the commit limit. (Running into the commit limit brings you the "Windows is low on memory" pop-up.)

The graph on the memory page shows physical (RAM) memory usage and it shows only 30% of RAM in use. So disabling your page file will not address your performance problems.

Committed memory is created when processes allocate it. You don't really have a problem with your commit charge, but for reference, I'll add: Each process's contribution to this is shown in TM's "Details" tab, "Commit size" column (which is not displayed by default; you'll likely have to add it). The paged and nonpaged pool also are part of the system-wide commit charge.

You mention that another view of Task Manager (which we can't see) seems to show that your disk 0 is busy a high percentage of the time. Try using the Disk tab in Resource Monitor to see what's accessing the disk so much.

btw, an often-overlooked cause of slow disk activity is disk errors, which result in retries. Check the event log for this.

Jamie Hanrahan, Apr 7, 2022
Thema:

1. Committed Memory full but RAM has empty space? - Similar Threads - Committed Memory full

2. Committed Ram at 95%+ usage, causing memory-related crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Committed Ram at 95%+ usage, causing memory-related crashing: Ever since installing a new GPU RX 6600 8GB, I am having frequent crashes in every game, regardless of quality settings or anything of the sort. Before the upgrade, I was using a GTX960, so it certainly wasn't a downgrade, but running games at the same quality settings if not...
  3. Committed Ram at 95%+ usage, causing memory-related crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Committed Ram at 95%+ usage, causing memory-related crashing: Ever since installing a new GPU RX 6600 8GB, I am having frequent crashes in every game, regardless of quality settings or anything of the sort. Before the upgrade, I was using a GTX960, so it certainly wasn't a downgrade, but running games at the same quality settings if not...
  4. Committed Ram at 95%+ usage, causing memory-related crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Committed Memory full but RAM has empty space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Committed Memory full but RAM has empty space?: Can someone check what's wrong. I installed 8gb more, and it's still not enough. I don't want to destroy my ssd and want to disable page file. I recordered info by Windows performance recorder and opened a few tabs in chrome. Can someone check this info and tell me what's...
  6. Committed Memory full but RAM has empty space?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Committed Memory full but RAM has empty space?: Can someone check what's wrong. I installed 8gb more, and it's still not enough. I don't want to destroy my ssd and want to disable page file. I recordered info by Windows performance recorder and opened a few tabs in chrome. Can someone check this info and tell me what's...
  7. What is Committed memory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is Committed memory: [ATTACH] Greetings All, I wanted to know what this committed memory means and why is it more than my ram https://preview.redd.it/caxm92wgqpf51.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=aa54909da930cf920e8edff1248e143c85b9cc9c submitted by /u/rayanshchauhan [link]...
  8. Committed memory nearly full with nothing open and unable to open anything with it crashing...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Committed memory nearly full with nothing open and unable to open anything with it crashing...: Title pretty much sums it it, recently my pc has been maxing out on committed memory even with absolutely nothing to fix it and the only way to reset it is to restart by system which isn’t really much of a fix, any ideas? submitted by /u/Tyler4304 [link] [comments]...
  9. RAM 'Commit' issue?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAM 'Commit' issue?: Hi all - just installed Win10's latest 64-bit version (1909) on an older Toshiba Satellite C650D. Windows seems to be working fine, but is really slow. The machine has 4GB of RAM and a dual-core 2.1GHz AMD Athlon II P320 processor, so, yes, I know it's old, but it should be...
  10. RAM 'Commit' issue?

in Windows 10 Support
    RAM 'Commit' issue?: Hi all - just installed Win10's latest 64-bit version (1909) on an older Toshiba Satellite C650D. Windows seems to be working fine, but is really slow. The machine has 4GB of RAM and a dual-core 2.1GHz AMD Athlon II P320 processor, so, yes, I know it's old, but it should be...