Windows 10: Common Item Dialog garbles user input

Discus and support Common Item Dialog garbles user input in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 1903. When trying to open or "save as" files the keyboard input is garbled. Pressing the same key multiple times... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RichardGould_141, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Common Item Dialog garbles user input

Recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 1903. When trying to open or "save as" files the keyboard input is garbled. Pressing the same key multiple times produces different characters each time. Keyboard is a Logitech K520 wireless. Driver uninstalled and reinstalled with no effect.

:)

RichardGould_141, Oct 5, 2019

2. 32 bit common dialogs not working on 64 bit os

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description of the issue, I understand that you are facing issues with Windows Explorer Dialog Box in Windows 10.

Before proceeding, please check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Ref:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Please perform the below steps and see if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1:

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.

• Restart the computer.

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Method 2:

If issue persist, Kindly follow the below given steps and check if it helps:

Run these commands:

• Press Windows key and type Powershell
      in search, right click on it and Open as administrator .

• Type the following command in Powershell and hit enter:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 5, 2019
  3. Kreij Win User
    Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Oct 5, 2019
  4. Ender Win User

Common Item Dialog garbles user input

Setting the default input method for the Windows 10 login screen

I had the same question but with French being the default on Windows 10 rather than the one I wanted so I ended up here.

HoD is very close. I was able to use his suggestion to find the solution for me. This solution uses your current display and input language to change the Welcome screen and possible for new user accounts if you want. So make sure you have the display and input settings while logged in that you want to apply to the login screen before doing the steps:

1. Click the language on the Taskbar.
    2. Then click Language preferences.
    3. At the bottom under "Related settings," click "additional date, time, & regional settings" which opens the control panel
    4. Click the "Region" option
    5. Then go to the far right tab "Administrative". (HoD's step 2)
    6. In the "Welcome screen and new user accounts" click copy settings. (HoD's step 3)
    7. Tick "Welcome screen and system accounts" (and "new user accounts" if you want it to be applied to those as well). (HoD's step 4)
    8. Click Ok. (HoD's step 5)

I was able to use HoD's suggestion to find the solution here. It's for Windows 8.1, but works on 10 so far.

Hope it will help you, too!

Ender, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

Common Item Dialog garbles user input

1. Common Item Dialog garbles user input - Similar Threads - Common Item Dialog

2. Items missing in save as dialog box

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Items missing in save as dialog box: Hello, Some elements of the save as dialog box have disappeared. For example, the navigation bar and the arrows are no longer there. I am under windows 11. I don't know when the problem appeared because my computer was used by someone else. I tried a sfc scannow but it didn't...
  3. Items missing in save as dialog box

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Items missing in save as dialog box: Hello, Some elements of the save as dialog box have disappeared. For example, the navigation bar and the arrows are no longer there. I am under windows 11. I don't know when the problem appeared because my computer was used by someone else. I tried a sfc scannow but it didn't...
  4. Change folders displayed in common dialog boxes

in Windows 10 Support
    Change folders displayed in common dialog boxes: Win10Pro64 v2004. Greetings... I've just finished the build of a new PC, and I'm bothered by the large number of useless folders that are displayed in the left pane of open and save dialog boxes. I'm attaching a screenshot of what I see. I'm hoping for advice about how to...
  5. Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window

in Windows 10 Customization
    Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window: I know this can be done and I do recall back in 2017 I was reading about this. However there is no possibility to know where exactly I found this two years back. Just like title says, I want to replace common CIDs used post-Vista to open / browse / save file with older...
  6. Save and Open common dialog

in Windows 10 Customization
    Save and Open common dialog: Hi When I try to open or save file in my common dialog box always open ThisPc to show me the path. How to set it up to be closed. On my other computer ThisPc is always closed in an open or save dialog box. many thx for help[ATTACH]...
  7. Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows How to Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a program (ex: Registry Editor), and...
  8. Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows: How to: Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows How to Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a program (ex: Registry Editor), and...
  9. Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows: How to: Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows How to Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes to Default in Windows [img] Information Starting with Windows Vista, the Common Item Dialog (CID) supersedes the older Common File Dialog when...
  10. 32 bit common dialogs not working on 64 bit os

in Windows 10 Support
    32 bit common dialogs not working on 64 bit os: Running windows 10 64. Common dialogs on 32 bit applications do not work/appear. First i thought there was only a problem with chrome, save dialog do not work/appear and i cannot download anything, unless you config chrome for autodownload. Then i realized that it was the...