Windows 10: Compact a Hyper-V VHD

Discus and support Compact a Hyper-V VHD in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have Hyper-V VM with the Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview Build 9926 as the guest, and Windows 8.1 Pro as the host OS. I've been running it for 3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by smalltalk, Jan 27, 2015.

1. smalltalk Win User

Compact a Hyper-V VHD

I have Hyper-V VM with the Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview Build 9926 as the guest, and Windows 8.1 Pro as the host OS. I've been running it for 3 months now, with at least 2 build updates. But I can't compact the VHD. The used drive space on the VM guest is 16.8 GB, while the size of the .vhdx is 24.8 GB. That is 8 GB space that could be removed.

I've tried doing the compact within Hyper-V Manager. But I can't get the .vhdx file to shrink any more. I don't want to defrag the virtual drive from the guest OS because my host OS is running from a solid state drive.

So how do I recover those 8 GB on my host machine?

:)

smalltalk, Jan 27, 2015
  2. SarahKong Win User

Hyper-V Virtual Machine not recognised

Ok that's why you can't add it... Virtual Machines are stored in a .vhd or .vhdx file. The xml file is used for the VMs but you also have to have a valid vhd

https://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/hyper-vs-relatio...

Are you trying to import one you used previously or just trying to create a new VM?

SarahKong, Jan 27, 2015
  3. Hyper-V VHD issue (RAID 0 setup)

Hello all,

I just tried using Hyper-V after upgrading my desktop hardware to a setup with 2 drives (identical drives) in a RAID0 setup.

Before the upgrade (and reïnstallation of Windows 10) i was able to create as many VM's with VHD as i want, however sinds the upgrade of my hardware this is no longer possible.

When i now try to create a new VM in Hyper-V Manager in the final step i get an error saying that the storage location on my Virtual Harddrive is not supporting sharing of Virtual Harddrives.

Does this mean that Hyper-V see's a RAID0 setup as a VHD and therefor is not capable of connecting VHD's to my VM's? Saying Hyper-V is not capable of working with RAID0 ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Kind Regards,

Bart

Apocalypss, Jan 27, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Compact a Hyper-V VHD

You will probably have to defrag it. One defrag isn't going to kill your SSD.

Mystere, Jan 27, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

You could do it "The brute force way"

1) From the VM run an image backup (Acronis etc). Backup to an external HDD.
    2) delete the original Vhd files
    3) Re-create a NEW VM but don't install the OS. Define disk size to what you want now.
    4) Recover the old image via Acronis - your VM should be able to boot from an ISO initially so no probs running a recovery. Use Macrium or similar if you don't have Acronis.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Compact a Hyper-V VHD

1. Compact a Hyper-V VHD - Similar Threads - Compact Hyper VHD

2. Problems uploading VHD to hyper V server

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problems uploading VHD to hyper V server: Hello,I have installed a fresh bare metal Hyper V server . It has not joined a domainI have configured its management according to this https://timothygruber.com/hyper-v-2/remotely-managing-hyper-v-server-in-a-workgroup-or-non-domain/I am able to access it from a Windows...
  3. Problems uploading VHD to hyper V server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems uploading VHD to hyper V server: Hello,I have installed a fresh bare metal Hyper V server . It has not joined a domainI have configured its management according to this https://timothygruber.com/hyper-v-2/remotely-managing-hyper-v-server-in-a-workgroup-or-non-domain/I am able to access it from a Windows...
  4. Problems uploading VHD to hyper V server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't convert a VHDX with Convert-VHD in PowerShell or in Hyper-V Manager

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't convert a VHDX with Convert-VHD in PowerShell or in Hyper-V Manager: I have a VHDX file that is an image of the system drive in a new laptop, created with Diskpart version 10.0.19041.1: create vdisk file="D:\PC_Original.vhdx" type=expandable source="\\.\physicaldrive0" If this is successful it was, I should be able to store and work with...
  6. How to convert VHD to VHDX using Hyper-V Manager

in Windows 10 News
    How to convert VHD to VHDX using Hyper-V Manager: [ATTACH]If you have a VHD file and you want to convert it to VHDX format, you can use Hyper-V Manager to get it done. This […] This post How to convert VHD to VHDX using Hyper-V Manager is from TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Annoyance with ViBoot Losing VHD's, Visible but not Usable in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Annoyance with ViBoot Losing VHD's, Visible but not Usable in Hyper-V: It's common for ViBoot to lose a virtual machine. I'm aware of the problem of using checkpoints with ViBoot; sometimes removing checkpoints will allow ViBoot to see the virtual machine again. This is not always the case. I have a virtual machine created using ViBoot that is...
  8. Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V: Hi, As anyone tried Hyper-V yet, as isn't it suppose to be an emulator so we can play old games like Silver etc... 6618
  9. Hyper-V - Native Boot VHD

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V - Native Boot VHD: How to: Hyper-V - Native Boot VHD [img] Information First a quote from Microsoft Developer Network's (MSDN) support article: Native Boot allows you to create a virtual hard disk (VHD), install Windows to it, and then boot it up, either on your PC side-by-side with...
  10. Hyper-V - Create and Use VHD of Windows 10 with Disk2VHD

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V - Create and Use VHD of Windows 10 with Disk2VHD: How to: Hyper-V - Create and Use VHD of Windows 10 with Disk2VHD How to Create VHD of Windows 10 Installation and Use in Hyper-V [img] Note The tutorial has been updated today (20-MAR-2017). Please post all your questions about this process in this thread. Please...
Tags: