Windows 10: Communications ports are changing after rebooting

Discus and support Communications ports are changing after rebooting in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; After rebooting my computer, Windows 10 reset the communication ports (COMM Ports) settings. Then I go to the Device manager and change the position of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jim Parkers, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Communications ports are changing after rebooting

After rebooting my computer, Windows 10 reset the communication ports (COMM Ports) settings. Then I go to the Device manager and change the position of COMM ports again. But after restarting the issue comes back. Is there a method to stop the COMM ports from changing position?

:)

Jim Parkers, Feb 24, 2019
  2. Naresh_K Win User

Changing the Port settings for Serial-USB.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

If you want to change the port settings, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open Device manager (right click on start button
      and then on Device manager).
    2. Then expand port (COMS & LPT).
    3. Then right click on Prolific USB-to Serial Comm Port and then on properties.
    4. Go to port settings and click on Advanced.
    5. You will be able to make the changes on this screen.

Hope this helps.

Naresh_K, Feb 24, 2019
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Feb 24, 2019
  4. Communications ports are changing after rebooting

Windows 10 Communications Port

Hi Curtis,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on windows 10 and also for trying troubleshooting steps to fix issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I certainly help you with this issue.

This issue could have occurred due to corrupt Chipset Drivers.

I need more information about this issue so that I can assist you better.

1. What is the make and model of your computer?
    2. Which Device are you trying to connect via USB?

I would suggest you to try to uninstall and reinstall latest chipset drivers from manufacturer website in compatibility mode and check.

Follow the steps to uninstall drivers.

a) Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.

b) Click on “Device Manager”.

c) Search for the device that you would like to remove from the computer.

d) Right click on it and select “Uninstall”.

e) Follow the on-screen instructions and restart the computer, if prompted.

Follow the steps to install drivers in compatibility mode.

a. Right click on the setup file of the driver and select Properties

b. Select Compatibility Tab
    c. Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list

d. Let the driver to install and then check the functionality.

If it doesn't work so I would suggest you,

Let’s check if the devices using the COM ports are hidden and check if it helps to find the other ports as well.

Follow the steps:
    a) Type cmd on the Start screen and right click on Command Prompt. Select Run as administrator.
    b) Type “set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1″ without the quotes. Hit Enter.
    c) Type “start devmgmt.msc” without quotes and hit Enter.
    d) Seelct “Show hidden devices” under View menu.

Now if you expand the section on COM ports, all the COM ports that have ever been created will be displayed, the non present ones being in grey. You can uninstall anything that you don’t want (right click on each device icon and select uninstall).

I hope this helps.

Let us know the status of the issue so that we can assist you better.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Feb 24, 2019
Thema:

Communications ports are changing after rebooting

1. Communications ports are changing after rebooting - Similar Threads - Communications ports are

2. Communication Port COM 3 problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Communication Port COM 3 problem: Hi,I'm facing a problem on device manager - Ports Port & COM with yellow exclamation mark.The device status as per follows "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. Code 12 If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices...
  3. Communication Port COM 3 problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Communication Port COM 3 problem: Hi,I'm facing a problem on device manager - Ports Port & COM with yellow exclamation mark.The device status as per follows "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. Code 12 If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices...
  4. Communication Port COM 3 problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. All USB Ports are dead after reboot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All USB Ports are dead after reboot: Hello all,After a regular restart, all usb input devices do not respond at all. So I am stuck in the login screen. I have not consciously installed an update.However, after a few reboots, a short screen came up with the usual words "Updates are being processed", which is...
  6. All USB Ports are dead after reboot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All USB Ports are dead after reboot: Hello all,After a regular restart, all usb input devices do not respond at all. So I am stuck in the login screen. I have not consciously installed an update.However, after a few reboots, a short screen came up with the usual words "Updates are being processed", which is...
  7. USB Serial Adapter COM Port Changes on Reboot

USB Serial Adapter COM Port Changes on Reboot: I have a Windows 10 Laptop with a USB Serial Port Adapter with an attached printer. When I reboot the computer, the COM port assigned to the USB adapter changes randomly so that the printer no longer works. What can I do to ensure that the Serial Port Adapter is always...
  8. communications port

communications port: hey I've got a problem . I am trying to setup arduino on my platform w10 and the communications port driver is inexistent. Tried several solutions but still nothing. Added legacy hardware and still no driver , tried to update it and still no result. Can you please help me...
  9. Communications Ports Access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Communications Ports Access: I have two DMR radios. One works on Communications port 3, The other can't find Comm port 3. How do i access / open Communications Port 3? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/communications-ports-access/86fc81f2-5117-4225-b6e6-b475ddfef7a5
  10. Changing RDP port after upgrade

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing RDP port after upgrade: I had my port set to 443, and it worked. I cannot seem to RDP on that port, or the default port. The firewall is OFF. Any ideas? The port was changed in registry already when I went to double check, rebooted a few times, still no luck. Does the new smart filter thingy block...