Windows 10: common problem - start menu, taskbar, system tray etc not working

Discus and support common problem - start menu, taskbar, system tray etc not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I know its a common problem with 10 but here is a list of my problems that occurred a few days after upgrading to windows 10. start menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ahjohnson, Nov 14, 2015.

1. ahjohnson Win User

common problem - start menu, taskbar, system tray etc not working

Hello,

I know its a common problem with 10 but here is a list of my problems that occurred a few days after upgrading to windows 10.

start menu isn't accessible (unless i download classic shell)
    task bar isn't accessible
    system tray isn't accessible - i can't even open the clock or volume control!
    edge has vanished
    cortana is non-existent
    app store is not accessible

there are various solutions out there i know - i have tried every one i could find but to no avail. these include:

creating a new user - doesn't allow it.

powershell (as admin) - this command: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} - does nothing

performing sfc /scannow - no integrity violations

removing various anti-virus and anti-spyware software packages - does nothing

applying the batch file of win 10 default services - says access is denied for each item.

msconfig - booted in safe mode etc

Error 67758 - fixing this finds no problem detected

Please help!!

:)

ahjohnson, Nov 14, 2015

2. Odd behaviour from Windows Taskbar

For some reason, Windows 10 taskbar is behaving in an odd fashion. I am unable to right click on the icons on the taskbar. I am able to launch the application, sure, such as file explorer etc., with the left click, but right clicking on any icon has no
    effect.

On the other hand, I am not able to left click on any of the icons in the system tray, but I am able to use the right click to bring up the menu. The same goes for the Start button (Windows button).

So in essence, right click on the icons in the taskbar does not work, and the left click on icons in the system tray, does not work. The opposite action on both, works...

I have restarted the system, and restarted the Windows explorer process as well, to no avail.

Kindly advise.

tigrisofgod, Nov 14, 2015
  3. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Nov 14, 2015
  4. caperjack Win User

hello, I would restore back ,go to all setting and update and security ,and then recovery ,and then reset this pc , saving all you stuff .that's what I would do if I ever have a upgrade that didn't work correctly,

caperjack, Nov 14, 2015
  5. ahjohnson Win User
    thanks, i've thought about doing this but noticed it'd remove apps such as:

dell touchpad
    dw wlan card utility
    intel management engine components

i'd be worried about not being able to restore them, not sure if i have original discs!

ahjohnson, Nov 14, 2015
  6. stigus Win User
    Most of those should be available online, either trough googling your computer name and finding the drivers on your brands website, or going to the official sites (dell, intel). I had this same dreaded bug for over a month when I used win10. No start menu, or the menus you are missing. I also got some other bugs like slow windows functions (right click in some folders, Win-E would take forever) and sometimes even completely black screen on startup.

After the 3rd clean install, I told myself if it happened again I would be done with the OS for now. Sure as clockwork it happened two weeks later, and I got rid of it. Just be prepared that this might happen to you as well, no amount of clean installs, or fixes was able to fix my OS completely, but ever since I went back to win 7, everything has been perfect again.

Edit: So after reading up on some news about this issue, it seems like it might be connected to dropbox of all things. Do you have it installed? Try uninstalling it and see if that fixes anything after a reboot.

stigus, Nov 14, 2015
  7. ahjohnson Win User
    Thanks for that stigus. May go and do that later then. It's a tricky one because the computer is still functioning well other than the issues I listed.

As for Dropbox, no I have never even used it before.

ahjohnson, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. common problem - start menu, taskbar, system tray etc not working - Similar Threads - common problem start

2. Taskbar/start menu not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar/start menu not working: have Windows 10, it was working great since upgraded. Today I turn it on and now when I click the Start button or Windows key, the mouse just looks like it is loading, the taskbar flashes, and nothing comes up. I'm not able to use the search bar, and I can't right click apps...
  3. Taskbar/start menu not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar/start menu not working: have Windows 10, it was working great since upgraded. Today I turn it on and now when I click the Start button or Windows key, the mouse just looks like it is loading, the taskbar flashes, and nothing comes up. I'm not able to use the search bar, and I can't right click apps...
  4. System tray popup menu not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System tray popup menu not working: Hello there,I installed Windows 11 through the Insider about two weeks before it was released. Since then, I'm having this issue, where the popup menu that comes when you click on the WiFi / Battery / Volume icon in the system tray is missing. The icons are there, and when I...
  5. System tray popup menu not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System tray popup menu not working: Hello there,I installed Windows 11 through the Insider about two weeks before it was released. Since then, I'm having this issue, where the popup menu that comes when you click on the WiFi / Battery / Volume icon in the system tray is missing. The icons are there, and when I...
  6. Unresponsive start menu, no taskbar or system tray icons when switching user accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unresponsive start menu, no taskbar or system tray icons when switching user accounts: I've completely reinstalled Windows 10 twice, but no luck. Here's the problem, described also in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-between-user-logins-freezes-taskbar/d188f439-a164-482d-95ca-e15b5fe567b8 but with no resolution. Steps to...
  7. Start menu and taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start menu and taskbar not working: My system has lately been experiencing issues with the Start menu and taskbar. When I power my device on and click on the Start button, the menu doesn't appear. I can right click on the Start button or press Win + X to get to my properties, but left clicking does nothing. The...
  8. Problem with the system tray and slight stuttering of Start Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with the system tray and slight stuttering of Start Menu: Hi everyone, I need some help. So my laptop boots up perfectly fine and the windows 10 apps and the desktop apps also work perfectly. The problem i face is with the system tray or whatever the icons on the bottom right of the taskbar are called. When i try to click on...
  9. Pin Task Manager to Taskbar or Start Menu; Minimize Taskbar to System Tray

in Windows 10 News
    Pin Task Manager to Taskbar or Start Menu; Minimize Taskbar to System Tray: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The Task Manager is a built-in program in Windows which lets you keep a track on running processes, CPU, Memory, and other resource usage. It also offers you to remove programs from the Windows startup as well. Some pro users [...] This post Pin Task Manager...
  10. Taskbar : System tray problem : icon are not all show

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar : System tray problem : icon are not all show: Hi everyone ! First of all, pardon my English, that's not my native language, try' my best here ! I have a problem, and I think a picture will say more than anything else : [ATTACH] Does anyone know how I can reajust this setting ? Searching for a while, impossible to...